bruno

RG Cable types for long underground runs?

Installing a camera about 350 - 400 feet away. The cable will be pulled through underground conduit. This conduit always gets moisture inside. Could eventually have the possibility of having standing water in the conduit. Do I need to use a direct burial rg cable becuase of the moisture in the conduit?

For this length of run should I use rg6 instead of rg59? What about quad shield?

bruno,

If it's just the one cable, then there's no problem with using RG 59B/U over that distance, although plastic armoured would be sensible given the moisture problems (just make sure you don't damage it when you pull it through).

Shielding shouldn't be an issue unless you're going to run other cables (mains etc.) alongside.

Cooperman,

In part of that run I will be adding a couple Cat5E cables for networking and another RG6 coax. for TV.

What now?

Thanks

Fibre Optic

Only joking; if you use a plastic armoured RG 59 B/U or RG 6 over what is a relatively short distance, I can't imagine you'd have any problems.

Ideally you need to try and get the water out of the conduit.

In some situations, you can use 'pull through' ropes left in the pipe to draw out the water by capillary action. It's either that or a very long straw ....

Incidentally, another option is to do it part cable and part video transmitter. I generally look at radio / microwave transmission as the last option, but if it's viable, it's certainly worth a thought.

anyone have a good source of supply for direct bury cable, both straight RG and Siamese?

And, If water collects in that underground pipe I'd suggest that you dig out a section and place in a small drainage "pit" under the pipe that will allow for the water to drain into. Use small rock and feed the drain into it. It will reduce collection of water.

I have heard that it is impossible to avoid condensation in burried pipes. I was told to "live with it" and install direct burriel cable. Then I guess it wouldn't matter if the pipes were full of water. A dainage pit will only work if the water table is always below the level of the pipe. Not the case is my situation. Here, the ground water is usually higher than the pipe during and after the rainy season. I'm having no problem finding direct burriel co-ax, just need to find a direct burial CAT5E to go in the ground with it.