dj in pa

dvr with zoom review

I have a customer of mine who is looking to have a dvr that will give him the ability to clearly zoom in on items that have been recorded. I am looking for something in the mid range price for him. Any one have any thoughts on the dvr/cam selection combo for him...he has all cams mounted outside currently.

If they want like they see on CSI on television, where they can pick some footage and zoom right in to see clearly, then its not going to happen with normal cctv cameras.

All the zoom does, is make the pixels bigger, if the detail is not there, its not there.

With analogue cctv you really need the zooming to happen when you are recording, ie zoom the lens in to get the detail recoded, trying to do it after the event wont bring much luck usually.

Megapixel cams would allow more zooming in without the pixelation, as there is more details to start with...

Zoom may help a little, lots of DVRS, some multiplexers etc do allow it, but remember, garbage in, results in zoomed up garbage out

I agree on this one, all the dvr's that I have had the priviledge to examine have the ability to zoom, but it does not fill in the detail. With very good camera's then yes you could get the detail.

I have a customer of mine who is looking to have a dvr that will give him the ability to clearly zoom in on items that have been recorded. I am looking for something in the mid range price for him. Any one have any thoughts on the dvr/cam selection combo for him...he has all cams mounted outside currently.

Check out grandeyes.

Baically recording at high resolution, so you actually captured the details when you record. 360 degree, and display part of the recorded images at a time so you get to "pan" ard the video while playing back.

But if i am not wrong, it's abt $2k per cam, plus $2k for the recorder (each cam need 1 recorder) in order for you to do that.