JustinCase

12v power for multiple cameras

I'm new to the CCTV scene so please bare with me.

I'd like to get a 12v power supply that can power several cameras (3 to 6). I've only seen the ones that power a single camera.

Is there a multiple camera power supply produced?

If so where can I pick one up?

Thanks.

I'm new to the CCTV scene so please bare with me.

I'd like to get a 12v power supply that can power several cameras (3 to 6). I've only seen the ones that power a single camera.

Is there a multiple camera power supply produced?

If so where can I pick one up?

Thanks.

Be prepared before buying! First assure that the supply has fully regulated outputs. Check the total current output of the supply to assure that you will have enough to go around. Some I/R cameras are hungry and you need to have the current available per output that will handle the draw. I would think that a total of eight amps total output, and at least 1.5 amps available at each output would give you room for six cameras of varying draw. I would recommend that the outputs should be fused, not auto reset devices (PIDs). The fuse is faster to respond and is better short protection. Fuses also give you the option to tailor current output to each camera. And finally, plug the supply into a surge protected UPS.

Dc-9 power supplies like this?

[edit by mod-store link removed]

79475_1.gif

They are regulated but not a 1.5amp per, (only 1amp per) but are fused.

Thanks,

John

Dc-9 power supplies like this?

[edit by mod-store link removed]

They are regulated but not a 1.5amp per, (only 1amp per) but are fused.

Thanks,

John

They would not be able to handle a high-power IR camera. Some of them draw as much as 1.5A per camera. There are other manufacturers who make higher capacity 12VDC power supplies:

Altronix ALTV615DC616UL - 16 outputs, 6A total, 3.5A per output - http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=ALTV615DC616UL

Altronix ALTV615DC1016 - 16 outputs, 10A total, 3.5A per output - http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=ALTV615DC1016

Thanks for the information. My system is a small home system. I will never have more than 8 (analog) cameras. I currently have 4, 2 are 100mA and two are 350mA.

I am considering a one larger IR camera. With the DC-9 (1 amp) system couldn't I connect the camera to 2 outputs and get 2 amps if needed?

Thanks for the information. My system is a small home system. I will never have more than 8 (analog) cameras. I currently have 4, 2 are 100mA and two are 350mA.

I am considering a one larger IR camera. With the DC-9 (1 amp) system couldn't I connect the camera to 2 outputs and get 2 amps if needed?

It all depends on the design of the power supply output buss. First of all, don't parallel fuses. Tolerances in them will probably cause each to blow, even if you are drawing less than 2 amps. If there is a single regulator connected to multiple fuses, you could replace a 1 amp fuse with a 2 amp one, as long as your total peak load for all cameras doesn't exceed the maximum allowed by the supply (leaving at least 20% wiggle room).