Traken

AVC760 Network drops

Well it seems im stuck, im pretty new to the cctv surveillance but I have a couple of customers that want something cheap so I thought I would try one out and see if I can grsp it. Well I jumped into an avc760, got 2 cameras and 150' cables, my picture isnt exactly great but from what i've seen that can be cable length. Got the harddrive installed, the network up and ftp'ing off site. Got the beeping to stop, all seems fine.

But now twice, one day apart my avc760 will not let me log in, the nic light is on and flashing rapidly nonstop so it seems its trying to talk to something but im not sure what as my network is quiet. It sits behind a Fedora box forwarded through a very odd port number and again it works just fine most of the time. When this happens all I can do is power down the AVC760 and restart it. That wont be a good option for my customers so if anyone has seen this please advise, or I will eat this I suppose and buy up...

Great site, thank you all for your posts.

I truely do not know what is happening!

I do not have any experience with a Fedora Box.

I have seen this problem that you are having, and it has been resoved by replacing the router.

I do not know if this will work in your case though.

Thanks for taking the time scorpion to reply, I should note, that when it drops I can still ping the ip, however even switching to a x-over cable and a laptop, (removing it from the network alltogther) I still cannot connect. Im just not clear what it takes to lock these up yet so I dont know how to stop it. Do you see this with the other Avtech boxes or just the AVC760? Im thinking it must be the network chip used, hehe, I would change it if I could... :>

Oh well thanks again,

Gary...

I am not there to take a look, so I truely cannot say.

It sounds like you have an individual machine problem. Is it under warranty? Can you take it back?

if you were unable to connect. did you try clicking the search button on the video server? it will show you the connected device on your network. it is located beside the address box. also can you connect to the dvr from the internet?

I should note, that when it drops I can still ping the ip, however even switching to a x-over cable and a laptop, (removing it from the network alltogther I still cannot connect.

I am really surprised that you cannot log in with the cross over cable!!

Is this intermittent? Have you tried freeze spray / heat gun?

This may void your warranty!!!

Great ideas folks. This is my first dvr attempt so I went cheap to test, I have no monitor (vga adpt) for the 760, I guess I should dump another $50 to see whats up. Intermitent, yes but growing more frequent, its refussing my connections again right now, but im not at home so im unable to try cooling the chip, I havent seen many nics overheat (or any) but who knows, i'll sure look into that when I get home. Its alive I can ping it from the unix box but it wont even look at a login, it just seems locked.

Thanks again guys,

Gary...

Ahh, AV TECH CORPORATION has replied to an e-mail, im not sure where its going yet but its nice to see they seem to value customers. They just asked where im from so my guess is they may try to hook me up with a local dealer, we shall see.

I have this same problem with my CPCam 517HC (I think it's the model #). I have to reboot it to get network back. If you hear of a solution then I'd love to hear it.

The people I bought it from are telling me to use dhcp instead of manually putting the network info in. I will give it a shot, allthough that makes no sense what so ever to me as computers and networking are actually a huge part of my day job, but i'll try it and let you know.

The people I bought it from are telling me to use dhcp instead of manually putting the network info in. I will give it a shot, allthough that makes no sense what so ever to me as computers and networking are actually a huge part of my day job, but i'll try it and let you know.

Does your DHCP sevrer allow you to reserve addresses by MAC? That way you can use DHCP and still keep a 'static' address.

Yeah I can set the server that way, its the only way I would do dhcp on one of my boxes anyway, gotta at least try to keep the funny guys out. I may not get to it till Sunday but I will certainly update you on the results.

It seems for some reason this machine does not like Linux as the gateway to the internet, I dont understand that. But useing my Linksys router as the main dvr network connection and snat-ing ports to the dvr's ip through the Linux machine, dhcp or static it works just fine, however, dhcp and static both failed all my attempts after a couple hours just with out the linksys. All I can figure is it must somehow get flooded, I honestly have no ideas. And note, the Manufacturer never did get back to me. Sorry this took so long I just had to be sure before I reported either way.

Gary.

Hi, I have the same problem with a 715 DVR from Avtech.

The recording and motion detection carries on working but the network side just stops responding, It looks like a TCP stack problem with the recorders software, only a power off/on will cure it.

What AVTECH email address have you managed to get a reply on. I have sent numerous requests to the email addresses on thie AvtechTW website but dont get any replies. The distributor I bought from cant offer tech support, just to replace the unit, and I know that this will not cure it.

Thanks, Bill

Well the mfg replied once, asking where I was from, I gave them my info and after a couple more attmepts have never heard back. It seems the US is not high on thier priority list. However after going through all the requested steps from the person I purchased my unit from I was issued an RMA and have sent it in. Im hoping for a new dvr but we shall see, im not certain this reseller has seen our problem and really believes its the machine. My thoughts were if I got stuck with it to try and change the nic chip on the board if I could as if it were a machine software issue I would think it would be much more prominent. Im hoping I dont get to find out, I do however wish you luck.

Gary.

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply, I am in the UK and same as you the supplier offered to exchange for a new one, but I am certain this wont fix it, I am a network software engineer and think that it is a software design problem or bug.

I want to check for a later version of the firmware but cant find any info about versions or where I can download later versions.

This and a few other niggles with the software are infuriating me, I am thinking of starting an "Avtech sucks" website if I cant get any response from them.

Too late!

Everyone allready knows that AVTech Sucks!

My website gets 1600 hit a month from Google alone searching for AVTech info! Yikes!

Hi Scorpion, now you tell me that Avtech sucks , pity I didnt know about your site before I bought the DVR.

Although UK based i am currently in your neck of the woods on vacation in Naples FL.

If you would be kind enough to let me know how to contact you privately, I have some web pages that I designed to display the DVR FTP upload alarm pictures, and would possibly be interested in making them publically available via your site when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks time.

regards, Bill

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and to videosurveillance and I'm having a kind of a weird problem with an AVC760....here what's happened:

I installed an AVC760 with 4 cameras in a place with NO network. Not having the chance to install a main monitor to use the system, I decided to use only a LAN connection in between my AVC and my laptop.

First thing I set the IP of my PC to 192.168.1.1 without defining ANY default gateway and I used a straight cable to connect it to the AVC. I tried to connect using "admin" as password and....it worked perfectly!

After two days of regular work the system simply crashed. No way to have my PC connect to the AVC.

When I connect my straight cable the LAN results OK, but if I try to search with the search function of Videoserver, no devices are seen on the "network". If I try to ping to 192.168.1.10 the connection is refused. I tried to change ALL the settings following what I've found on the forum and nothing changed, if I use a cross cable there's no signal of having the PC and the AVC connected.....

....Do you have any idea?

Thank you in advance

Matteo

People, the AVC units are very badly designed. Install a fan into the unit, or an additional one exactly over the processor. That should help.

And the stream generated by AVC software is so huge, so non-optimised that it can overload a 100mpbs switched network.

use only a LAN connection in between my AVC and my laptop.

First thing I set the IP of my PC to 192.168.1.1 without defining ANY default gateway and I used a straight cable to connect it to the AVC. I

Matteo

Matteo, you should learn more on networking.

Remove the DVR, connect in to A/V of your tv set so you can access the DVR menu.

Make your PC 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0

Make your dvr 192.168.1.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0

Use a cross-over (commercially available are usually marked by X).

That should help