Geo 8.2 Problems or opinions

Can someone tell me why my 8.2 Software looks different than the picture above. It seems I have all the new options like PIP. And it says it is version 8.2 But the face or skin is the same as before. Not like the pic. above. Do I have a fake or beta or something? Thanks Dave

My problem with 8.20 is that I don't think I can run it with my GV-600-8 v3 card due to the copy protection involved.

Does anyone know if Geovision is planning to allow older hardware revisions of the card to be able to run 8.2? I really want to use some of the features of 8.2 on my GV-600 card. I feel cheated that I am not allowed to run this version as I paid a small chunk of change for this card, and most video cards, digitizing cards, computer hardware in general allows you to upgrade to the latest drivers \ software that are available.

This has always been an issue with Geovision and I am wondering if it has changed yet?

In case anyone missed it (I did)

The hybrid system only supports 8 IP cams.

It is therefore not possible to have for example 14 IP cams and 2 analoge

cams.

So wot are you using for storage, Im waiting in a coupla 1.5 TB hdd's from my supplier, they have been on back order since They came onto the price list

I am installing a shed load of gv1480 systems, but find that because of the limited storage space with on board sata ports, it isn't worth running Ip cams yet,

My problem with 8.20 is that I don't think I can run it with my GV-600-8 v3 card due to the copy protection involved.

Does anyone know if Geovision is planning to allow older hardware revisions of the card to be able to run 8.2? I really want to use some of the features of 8.2 on my GV-600 card. I feel cheated that I am not allowed to run this version as I paid a small chunk of change for this card, and most video cards, digitizing cards, computer hardware in general allows you to upgrade to the latest drivers \ software that are available.

This has always been an issue with Geovision and I am wondering if it has changed yet?

I feel short changed because I bought a car and it wont allow me to go to the MOON,

and..............................

You paid how much for gv600, man I paid 4k wholesale for gv1000 some yrs ago, stop your whining, it only had v7 back then, and........ We upgraded.

I feel short changed because I bought a car and it wont allow me to go to the MOON,

and..............................

You paid how much for gv600, man I paid 4k wholesale for gv1000 some yrs ago, stop your whining, it only had v7 back then, and........ We upgraded.

While it is fortunate that you have 4k to spend on a surveillance system, many consumers do not have that amount to spend, hence the reason for the much lower priced Geovision cards like the GV-600.

Perhaps you think it's fair that consumers should have to re-purchase the same hardware twice just so they can run the 8.x version, however, if all dvr companies thought that was normal, it would be very unfortunate.

Imagine if you had to do the same thing everytime you wanted to upgrade your video card or printer software. You'd have to re-purchase the same card\printer multiple times. That just isn't a very fair business practice.

Instead, this is a Geovision hack to deal with piracy, nothing more, and it is a business practice that they need to some day address so consumers don't continue to get ripped off by it.

To use your analogy with an automobile, it would be like purchasing a new car one year, and then a year later, having to re-purchase the vehicle so you could upgrade the stereo, instead of just paying a small stereo upgrade fee, or having small issues with the stereo repaired.

You could sell the car, getting less then you paid for it, and purchase the same exact model with a newer stereo, but the consumer should not have to do that.

The Geovision you purchased, may have been for your business as you are a reseller. For home use a person may pay several hundred dollars for a piece of equipment that should last several years, at least 4 or 5, and being stuck on the original buggy software from the year of purchase is just wrong, for almost ANY kind of hardware. I still have a WinTV dvr by Hauppage that is even older than that and I never had to re-purchase the card to run the latest software that the company released for it.

For a home consumer, having to re-purchase the same hardware, just to upgrade the software is just wrong, most people realize this, some do not. Dealers may be less likely to run into this type of issue as they sell so much hardware and probably could pawn the old cards off on others quite easily, home consumers have to find other avenues and usually won't recoup the costs.

It's just how Geovision has been handling the piracy issue and until enough people point out the problems\issues with this policy, the longer it will take for Geovision to address them.

Many companies will not do anything to correct issues until a very large percentage of the customers complain about the issues. Look how long it took Microsoft to admit they were selling junky 360's. It took years of consumer complaints to get MS to finally admit, and then fix the issues at hand with the 360.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

At least MS finally addressed the issues at hand, Geovision has yet to do the same with the Geovision software upgrade issue, and until enough people complain, this very poor software policy will remain in place.

I must be used to it

I.R Australia do the same with INSIGHT, a software package for connecting to alarm systems to program and run as a front end (user management system).

I have used many many geo cards over 4 + yrs and have never had issue I even have a gv650-8 in my office as gv1000 was over kill I only have 6 cams, it allowed me to u/g to v8.xx

I personally don't see it as an issue, and cant see how v6/ v7 was buggy, works well for loads of sites even still today......

I don't feel there is enough merit in your claim for such a low end card to have to be fully upgradeable to the very latest s/w yrs later, just so you can get the latest features, which many ppl dont even use, but the better codecs I spose would be a benefit going from mpeg4 to h264 even

Ill send a complaint to geo direct if you like on ur behalf, form me a reseller/installer.... Is that OK Scooby?

cheers

The more complaints the better I would imagine. I have sent several to Geovision but I fear they have gone into a void. My hope is that some day enough persons will send in the complaints and they will eventually redesign the method they use for combating piracy with the cards.

I have read other posts on this forum regarding the very same issue so I know that I am not the only one who has run into the issue but my guess is Geovision just hasn't received enough complaints yet to justify a change in their procedures. Perhaps someday, if enough users run into the problem. It will be interesting to see what they do when they release 9.x versions of Geovision. I wonder if they will try the dongle route again at that time? Will be interesting to see.

At the same time Geovision will launch GV 9.0.1.0 software they will introduce a new hardware product called: USB HUB this is told to could have as much as 10 different USB dongles at the same time, but only from Geovision!

This will then include; GV-Upgrade Dongle for only 100,- USD, IP camera Dongles, IP camera non Geovision brand dongles, Dongle for dipmap, dongle for piracy A and dongle for Piracy B, you need 2 matching piracy dongles, 1 blue and 1 pink for be able to view and record video, further more, if you have a PTZ and are at a windy place you must have a dongle for the anti vibration, also if it somedays are raining, you need a dongle for the video enhanchinf features, to really boost the dongle volume, the webcam will also require a dongle, but not only at server site, but also on every client side, these dongles will be green for server side and yellow for client. Then if you have several sites, and would like to use CCS, VSM and Center V2 Pro, you now have to have dongles for this as before, but now you also need 1 dongle for each client site. Other rumors is that the stockholders in Geovision is using the downside on the stock exchange to buy stocks in dongle companies!

Dongel bells, dongle bells, dongle all the way!

Since they now had made a new version hardware, they should have been able to start thinking in other ways then what they have done!

JD

The more complaints the better I would imagine. I have sent several to Geovision but I fear they have gone into a void. My hope is that some day enough persons will send in the complaints and they will eventually redesign the method they use for combating piracy with the cards.

I have read other posts on this forum regarding the very same issue so I know that I am not the only one who has run into the issue but my guess is Geovision just hasn't received enough complaints yet to justify a change in their procedures. Perhaps someday, if enough users run into the problem. It will be interesting to see what they do when they release 9.x versions of Geovision. I wonder if they will try the dongle route again at that time? Will be interesting to see.