minko

Panasonic WV-NS202A Outside Mounting Arrangement

I posted this a few minutes ago - I didn't realize that a new user I wasn't allowed to insert a website link Sorry if this shows up twice.

I want to install a Panasonic WV-NS202A IP Camera under the eave of house. The eave is on the Southeast corner of my house and will be exposed to east morning and west afternoon sun.

I want to use the WV-Q152C Clear ceiling mount with the WV-Q153 Inner Dome Cover to minimize the obvious effects of the gray camera spinning around.

I am worried about heat and humidty. The literature for this mount doesn't specifically state that it is for interior use only nor does it state that is good for exterior use.

Does anyone have experience with mounting this camera outside? Any advice would be appreciated.

It will not be a easy install but it will be very clean and discreet.

I don't think the housing you posted about is to be used outside.

Thanks for that link thewireguys.

From it, I found several possible dealers, but most are "Big Business" type places. I'm waiting for one in particular to quote, but haven't received a response yet.

Can I ask you what ballpark price you think this housing should sell for? One option includes heating and cooling. The other option includes heating, cooling, and 12 VDC (for the camera).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm in Tampa FL - Cooling and dehumidification is a must. Heating??? I don't know.

I have installed some of these cameras and you will need the video-alarm housing which will give you a blower etc and is setup for outdoor mounting.

I cannot rememeber the exact price but I think the mount and housing are around 500.00

jeromephone said - "I have installed some of these cameras and you will need the video-alarm housing which will give you a blower etc and is setup for outdoor mounting.

I cannot rememeber the exact price but I think the mount and housing are around 500.00"

Thanks for that jeromephone.

None of the authorized vendors listed on Videolarm's website replied to my request so I contacted Videolarm's Sales Department directly. Their Sales rep directed me to a vendor right in my own neighborhood (Accu-Tech). I bought from them and just received it this past Thursday - The price was $475.00 + Tax.

The device appears to be very well made and probably oversized for the camera that I want to install in it. I've done a dry fit with the NS-WV202A and added 3" of the provided spacers to place the camera in the correct location within the dome. Therefore, the housing is about 3" longer than necessary for this camera and any other camera of this size. Videolarm should manufacture a shorter version (and therefore lighter version) of this dome housing.

I've had no time to begin installing the housing under the eave yet, but at first look, I think the housing may be too tall to slide all the way into the soffitt before hitting the inside of the roof. I've been laying out (in my head) some wooden & foam spacer sandwiching arrangement that would extend the housing approximately 3" - 4" down from the soffitt.

The general concept is:

1. Soffitt - ??" Hole for Housing

2. Plywood - 3/4" Thick - __" Square - __" Dia Hole For Housing

3. Rigid Foam - __" Thick - __" Square - __" Dia Hole For Housing

4. Plywood - 3/4" Thick - __" Square - __" Dia Hole For Housing - Beveled

5. Camera Housing Flange - Inserted Thru Holes Into Soffitt

Would seal the sandwich components for watertightness and paint the sandwich to match the soffitt.

Any advice on materials and techniques used to lower the housing would be appreciated.

I'm getting close to being able to install this camera and the Videolarm Housing. From Panasonic's Installation Manual, the following paragraph is lifted:

"• Monitor out connector

Connect a monaural mini plug (ø3.5 mm) (only for

checking if images are displayed on the monitor).

The monitor out connector is provided only for checking

the adjustment the angular field of view on the video

monitor when installing the camera or when servicing."

I'd like to be able to run the composite signal to my DVR on a full-time basis if possible.

Does anyone know if there is a legitimate reason why this can't be done? Does connecting the Monitor Out and an IP Cable cause some sort of impedence mismatch? Other reasons?

I'm getting close to being able to install this camera and the Videolarm Housing. From Panasonic's Installation Manual, the following paragraph is lifted:

"• Monitor out connector

Connect a monaural mini plug (ø3.5 mm) (only for

checking if images are displayed on the monitor).

The monitor out connector is provided only for checking

the adjustment the angular field of view on the video

monitor when installing the camera or when servicing."

I'd like to be able to run the composite signal to my DVR on a full-time basis if possible.

Does anyone know if there is a legitimate reason why this can't be done? Does connecting the Monitor Out and an IP Cable cause some sort of impedence mismatch? Other reasons?

If anyone has done this or knows of a reason why (or why not) run the video signal out of this IP Camera, I'd like to hear your opinions.

A little update:

I have installed the housing from Videolarm:

It was a b-i-t-c-h! It was too tall to fit within the volumn between my soffitt and roof. I added 1.5" of spacer below my soffitt to facilitate the housing's height. I was able to span two horizontal members (don't know the name of horizontal beams outside the house), Doesn't look very noticible.

I have many items to discuss later, but so far, so good.

It has been very wet here since the install and haven't had any humidy issues. The rain has kept the temperature down. Haven't had an extremely hot and humid day since the install. Will post more later.

Night Time Operation: Have the camera set to "Auto Sensitivity Up x 10". With little ambient light I am very please with Day & Night performance.

I'll try next week to document the installation and performance issues that I have experienced. So far, I'm very pleased with the performance of this installation.