missmimi

Differences of 1/3" & 1/4" lens

But seriously... the difference between CAMERAS? The actual measurement IS the cameras - the number refers to the size of the camera's sensor.

From my non-technical point of view; the main difference as has been said already, is the size. A 1/3" sensor is 33% bigger than a 1/4" sensor.

Now, with the same characteristics, a 1/3" sensor will be better than the same 1/4" sensor, because it will give you more clear colours/details. The difference is minimum, on paper a 1/3" Sony 480TVL sensor should give the same quality than a 1/4" Sony 480 TVL sensor, since they all are from the same manufacturer and have the same lines of resolution, but colours, brightness, contrats, and image quality in general would be better on the 1/3" sensor, given its size.

If you are speaking about the lens; I think that nowadays it is very difficult to fins lenses for 1/4" (I think impossible, like I think trhey do not make any more lenses for C mount). I usually work only with CS mount 1/3" lenses, which will work on on 1/4" sensors and 1/3" sensors. The view angle will be bigger with the 1/3" sensor, the 1/4" sensor will be missing/loosing/skipping some light on the sides, since it will be smaller that the lens.

You'll find that most cameras with 1/3" or 1/2" sensors use C/CS mount lenses, while 1/4" cameras usually use the "mini" lens mounts (not sure exactly what that form factor is called). Not ALWAYS the case, but that's usually how it works.

so is one better than the other by default? what are the characteristics of each?

the simple answer, for fixed cameras (non PTZ) always go for 1/3" over 1/4", if you have a choice.

From my non-technical point of view; the main difference as has been said already, is the size. A 1/3" sensor is 33% bigger than a 1/4" sensor

Where did you get the value 33%? Sensors are two dimensional and the length (e.g. 1/4", 1/3", etc) is shorthand for one side of a rectangular sensor. A 1/3" sensor is approximately twice the area of a 1/4" sensor, and a 1/2" sensor is approximately twice the area of a 1/3" sensor.

One advantage of larger sensors is the ability to collect more light. Twice the area typically means twice as many photons.

Best,

Christopher

the 1/4" sensor will be missing/loosing/skipping some light on the sides,

That should come as no surprise, given that lenses are round and sensors are rectangular.

Best,

Christopher

Where did you get the value 33%? Sensors are two dimensional and the length (e.g. 1/4", 1/3", etc) is shorthand for one side of a rectangular sensor. A 1/3" sensor is approximately twice the area of a 1/4" sensor, and a 1/2" sensor is approximately twice the area of a 1/3" sensor.

Oooops, indeed...!!

From my non-technical point of view; the main difference as has been said already, is the size. A 1/3" sensor is 33% bigger than a 1/4" sensor

Not quite right. From http://www.cctv-information.co.uk/i/Equipment_Overview

Sensor sizes: Early cameras had a circular tube as the sensor therefore the size was decided by the diameter of the tube, which is the diagonal measurement of the picture. This is still the case today so although CCD sensors are flat rectangular chips the nominal size is the diagonal measurement.