kentuckynet

Camera to Pc ..what card for viewing, not recording

Ok i have 1 camera and will one day have 2 so what type of card do i need to put in my pc that will allow me to use the windows xp and then maybe click a ico and be able to see whos at the gates when the gates call.

I dont need to be able to view it all the time just when the gate calls....the pc is always on.....is there anything out there that will work for me?

Will the all in wonder video capture cards work?

If so

Do they allow the pc video source and the camera video source to work at the same time?

thank you

You can use a PCI card with or without TV tuner, use the comp/ in on the board (often a rca input, get adapter bnc to rca) or you can get a board like http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_impactvcb.html order with BNC or just get a budget cctv capture card and use only for monitor....if you dont want to record. You can also modulate camera through house TV sys (asign a channel... if it is digital box there are work arounds) and with a computer TV card you can view the camera on the computer as well the tvs throughout the house. The ATI will work ....there are several TV cards on the market most have a comp in and a Svideo imput....you can switch between sources but not use all at the same time. The performance of the card will be dependent on the speed and build of the computer...more memory. chip etc...

"Do they allow the pc video source and the camera video source to work at the same time? " Yes the video imput on the card you choose will allow you to size a view window on the puter screen you can bring it up or send it to another screen (if you are using dual monitors.)

If you dont want to add another card or dont have the space you can also use a USB type input with a dongle to bring in a video source....several on the market....dont recommend for cctv record but for your simple monitor application it will work.

I think all the video capture card can suit for your requirement.

You can search the "video capture card" by google.

The PVR500 owns the Impact, I would highly suggest you go that route. You will also have higher quality video then any of the DVRs you normally see. Of course your filesizes will show it if you ever record, mine does awesome at about 3.5 GB/hr per channel.

I would simply use a video intercom, plenty aroud that use more then one camera.

Or you could use a video server, connected to the camera...get one with I/O inputs, you can then tell it to send and pop up video on your pc when the button is pressed at the gate.

If you dont require a button, then simply wire your camera into your home television on one of the AV inputs, you can then use your remote to see who is at the gate.