thewireguys

IR dome cameras tell me what you think

I have a customer that wants IR day/night dome cameras. Its a small system, 2 outdoor cameras and a DVR. These people think there neighbor is stealing the fish from there pond and they are hell bent on catching them. They want the system done right i'm trying to find good cameras and a DVR to use. I live in the IP camera side of things but it's just not a option at this place otherwise I would put in one Arecont 3130M and a server and be done with it.

One camera is going to be installed under the deck in the corner so it's not to obvious and it will be about 20 ft from the pond. The other camera will be mounted one the side of the deck facing the gate about 10 ft away.

For the cameras I was thinking Vivotek 6111 domes but the way the wires come out if the housing just will not work. There is no place to put the wires because the way the cameras will be mounted. So my next choice was Extreme CCTV EX40 but I have never used one so i am hoping someone could tell me what they think of them.

For the DVR I was thinking Avermedia 1704Hybrid. I know this will record IP cameras so if they ever add cameras I have options and I want to try this out for smaller low budget systems. The DVR will go in there audio rack so it cant have 1000000rpm fans. The 1704 says "fanless design" is it quite? Is this DVR easy to use? or are they going to call me everytime they want to search for video?

2 Extreme CCTV EX40Ns

1 Avemedia 1704H or the dvd version

Then me what you think

I wouldnt touch an IR Dome with a 10 foot pole .. had too many issues with various ones in the past, and also seen the horror stories on here, and thats from the OEM AND the Expensive brands .. anyway .. if you have time you could try it out and let us know how they go

The EX40 is ok if you get the rubber boot hard up on the dome, its the only

camera thats worthy that i have used. 99% of installers dont follow the instructions and stuff up the settings.

[i have analyzed this camera in great detail for a client]

but as Rory says the rest are rubbish

better options> the arecont with a 16 or 25mm IR lens and quality IR flood would be sweet [extreme/cantronic/rainbow]

z

I understand what your saying. I have a Vivotek 6111 at my front door and it works well but it's not great. At night there is no reflection of IR off the dome.

The Vivotek IP streamer is not that good in that camera. I hooked up my Axis 247s to the analog output and the image got much better. Anyway back on topic.

Like I said I would like to use Arecont but a 2 camera setup with a server is going to run around $5000.00 installed. The system I spec'd could be done for around $3500.00.

The big problem with this 3 story house is everything is drywalled and the computer/cable modem is on the 3rd floor. So I am going to get very creative on the fishing. I am hoping to drill from under the deck into the ceiling in the basement and fish into the only unfinished part of the house. This one is going to be fun.

Arecont has a outdoor dome housing but it's not avalible yet. Does anyone else make a outdoor dome housing for Arecont cameras?

The EX40 should do the trick, just install it correctly and you will be fine. Anytime you can remove the IR from the camera your better off which your already aware of.

This sounds like its a temporary installation with 1 goal in mind. The EX40 will do the trick just fine!

the ex 40 is a good camera, however, you may need more than the provided ir at 20 ft for a identification quality picture.

the ex 40 is a good camera, however, you may need more than the provided ir at 20 ft for a identification quality picture.

Yep, dont expect too much IR from it .. I think you had one right?

Anyway, personally I would buy a decent Day Night dome then install separate IR.

Yep, dont expect too much IR from it .. I think you had one right?

Anyway, personally I would buy a decent Day Night dome then install separate IR.

OK give me some model numbers for good Day/Night vandal domes and IR spots.

I like the extreme products, personally. They are expensive, but very good products.

I believe the ex 46 is the same camera as the ex40 but without the IR

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?product_id=7

I used these illuminators and they work great.

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?product_id=13

I switched one for the ex82 and with it's 2 cameras it is amazingly better picture, but not covert.

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?product_id=212

I recommend this extreme chart as a reference.

http://www.extremecctv.com/pdf/brochure/ExtremeCCTV-product-guide-07-08.pdf

Hope it helps,

Gesualdo