rajeshcd

Wireless connectivity for CCTV Surveillance Solution

Dear All

Request you to please suggest how to connect CCTV cameras with wireless connectivity. Please suggest what all the components are involved in the design and how to do the same with the technical information.

thanks and regards

Rajesh

Dear All

Request you to please suggest how to connect CCTV cameras with wireless connectivity. Please suggest what all the components are involved in the design and how to do the same with the technical information.

thanks and regards

Rajesh

IMHO... if you are looking at wireless coz u want to save on cabling.... not really advisable. Coz those within that budget will give you crappy reception and also security or privacy issues as most likely they would not be encrypted.

If it's not really of $$ issues why you would want to use wireless, but rather the area of coverage, and the requirement of the system to be mobile, etc that's why it has to be wireless.. then u'll have to come up with more requirement. E.g. area of coverage, distance to transmit, channels in use, legal frequency to transmit upon, etc. But just an end note... these wireless equipments will not be cheap then.

I agree with Daryl733 in regards to analog wireless cameras.

If you do analog wireless then use a 1 watt system with seperate transmitter / recievers, and not the kind with built in transmitters inside of the camera. These kind of packages only use about 100 milliwatts of power, or so, which is the same as a child's walkie talkie!

The package will say 300 feet line of sight. This means that the antennas will have to see each other. If they are blocked by a wall then you need to get the two closer together to keep the same "energy level" up. The more walls that you penetrate the closer you have to put the two together.

Here is a trick that I do. If I have a camera that is wireless, and it is attached to an out building, then I will put the receiver inside on the wall so that I am only penetrating one wall. I then run wires from the receiver back to the DVR.

What do you think?

Here is a trick that I do. If I have a camera that is wireless, and it is attached to an out building, then I will put the receiver inside on the wall so that I am only penetrating one wall. I then run wires from the receiver back to the DVR.

What do you think?

Normally I'll advise very strongly against wireless camera.

You can't get rid of the interference, and the images will be forever jumpy.

Given that most DVR has video motion detection, this would continously triggered it and you'll get constant event recording regardless of motion. Wastage of space, and also time to review the recording.

Plus the fact that most compression algorithum fare badly with images that has interferences, you'll get lousy playback images as well.

After highlighting all these, if customers still wants go ahead, of course we would continue, it'd then be a "I told you so" afterwards......at least we would had already give our expert advise.

And yes.. about the wireless...... nobody seems to know that wireless cameras still need power... they all think that wireless mean totally no wire. Did any manufacturer comes up with inbuilt nuclear powered wireless camera that i didn't know about ?

When customers are talking price I include 365 9 volt batteries, and the first thing they say is why 365??

Well! Don't you want to change it out every day so that you will have video?

What??

Lithium 9 volts are about $10.00 each!!

O.K. Now which camera is cheaper??

Oh! To run a wire through the attic for power to the camera is a minimum $100.00 charge! We charge more for cathedral ceiling with no crawl space!!

Thank you very much for your valuable advise.

The solution issue is not only subjected to budget alone, but the arial distance is more.

This situation is just like, consider the case of a big club, spread across 3-4 miles in diameter, which includes a health club, restaurants, coffee shops, snooker club, and many others spread across the entire area. And the surveillance is to be done in the entire area and the cabling seems to be bit difficult in that area...

So In such a case, what sort of solution do u suggest.

thanks and regards

Rajesh

Thank you very much for your valuable advise.

The solution issue is not only subjected to budget alone, but the arial distance is more.

This situation is just like, consider the case of a big club, spread across 3-4 miles in diameter, which includes a health club, restaurants, coffee shops, snooker club, and many others spread across the entire area. And the surveillance is to be done in the entire area and the cabling seems to be bit difficult in that area...

So In such a case, what sort of solution do u suggest.

thanks and regards

Rajesh

Cheapest and most secure way for recording and monitoring... IMHO...

Localised Recording, and integration vie wireless network.

Identify a few secure location around the whole compound. These will be the place where you'll locate the DVR. Cabling from various Cameras around that DVR will be connected directly to the recorder vie hard wire.

From there, establish a wireless bridge across to your main building. Same for the other satalites dvr station. Choose a DVR that support CMS.

You'll be able to hook up a PC to the network, and monitor all cameras connected to various DVR spread out in your compound at the same time. You'll also be able to download and manage all cameras data from that PC.

In this case, even during bad weather where all wireless basically turn crappy, you'll still have reliable recording despite slow tranmission of live data. Ya.. that's what I forgot to mention as well. All wireless tranmission, including WIFI, Analogue Video Tranmission, will suffer greatly during bad weather, i.e. RAIN. as basically the raindrops will reflect, refract, disperse the rf tranmission. So that's another thought if you want to do wireless.

Can you use IP over powerline?

This means usng the "internet" that is transmitted over the electrical lines.

Netgear among others have the devices needed to convert this on to your power system. You might be able to use IP cameras.

What do you think?

I cant see any problems using WIFI in bridge mode with high gain antennas

pointing at each other and a small video server if your using analog cams.

IP cams make it even easier like a ACTi ACM-3411]

A high gain omni antenna back at base up high on the DVR site [12dBi+] and small 14dBi + patch antennas on each of the camera sites -

3-4 miles is not a problem -but make sure you get 100mW + units

The bonus is its encrypted and flexible

Heaps of ski resorts do WIFI/ IP cams an their weather is shocking.

You could use 5ghz 802.11a if the 2.4 band is crowded

IP over power can be good unless you have motors around ...

And there will be problems if you use more than a few CAMS

z