Cablemonkey

Splitting Moniter feed 6 ways

I volunteer at my local Emergency Management Agency, and installed there camera system they use in there new building, it is a 16 camera DVR, I have 4 monitors on it right now for the Director, Asst Director, Operations officer, and the Drivers license center, they are wanting 2 more put in, one for the Highway Patrol office, and the reseptionist. Here is what i am running into ( i dont have the DVR model number in front of me at the moment ) I have tried just a 6-way splitter and nothing, i also put an amp in before the splitter to see if it would deal with signal lose, but it didnt work eather, i cant even get the 6-way splitter to run the original 4 monitors i have to use the old splitter. What am i missing.

Any help would be great

( I will get some numbers off the amp and splitter and post them when i get them in front of me, but off the top of my head the splitter is 5-1000Mgz at -11db, i think that sound right? )

Are you using cable/antenna splitters for composite video? That won't work correctly. You can only do that after the video has been "modulated" to a TV channel.

You have three choices, depending on the configuration of the monitors:

1. If each monitor has "looping" on the video inputs, you can daisy-chain them; going from the looping output of one monitor to the input of the next. If each has a termination switch, leave it in "high" on all monitors except tha last one.

2. You can install an "RF Modulator", take the output from that and split it to all monitors using the antenna splitters. Each monitor would need to have a tuner for this.

3. You can buy a "distribution amplifier" and use it to split the composite video signals to the monitors.

Here is how it is run. Out of the BNC video out of the DVR, all the cable is RG6 (the closest of the 4 monitors that are working now is at least 40' from the soarse) run into a splitter/combiner, then out to the Video 1 of the "monitors" which i should have mentioned are just flat panel TV's.

It sounds like you are using a CATV/MATV amp which is for RF and not video. How you have gotten any of this to work is a mystery to me.

You need a video distribution amp.

Also; is your coax for CCTV? ie: 95% copper shield or are you using CATV cable. CCTV works best with copper shielding.

Good luck!

cd4.gif.e2118d2923ca3eb6405a75df7c32eb34.gif

Go get a cheap VCR and set it up near the DVR.

Plug the DVR into an input on the VCR as if you would record from it.

Move the modulated channel switch to 3 or 4 just make not.

Run the RF out from the VCR to your cable TV splitter.

Connect the TVs to their RF Cable/Ant inputs

Turn the VCR to Aux or input1 or channel 0 or whatever.

Tune the TVs to channel 3 or 4.

Optionally you may use that amp inbetween the VCR and the splitter.

You can also just buy a modulator and do the same thing, I just assumed you may have an old VCR laying around... Even the cheapo DVD install kit at Wal-Mart modulator would work, you need to have a specific channel.

If those TVs also have cable TV this can be done differently to inject the cameras onto a specific channel.

I would agree with Survtech, if you are feeding the additonal monitors by way of a composite input ("video 1" as stated, most panels will have either a RCA or Svideo in) then use a distribution amplifier (powered - dependent on your distance) Vac has some reliable well built bricks, I use them with excellent results for multi-monitor set ups: http://www.vac-brick.com/ check out their CCTV products. I would avoid cheaper off the shelf dist/amps they often are problematic. If this is a not a dedicated system and you are going through cable tv then modulate if you wish to create a channel for viewing on all connected "tV' sets.