coolie11

Sony ExView

Is there anything out there, to compare to or even be better than Sony's EX-View sensitivity-enhancement technology.

Dude how do you keep up with all this stuff?

Being in the field makes it very difficult to research and test.

Most of the suppliers in my area recomend the lower quality products mainly stuff that's on there shelves.

Suppliers dont often have hands on real world experience with the products they are selling, due to selling so many different ones, especially the low cost resellers (the ones that advertise at dealer cost to end users). Always have to do your own research before hand, and if possible test one of the cameras before ordering many .. been down that road before and got stuck a few times with rubbish that was said to be great.

As for that camera, no experience with it but it looks interesting, might get one to test.

Always remember though you get what you pay for, so basically it wont match for example the EX82 for an EX82 type app, no matter what amazing new features it might have.

Also never rely on Specs alone.

I know.

But sometimes it's realy frustrating to have guy's on the job, complete the install, everything looks great, only to find out you have to go back and do over because of some flaws in the image overnight.

Not to mention the various amount of equipment purchased just for testing sitting in my garage collecting dust.

I have yet to find a product that I will install for my own home and be trully satisfied.

Anyway I guest I'll have to keep buying and testing untill we get where we will like to be.

Did you see this thread yet?

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12063

I spent so much time on it for little to no money .. like 1 month not to mention another month it took to order and wait for the parts to get here!! It was a small 4 camera job with bad lighting .. really bad lighting. .. turned out worst lighting conditions than expected once on the job.

Yep, read all these posts before posting my self.

I'm currently using the Telpix 50E49AVF for my home which isn't too bad on the quality at arround 10-15 feet with some artificial lighting, but anything below 10 feet is a total washout.

I just recently did a 8 cam plus DVR job at a high end dog kennel in an upscale area of Pasadena, CA. Took almost a week, 2-3 stories, crawling over snarling dog kennels etc. Wierd 50's construction , owner who couldn't make up mind etc. Installed decent factory Sony chip cams (not Ex-view) good resolution, not PERFECT at night mind you, (but she didn't want to pay for that perfect night vision). DVR on-line etc job under 2K. Changes her mind before final payment. Now I'm stuck, have to pay my installers for a *** of a job etc. Have to go back and re-install Ex-View cams (4) to satisfy her Majesty for no more funds. What a PIA !! I think I'm just going to go all Ex-view and bid them appropriately from now on. I hate going back to an installation for anything other than maintenance..

That's what I do now.

I quote customers on the best products I know, which cost more than an average install which results in me not getting the job.

But I have had a few who called on me a couple weeks after they had the install done by somone else for a great deal, which turned out to be what they realy didn't want.

That's when they PAY. They usualy ask if they can pay the difference from my quote to what they had already paid for what was installed. NO.

So now i just quote the best to my ability and that's that.

You win some you lose some.

I know, in my case you're probably saying lose most, but that's fine as long as I don't have to put out for someone elses comfort.

Most customers (small one's) want the best for nothing, so I provide three quotes with pics and details on the difference of the equipment.

They sign an acceptance and fax it to me or I just never hear from them until they get that great deal.

Got stuck with some what was supposed to be Color Vandal Domes today on a job, waited 2 weeks for them to get here .. spent a couple hours a camera setting them up as they were difficult to work with, terrible design .. one of them the entire lens was not even tightened .. and the small mini alan key holes would not tighten either. so that was left loose in the end, only after I had refocused it hundreds of times since it would keep going back out of focus!!

Another one, one of its boards was not even held together and so it did not work at all, it plugged into the other inner board using PINS and so I just fixed that and it worked .. but still !! They all had this stupid plastic ball thing that dropped down and clicked back up when you were done, to imitate the black plastic inserts most others use. Either way it is rubbish and ended up breaking off one of them. basically as the lenses holders also on all of them were loose no matter what I tightened .. everytime you knocked the camera when you were trying to fit the dome cover back over that stupid plastic ball the camera went back out of focus. As it is they dont focus the entire part of the image, and any focus .. crappy lenses probably. They also all had these 2 little plastic risers for the lens .. really bad design.

The worst part was the colors were off, someones black jeans were green ... then looking on the box in tiny words it mentioned DAY NIGHT Camera .. I was like hang on now .. I ordered a Color camera as this is indoors and definitely expected a fixed IR Cut .. anyways .. its a FAKE day night camera like all the other crap out there. so when the sun was coming through the windows at the end of the day all the IR from the sun had certain colors looking washed out or non existent. 2-3 hours of work per camera, and only to have an "okay" image .. not worth it. Resellers and Manufactures need to stop with the crap products already.

I like money ALOT, but I rather be broke than to install something with a crappy image again - when I say crappy, if its not perfect, to me its crappy. No more cutting people deals or installing what they can afford (other than for myself ofcourse!), its the really really expensive stuff or nothing!

I feel your pain man.

