ollietronics

please help... AVT 761 dvr

Hello everybody... i'm having a big problem, and wondering if you might be able to point out exactly i'm doing wrong.

I have just brought 4 wireless cctv cam with reviever.. they work just fine

but the dvr is hard to set-up. I believe its a AVT 761 (without usb), it connects to my laptop through LAN cable.

and the manual says that i should change my ip address to be able to use the software to connect with the dvr.

so i change the ip to 192.168.1.3

after a prompted restart i open the 'Video Sever E' program, fill out the admin password. click connect, 30 seconds later - 'Login procedure Failed'

i've tried changing my ip to several other addresses than 192.168.1.10 but still no luck... can someone help me out?

Many Thanks

Ollie

You will have to look at your computer. I will assume that you are using Microsoft Windows XP.

Click on the Start icon at the bottom left of your screen. Now click on 'control panel'. Now click on network connections. Now click on 'Local Area Connection'. Now click on the bottom left where it says properties. Now scroll till you see 'internet protocol (TCP/IP)'. When you double click on that line then you should see the properties page. Click on the round circle (also called a radio button) where it says "use the following IP address. Now you can enter an IP address that is higher then the IP address that is on your DVR.

If you are using a cross over cable then the computer should link up to the DVR.

If you do not have a cross over cable, then you will have to make one, or buy one.

Now that you have a cross over cable it should work.

Hi - i changed dvr off static to DHCP, no luck. The software i am using is Video Server E and when i type the ip address of the dvr into internet explorer, it cant find the page.

I believe it was tested before being sent to me, i did not enter 68.95.1.1 into the dvr it was already there.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Oliver Gardiner

Hello everybody... i'm having a big problem, and wondering if you might be able to point out exactly i'm doing wrong.

I have just brought 4 wireless cctv cam with reviever.. they work just fine

but the dvr is hard to set-up. I believe its a AVT 761 (without usb), it connects to my laptop through LAN cable.

and the manual says that i should change my ip address to be able to use the software to connect with the dvr.

so i change the ip to 192.168.1.3

after a prompted restart i open the 'Video Sever E' program, fill out the admin password. click connect, 30 seconds later - 'Login procedure Failed'

i've tried changing my ip to several other addresses than 192.168.1.10 but still no luck... can someone help me out?

Many Thanks

Ollie

IF you are connecting direct from your computer to the DVR then you need a crossover cable. If you are connecting the computer and DVR tp the same hub then you need two standard cables (DVR to hub and cmoputer to hub. Is the little "link" light turned on when the network cable is plugged in? If not, then the cable is wrong.

Once you have the DVR and the computer plugged iun and the link lights on both network ports is on, then the next step is to configure the IPs.

Use subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and assign the computer and the DVR a two different IP addresses that have the same first 3 numbers (that's what the "255" means). ie your computer can be 192.168.1.2 and the DVR can be 192.168.1.3

If you're connected directly to a DSL or cable modem and you computer has an IP address that does not start with 192.168, then that's probably becuase your computer is getting a public internet IP address from your ISP - don't connect your DVR directly to the public internet! You'd need to either disconnect your computer from the ISP long enough to configure teh DVR, or get a Router from your local computer store so you can connect the computer and DVR together while the computer can still see the internet. Alternatively, you could use a second network card in the computer and connect it direct to the DVR (crossover cable) - just don't set a default gateway on the 2nd netowrk card. Leave the 1st netowrk card configured for the internet and set the 2nd card to 192.168.1.3 etc.

Once you've done those, bring up a browser on the computer and type http://192.168.1.2 (assuming you set the DVR to that ip!) and see if it gives you the browser login.

Once you have the browser login page then your network is set up correctly. Next step is to log in using the video server software. AS long as you use the proper user/password you'll be fine.

Hi - it's a direct connection to the dvr, and i am using a cross over cable. picked one up yesterday. also.. the LED light on back of dvr is on and flashing randomly next to the LAN port.

I have disabled the wireless connection so the computer cant get online.

the dvr ip is 192.168.1.10 so i set the computers LAN ip to 192.168.1.11

and the subnet mask is automatically changed to 255.255.255.0

what about the 'Default gateway'? do i leave it empty? or type 192.168.1.65

And also do i type in a preferred DNS server? the dvr has a DNS of 168.095.001.001

everytime i make a change i check it in internet explorer by searching for the dvr address of 192.168.1.10 but cant find page. and the login with 'Video Server E' is always unsuccessful.

Please can someone help me.

Many Thanks

Oliver Gardiner

OK! This setup looks good!

Now we are on a common page. Do not change any settings.

I am going to think about this, and I will post back.

Another question:

Did the DVR come with Video Server E on a disc?

The reason I ask is that some of the older DVR may have used Video Server S.

I did not know if you bought the DVR new, or used?

While directly connected you shouldn't have to worry about DNS or Gateway yet.

Can you ping the DVR?

How long is your cross over cable?

