magicsid

What MFR Hard Drive do you have Installed?

From what ive been told and read the SEAGATE SV35 is the best hard drive to install into DVR's,

What other drives are you all using.. what else do you recommend, Make and model numbers please

When it comes to hard drives, then I would say what kind of DVR, or what brand of DVR?

I use a lot of the AVTechs because the majority of my customers earn in the range of $10,000 to $20,000 a year.

Based on my customers I am selling entry level DVRs. I use what ever the distributor provides when I order the DVR with the hard drive installed as there may be a day down the road when the hard drive fails, and for some unforseen reason it may destroy the DVR. Since the distributor provided the hard drive, and sold the DVR as a system then it is their warranty that will fix the situation.

If I have a really budget clientele then I can save some money by buying the DVR without the hard drive, and then I can install my own Western Digital Caviar Hard Drive.

I am not saying it is thee best hard drive. I am saying that I have a local source 5 minutes from my shop that gives me a really good price as they buy in large bulks. If the WD fails, and should it injure the DVR, then what would I do? Would the hard drive "crash" void my DVR warranty??

HHMMM?? Food for thought!

ICrealtime DVRs: Here again! I go with what they install at the time I order the DVR.

There are some distributors where I can dictate what kind of hard drive I wish from the selection that they provide, and that would dictate the environment the DVR is going in to, or the budget of the DVR that the customer is willing to pay.

What do you think?

I Have installed WD before and had no problems, I was wondering if it really makes that much of a difference usuing a wider range of drive in your DVR, i agree it would make sence to get the DVR supplied with HD pre-installed but as you say you can save money by fitting the drive your self.. I am planning on also using AVTECH DVR's as an entry level Home system for people on a budget who cant afford the sky high prices of the much larger firms. Affordable home CCTV! Am i right in saying most DVR's use IDE drives?

Cheapest ones available .. neither will withstand certain environmental and electric issues that might occur .. and need ones that we can get our hands on as quick and cheaply as possible - basically the standard Western Digital 7200rpm drives (160-500GB - 8 / 16MB Caches)

I Have installed WD before and had no problems, I was wondering if it really makes that much of a difference usuing a wider range of drive in your DVR, i agree it would make sence to get the DVR supplied with HD pre-installed but as you say you can save money by fitting the drive your self.. I am planning on also using AVTECH DVR's as an entry level Home system for people on a budget who cant afford the sky high prices of the much larger firms. Affordable home CCTV! Am i right in saying most DVR's use IDE drives?

Most if not all current PC DVRs will and should use SATA drives.

StandAlones, at least the ones I have seen, use IDE.

The resellers would simply fit the drive with the same type you can pickup from the local PC Store - in most cases.

Just use something you can get your hands on quickly should the existing one go bad, price diff is not that much.

I use Seagate SV35s, like em, not too much $ either.

Same thing we use here.

Also for our pc based I just picked up a few of the Tera drives from Seagate.

Just a fan of theres as of the past 2 years and the fact that I can setup a return and send them off without any hassle makes it a plus.

Thanks,

John

From what ive been told and read the SEAGATE SV35 is the best hard drive to install into DVR's,

What other drives are you all using.. what else do you recommend, Make and model numbers please

Seagate surveillance grade drives are what we use...

Here are part numbers:

500GB SATA - ST3500630SV

750GB SATA - ST3750640SV

I do not have the part number for 1TB SATA drive at the moment...

They are fairly well prices and come with 5 years warranty...

My understanding is that it's best to use drives like the Seagate SV series as it's designed to be written to constantly and/or from multiple cams at the same time. I'm curious though what the drawback is if you use a regular PC hard drive, or one that's not necessarily recommended for a DVR. My guess is that the drive would work, but if you were recording from several cams at once there might be a problem. Anyone have any feedback on this and/or how important it is to use DVR-recommended drives?

My understanding is that it's best to use drives like the Seagate SV series as it's designed to be written to constantly and/or from multiple cams at the same time. I'm curious though what the drawback is if you use a regular PC hard drive, or one that's not necessarily recommended for a DVR. My guess is that the drive would work, but if you were recording from several cams at once there might be a problem. Anyone have any feedback on this and/or how important it is to use DVR-recommended drives?

the regular PC ones have been used for years without any problems.

From experience, we had seen too many commercial grade drives fail regardless of the manufacturer. I know that Maxtor took the top award of having the worst drives made in the market due to design and manufacturing flaw, but WD and Seagate were not too far behind...

Commercial grade drives are designed to operate 12 hours per day and that stand true with every manufacturer. Once you start pushing these drives 24/7, the obvious problems start coming forward, mostly causing the drive to fail way before its warranty period. The main cause of such failures were "heat" build up and not enough air flow... and then of course, design problems and even worse, manufacturing issues.

There was another grade of drives we used before that were for "server" markets, but with introduction with Surveillance Grade drives from both Seagate and WD, it took off like brash fire...

I have a preference of Seagate drives vs. WD drives fro few reasons - warranty being the first - Seagate offer 5 years warranty vs. WD who offers 3 years warranty. Second, turn around for the defective drives is more efficient with Seagate than WD. Third, after using technical support for both companies, Seagate did come through with better results, not much, but still better.

On the other hand if the warranty is not as important, then I will recommend WD, as the pricing is lower vs. Seagate.

PATA drives are coming out of the market and being replaced by SATA. I have seen pricing for the same size PATA drives higher than SATA, which is in line what both manufacturers are saying - PATA drives are in their last stretch of existence...

What is coming into the market as well called SAS drives - Serial SCSI drives. At the moment the maximum size for these drive is 300GB and extremely expensive - 15K RPM and much faster read/right than even standard SCSI drives (sometime referred to as parallel SCSI drives)...

I have a WD Caviar 320GB model WD3200AAJB in my AVTech AVC760. It stays very cool and is quiet. Happy with it!

I'm using WD also.

so far still no problem, hopefully they last at least until the waranty date