I'm sure well get through this.

This is the same problem I had with that install mentioned earlier, and the cam's I used is very highly rated not to mention the price, just as high as the ratings.

Well these last couple jobs I was just buying what I could get through others, as the shipping companies we use here they had issues with their CC and so I didnt want to bother importing and one of the jobs I did import but I wanted to test a couple other products ... not again though .. just not worth it IMO. Im supposed to be working on software now anyway ..

I mean I've seen ALOT worse .. dont get me wrong .. but Its just that nothing worked out the way it was supposed to .. trying to cut costs .. well I should have known better after all these years .. Do we ever really learn from lessons though ... its like eating food from one restaurant and getting ill .. or even just lousy service .. I always still seem to go back sometime in the future after eating elsewhere for so long .. just to "try" it in case it got better .. but only to have the same thing happen again .. LOL

I guess though in my case the main thing is all clients involved were/are happy .. little things like these really get to me though .. when I know how they are supposed to be I guess. Thing is, I can afford to spend weeks getting some really cheap cameras working great at my place, for me, but clients just cant pay enough for that.

Yes, I agree with all of you. No more trying to "be nice" on estimates or cutting a "deal" with a potential customer. The extra work, the return trips (@4.00 a gallon too) and the sometimes "Gee, I thought that picture would look like High Def" comments just get to be a bit much. And those darn "bargain brand" cameras usually turn out to be no bargains at all. LOL@Rory and those damn cheap domes, been there, done that, all while hanging off a 10 foot ladder !! From now on, my quotes will reflect true costs plus a fair profit..

Wow!

I read this thread, and I cannot tell you how many jobs popped in to my mind!

I have seemed to run the whole gamut of all of the above.

I give a best, better, pro kind of quote, and then I treat everything else as line item.

I know "about" how long a job should take, and then I will throw in some extra hours for free.

When the job runs over for some unexpected reason, then the customer does not have to pay more up to a point. If they start redoing the site survey all over again thats fine. When we go over that magic line the hourly rate kicks back in!!

I love the combo quote because it saves the customer money, and it forces a customer to make up their mind fast if they start making changes. If something really important comes up, then I will eat a little labor to get things worked out, as I am not going to force someone in to a situation where it will not work correctly, or it may ruin my reputation.

It is amazing when I have people come to the shop, and I show them my back room where the lights are turned off, and when I shut the door, and it is blacked out completely, and then I point to a monitor, and I hand them an upgrade camera for them to point around the room, and then they really "get it". I have upgraded from my cheap asian bullets to better cameras this way! (Yes I know! I sell cheap asian junk, please forgive me)!

(Yes I know! I sell cheap asian junk, please forgive me)!

LOL

on a side note, its the new eclipse domes that I was talking about .. I would stay clear of them like a rusty nail right now ..

All their new domes .. the ones with Panasonic CCDs. I used 3 different ones. But the worst one was the HDA. The design is terrible, parts not screwed together properly, etc etc the list goes on, imagine spending several hours just trying to get 1 single camera working properly .. not good at all, especially when the end result is less than good and the main reason being you cant get a focus throughout even 3/4 of the image .. i imagine backfocus issues as they have these little plastic rings between the lens and the lens holder .. the H dome was just as bad .. fixed lens and blurry on one edge all the time.

Going to check out CNB at least they use Sony CCDs, and actually they are less expensive.

Edited by Guest

Cosmetically they look nice .. and on the color only models the color is good .. but to work with and the final image, and the HDA has no IR cut filter plus we thought we were ordering a color only dome as thats what their site says it is .. Arghh. Maybe Im just spoilt with Sanyo and GE products and their great quality images and interior guts that dont fall apart and are not loose

on a side note their vandal bullet had a good image and came focused. Mounting and adjusting it though was another story. But the end result is a heavy duty bullet camera and even without an IR Cutfilter the colors are decent enough, however it cannot be adjusted as much as other bullets so it depends where you are mounting it.

On another related side note, all these cameras mentioned were setup in the field mounted .. in other words I did not have time to prefocus/test prior to installation in this case .. which did not help the issues but it is a real world example.

We have a couple more of the domes left over so i will see if they will let me bring it back here to test for a couple days and see if there is anything different I can do to them to get a better image.

Edited by Guest

They all look alike!!

The ECL 5H, ECL 5HA are the pano, but the others appear to have the Sony's.

The ECL 5I series appears to have the Sony's.

557 series appear to have a mix of no name, Sony's and YIKES!

The ECL 557H, and the 557HDA has the pano

Which one did you have?

I had the ECL-557H but it looks more like the 557A image on their site.

I had the ECL-5H and the ECL-5V (older model Sony CCD). The H was a better image than the V but had issues on the Geo DVRs that the V did not.

I had the ECL-557HDA .. doesnt say it is day night until you open the details page.

All the same basically .. all pano CCDs, just diff lenses and housings.