si_kungs

how to check authentic geovision cards

If it is being sold on ebay, its either fake, or not worth buying unless you are not concerned about a lack of support/warranty from geovision (as they do not cover any geo cards sold on a auction site)

yep, tried fake as well ..... they hang, restart, etc ... picture quality is less.

not worth it !

Test: download (don't use the CD you got with the card) 8.2 from Geovision and try to run it .... if fake it will fail.

I too would like to know

BEFORE PURCHASE if a card was fake or not.

Note I say BEFORE purchase- and note also that there ARE NOS (New old stock) "genuine" products out there in ANY PRODUCT line of ANY mfg for sale.

There are dealers who buy inventory for example- then go out of business, they get divorced, etc, etc that need to sell off inventory. Additionally there may be a dealer that buys inventory for a job, then that job goes up in smoke selling off items.

There are also used items out there. Be it whatever mfg.

For whatever reason I'd like to know how to spot a fake.

Wish Geovision would post high resolution pics... the pics on the Geovision site a joke...

.[/b]

It is in Serbian lenguage, try it to translate in English. You have a picture of fake and original.

here is the link of serbian-english dictonary

brankorackovic,

Thanks for the rar, Any chance you could maybe translate to English and reupload it somewhere?

Not having much luck with the translator(s)...

Bottom line is to buy from a reputable GeoVision dealer.

if they dont know a thing about GeoVision, then also dont buy from them.

Bottom line is to buy from a reputable GeoVision dealer.

if they dont know a thing about GeoVision, then also dont buy from them.

Rory,

If you were to go out of business tomorrow - wife divorces you (or whatever) and you had $10-$100,000 of inventory and due to various reasons could NOT sell that inventory for say a year or two due to various reasons.

(E.G: Legal reasons for example)

Would Geovision, Kodicom, etc refund (buy back) all your inventory paying you FULL PRICE for all your NOS inventory?

Would your fellow dealers buy all your OLD NOS items, paying you FULL PRICE for such?

The answer is probably NO as no-one wants that old inventory, unless they can get it cheap.

Regardless I've noticed on this board it is extremely hostile towards anyone buying second hand.

(Not surprising I guess since it appears most here are dealers.)

In a nutshell not all of us can count off several thousand dollars as a "BUSINESS EXPENSE" due to them being able to count off the equipment on their taxes. Some us have to buy used.

BTW: Due to various reasons systems /cards components come up for sale... You do realize items being bought from a "reputable dealer" may have to be resold because the person needed CASH.

Once again:

1) How are people supposed to tell if the card is real on a transaction in which a decision to buy, or not buy has to be made on the spot?

2) What is the main issue on clone cards if you happen to get one by mistake- Is it ok to use those cards with non-Geovision software?

Hi, first, it is mostly dealers/installers that keep this forum alive. They are the ones that are in this business day in and day out, there are a few long term end users and they must be commended as well.

Also, If one is going to buy an old product then thats a chance they have to take. Ebay is well known for cloned cards, as is China. Its no conspiracy, it is how it is, I personally have received endless emails from Chinese companies with their price sheets, listing Geo, Kodicom, and previously AnyKeeper illegal cards - at rock bottom pricing - then they have their legal card versions of those as well. Ofcourse this is mostly spam emails just sent to my website contact email, and ofcourse I dont do any business with them.

Typically, with Kodicom, they dont sell the cards to end users, so automatically when that topic comes up, its locked as it is considered a pirated card.

For GeoVision, harder to tell. Typically the pirated Geo will:

1-Be 7.05 version or lower only

2-Come with an Unlabeled CD which rarely works or requires manual exploring to locate driver hacks and so forth. Basically it will look like someone just slapped a couple files and folders on there and didnt bother to tell the user what to do with it.

3-Not come with a user manual at all, or come with a copied one.

4-Drivers may not install at all or even if they do system can become unstable.

5-Price will be considerably lower than a genuine card.

If its not a genuine card then its hard for us to help with troubleshooting, as the amount of Problems that can arise are too many. Not to mention that it is illegal so we cannot even consider talking about it. If it is a second hand card, not from a reputable GeoVision dealer, then again it will be hard to tell whether it is genuine or not. I dont see any hostility towards second hand cards though, perhaps Ebay, but thats a given as mentioned above.

