thewireguys

Axis vs Vivotek (with images)

For those of you wanting to see how Vivotek stacks up against Axis here you go.

I have a Vivotek 6111 with a analog output which I hooked up to a Axis 247s video server. I'll let the images speak for them selfs.

Vivotek 6111

vivotek6111eu8.th.jpg

Axis 247 hooked up to the Vivotek Analog output

79123_1.jpg

Axis hands down has a better image. Looks like there is a good camera in the Vivotek but the video server sucks.

Edited by Guest

I agree with you that the Axis image quality is superior. However, it seems modestly but not dramatically better.

In my experience, customers are generally more motivated by differences in price rather than modest differences in image quality.

Is your experience different? How much of an impact does this level of image quality variance have in determining what is deployed?

Best,

John

I agree with you that the Axis image quality is superior. However, it seems modestly but not dramatically better.

In my experience, customers are generally more motivated by differences in price rather than modest differences in image quality.

Is your experience different? How much of an impact does this level of image quality variance have in determining what is deployed?

Best,

John

For me image quality is number one. There is no point to spend the money on a video surveillance system if you can't identify the person or object with the system. I find it easy to make this point when I show them images from a good camera next to cheap camera. After they see the images they have a realistic idea of what they can get with there money. And at that point if they don't want to spend the money then they are not a customer for me.

I would agree with the comment above. You pay twice the price for axis compared to Vivotek.

Thanks

Alex

Vivotek

optimasecurityonline

"There is no point to spend the money on a video surveillance system if you can't identify the person or object with the system."

I agree with this statement. There are absolutely scenarios where regardless of how much cheaper an alternative is, if it does not meet the goals, you are better off doing nothing than buying something that saves you some money but does not solve the problem.

When I look at these images, I can hear the customer saying "Yeah Axis is better but I can make out the intruder with either of these cameras. Maybe the image will be a little sharper with the Axis but for my needs I can identify the person or object with either so I'd prefer to save the extra money.

Do you think this would happen? How would you respond?

People typically buy what they can afford, or want to spend.

if they can only allocate $100 a camera for a surveillance system, due to other bills or whatnot, then thats all they can do.

Quite honestly though one can easily identify a person or object in most cases even with a $50 bullet, especially with a view such as the examples above; not at any great distance though (other light glare issues also apply), but basic identification, yes in most cases. So it really depends on the application and budget, lighting, etc - day time is always easy .. nighttime is the real test.

Worst case scenario .. low res BW Bullet camera .. night time .. shooting death occurred more than 75' away .. lots of light but still blurry due to cheap and dirty camera ... after 3 hours of enhancing and going through the video .. i was able to make out the model of the vehicle which the killers used. Granted it wouldnt stand up in any court and I had a major headache, but it was better than nothing Customer has plenty other CCTV cameras which produced Identification at other locations, and originally only wanted a cheap camera for basic overview of that area ... now .. well he still hasnt upgraded yet .. other things must be more important to him .. eg. cashiers tiefing.

PS> maybe one is just focused better than the other? Different lenses maybe? Perhaps just different compression, as the file sizes are different.

PSS> Thanks goes to thewireguys for posting all these samples they have been doing for the past several weeks.

Thanks goes to thewireguys for posting all these samples they have been doing for the past several weeks.

I agree. Thanks Mike! Mike has some of the best comparative pictures I have seen on the site in a while.

PS> maybe one is just focused better than the other? Different lenses maybe? Perhaps just different compression, as the file sizes are different.

PSS> Thanks goes to thewireguys for posting all these samples they have been doing for the past several weeks.

Thanks guys!!

Rory those images are from the same Vivotek camera I just hooked up my Axis video server to the analog output. So the the lens and focus did not change.

Image settings on the Vivotek:

Size : double

Image quality: Excellent

Image settings on the Axis server:

Size : 704*480

Compression: 0

both are MJEG

The Vivotek looks out of focus and has alot of pink and red in the image, but the Axis looking though the same camera looks great.

I will post some night shots later.

Oh .. okay so its an IP Camera with a composite output .. and the Vivotek image is using the built in IP server .. while the composite goes through the Axis server?

If so thats messed up

thats good, now the really hard test,

night time IR with someone walking past "snooping" for a face ID [not stationary]

Most cams slow shutter speed blurs that without enough IR

z

thats good, now the really hard test,

night time IR with someone walking past "snooping" for a face ID [not stationary]

Most cams slow shutter speed blurs that without enough IR

z

Nah ... stick it in the back yard in the pitch dark .. lets see how far it can see

(provided its at least a 50x50 yard)

PS. is that both the Axis camera?

PS. is that both the Axis camera?

Rory same setup as before. The camera is a Vivotek 6111. The top image is from the built in Vivotek streamer and the bottom image is the Vivotek camera with the Axis video server hookup to the composite output.