It is good news that you have a link light on the LAN port, but it could still be a cabling issue. If you have lots of extra cable coiled up that can cause errors. Is there another cable you can use for troubleshooting to eliminate your patch cable as the problem?

Have you rebooted everything? When everything looks right, but still doesn't work I power cycle everything and test again. Do you have a network switch you can use for testing? Sometimes I have problems connecting with a crossover. But if I put a small switch or hub inline I can often connect that way.

I want to check one more thing.

Looking at the monitor that is connected to the DVR, look up what the port number is. Is it number 80?

Let me know what this number is.

thanks for the questions...

the DVR software, Video Server E came on disc - and i'm pretty sure i brought it new.

what exactly do you mean by ping the DVR?

my cross over cable is brand new and is 2meters - unfortunately i only have the one. I do reboot when i make a change.

as for a switch or hub. i've got a BT-Home-hub thing!? and an Apple Airport Base Station. would the bt homehub work? do i use a standard ethernet cable for that or the cross over?

Yes when i look at the port number on the DVR its currently set to 0080.

one quick question - i've just been outside arranging some cameras around a wireless receiver, and my tv monitor just turned black&white ! everthing is now b&W including DVR menu system. Does this sound like my TV playing up or is it the DVR?

I'm actually taking the DVR kit to my university tomorrow to show the techie's... i'm going to try to hook it up there on different pc's/monitors.

but in the meantime, i'm still going to try get this damm dvr to connect.

Many Thanks

Ollie

Yes, The BT home hub would probably do it. The problem is it may complicate things now if you are not very comfortable with computer networking. IP conflicts, DHCP issues, ect. A simple switch not being used by anything else would be the best way of bypassing the crossover cable for testing. And yes, you would then use straight through cables.

The reason I focus first on cabling is because

A) I'm a cabling guy

B) It seems I've had as many problems using crossover cables as I have had success.

C) It often IS a cabling issue.

Pinging the DVR allows you to verify you can reach the device. This may help determine that you are connected to the device and your problem is elsewhere.

Click Start

Click Run

Next to "open" type cmd then click open

A new black window will open. At the cursor type: ping 192.168.1.3

(or what ever the DVR IP address is) and hit enter.

A few lines of "reply" numbers should pop up anywhere from a couple of seconds to several seconds . What are those numbers?

If you are getting "request time out" or "Host unreachable" that is bad. If you get lines back that have an entry like "time=1ms" in them that is good. Not all devices return ping requests but I have access to a AV760 and it does return ping requests.

Okay - after typing the ping, it said "request time out" four packets sent, Zero packets received. (100% lost). So i guess it does not work.

i would try using the bt home hub but i dont have a second ethernet cable.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Oliver Gardiner

please try to use another cable or try this procedure.

1. connect the dvr to your laptop via LAN cable(Cross cable)

2.please check the ip of your computer. or set it to 192.168.1.100

2.run video server e

3. click the magnifying glass

[/img]

4. you can edit the ip address of the dvr on this window. the default username and password is admin. if you can't search any device something is wrong with the cable. or check the dvr if it has network setting otherwise the dvr is damaged.

AV2.JPG.667ab79be1acf7147e1687ef06d11470.JPG

av1.JPG.a0e8285fe080f2b1686f77aa679a3797.JPG

how can i connect the dvr 761 to internet?

should i use computer? or directly from dvr 761 to adsl modem?

and what should i type in the client computer? (ip of the dvr 760 or ip from isp ? )

thanks before

how can i connect the dvr 761 to internet?

should i use computer? or directly from dvr 761 to adsl modem?

and what should i type in the client computer? (ip of the dvr 760 or ip from isp ? )

thanks before

you need to connect the computer and dvr on the same network if you are going to use video web server e software to configure the dvr.

ADSL MODEM >> ROUTER >> DVR

1. you can connect it to a router so other computer can also use the internet. for this setup you have to set the port forwarding and DDNS setup of the router. for the dvr, you have to set the ip address to static on the network setting based on the address of your router ( 192.168.1.1) . your dvr ip should be (192.168.1.X) X is any number from 1 to 254 that is not yet used. also input the address of the gateway which is the ip address of the router.

ADSL MODEM >> DVR

2. you can connect the dvr directly to the ADSL modem. but first you must use video server e and connect to the dvr. on the setting you need to set the DDNS. then you have to set the ip to DHCP ( if you modem will auto dial). if your modem is will not autodial, you can set it to PPPOE and input the username and password for the DSL.

there is a search function on the video server software. after searching the device you just click the address and it will be automatically loaded on the ip address field. [/b]

thanks to scorpion and si_kungs ...

hmm.. i have more question about this

can i connect the dvr to internet for some periode or only if i wanna see the camera?

cause in here i have limited quota (i.e 1 Gb / month)

and if i download something from internet, its say my ip address is downloading a file? (hmm.. i'm using shared ip address? and can i use it for the dvr connection? )

sir martini. you can always connect the dvr to your internet. you will only use the bandwidth only when you are viewing it. what do you mean by shared ip address?