It is in Serbian lenguage, try it to translate in English. You have a picture of fake and original.

brankorackovic,

Thanks for the rar, Any chance you could maybe translate to English and reupload it somewhere?

Yes I will translate and upload here today

brankorackovic,

It`s changed. I translate in English

Hi, first, it is mostly dealers/installers that keep this forum alive. They are the ones that are in this business day in and day out, there are a few long term end users and they must be commended as well.

Also, If one is going to buy an old product then thats a chance they have to take. Ebay is well known for cloned cards, as is China. Its no conspiracy, it is how it is, I personally have received endless emails from Chinese companies with their price sheets, listing Geo, Kodicom, and previously AnyKeeper illegal cards - at rock bottom pricing - then they have their legal card versions of those as well. Ofcourse this is mostly spam emails just sent to my website contact email, and ofcourse I dont do any business with them.

Typically, with Kodicom, they dont sell the cards to end users, so automatically when that topic comes up, its locked as it is considered a pirated card.

For GeoVision, harder to tell. Typically the pirated Geo will:

1-Be 7.05 version or lower only

2-Come with an Unlabeled CD which rarely works or requires manual exploring to locate driver hacks and so forth. Basically it will look like someone just slapped a couple files and folders on there and didnt bother to tell the user what to do with it.

3-Not come with a user manual at all, or come with a copied one.

4-Drivers may not install at all or even if they do system can become unstable.

5-Price will be considerably lower than a genuine card.

If its not a genuine card then its hard for us to help with troubleshooting, as the amount of Problems that can arise are too many. Not to mention that it is illegal so we cannot even consider talking about it. If it is a second hand card, not from a reputable GeoVision dealer, then again it will be hard to tell whether it is genuine or not. I dont see any hostility towards second hand cards though, perhaps Ebay, but thats a given as mentioned above.

I by GV 650 fake card to see difference. When you by you have to tell what version of software you need. only 6.5 and 8.0 and there is a difference in price. As I know , GV fake pc cards is made in CHINA. I know for this type .GV-600,650,800,900,1000.

The original gv software can not work with fake gv cards.

When I put the gv card in copm. it works fine 6-7 hours. I get error mesage on every 3-4 hours "GENERIC WIN 32 HOST PROCESOR" (or something like that)

I have that gv software for fake Gv pc cards (8.0). If someone whant to see a difference i can to upload somewhere. maby Andy or Rory?

brankorackovic,

It`s changed. I translate in English

Thanks!, much better in English for those of us that don't read /speak Serbian.

Got a idea for those that "know" these cards.

1) Using the above doc as a template how about those "in the know" add to it...

(Better pics, the differences, the problems real, vs fake as briefly touched on by Rory above. ) Before anyone starts jumping up and down it would in a nutshell be a doc that would work in Geovision's favor by listing the problems affecting the fakes. - Or features the fake cards can't do

Example:

A: Fake can't run 8.xx software- 8.xx software having a feature (or features!) the person needs.

B: (Detailed) Run time error messages /problems

Example:

GV 650 fake card

Running 6.5 and 8.0

With v8.0 Works fine 6-7 hours then displays error message "GENERIC WIN 32 HOST PROCESOR" every 3-4 hours

BTW: This kind of info would benefit Geo's bottom line in the form of increased sales and it would also help Geo's bottom line for those persons who think they have a original and they don't... (Read that as someone thinks they have a org card, has problems with it- and swears off buying Geo products and goes with another vendor.)

In those cases in which someone is thinking of going with a fake to save money, if that person had in advance a listing of info on the problems upon weighing the pro's and cons go they might go with a original the first time around- This again working in Geovision's favor.

EG Customer buys org first time, instead of buying fake, then not having money to buy org.. The net result if they do go with a fake the to begin with Geovision losing sales on the replacement item due to the customer having to go to a (cheaper) secondary vendor.

(Read that as money doesn't' grow on tree's, If I spend $400 on a card that turns out to be a fake- I'm not going to have $800 to buy the Geovision unit the second go around.)