Rebco

Save Windows XP Petition

Does microsoft ever sell a product without planned obsolescence?

They all have life spans, microsofts long term strategy is simply to make more money.

Does the following mean it will still be available for 2 more years to all system builders?

3 As of April 2008, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows XP Home Edition for OEMs to install on Ultra Low-Cost PCs. The new OEM end date will be the later of either June 30, 2010, or one year after the general availability of the next version of Windows.

Instead of a web petition start helping the zoneminder or other open source linux projects.

Our DVRs have no need even for XP level of bloat.

Maybe Avermedia will bring back thier linux offering.

Exacq has cygwin.dll in it's directory.

As good as that sounds, who's gonna fix the Linux boxes? Even something as simple as adding hard drives? Replacing faulty components with with a different model? Installing utilities? I'm game for Linux but only if it's a DOM and I as a technician don't have to deal with the OS. I've tried Linux before, but it's a PITA and not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I dealt with one vendor who offered a Linux solution and they couldn't even provide support for their own products.