gfdcxgfd

How reliable are Baluns and Cat5e?

Hello folks once again. I have yet another question.

I just found out about Baluns and how to use them. Now my question is I see a Balun that can do Video and Power over CAT5e. How reliable would this be? I mean I do not want to run alot of CAT5e and then a few months or a year later the CAT5e cable dies.

Also I have a question about a Balun that can do Power, video and PTZ, Thru Balun. This the specs I was given.

* Combines video, PTZ control and remote power under one 4-pair Cat 5 cable for more efficient cabling

* Video up to 2,200 ft (670m) via Cat 5 UTP*

* Remote power up to 350ft (106m)@ 24VAC/5VA via two (2) twisted pairs

The VideoEase CCTV Pass-Thru Balun allows video, 2-wire PTZ control and remote power to be transmitted via one 4-pair Cat 5 cable, thus eliminating the need to install multiple cables for more efficient cabling in the CCTV security and surveillance environment. The Pass-Thru Balun may be used in pairs or in conjunction with standard twisted pair cross-connect devices and other MuxLab CCTV baluns such as the 500000, 500009, 500023 and 500015.

Do ya'll think using this Balun instead of RG59 and PTZ cable for a PTZ camera that is 12VDC with 2A current consume, around 350FT away ok to install and reliable?

*EDIT*

I also relized that the balun is for 24VAC, but lets say I find one that is for 12VDC would that work? Thanks.

Also note I have seen this thread but still would like to know more about the reliability and if it would work for my application.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11551

Regarding the power carried by the Cat5, there is nothing magic here, you still have to consider wire resistance. Google tells me it is 3.05 ohms per 100 ft per conductor. So 350'/100' x 2(directions) x 3.05/(2 cond each direction) = 10.7 ohms.

At 2 A that's a drop of 21.3 V, so you will have to start with 12 + 21.3 = 33.13 V to get an even 12 out the other end.

Note that the 24 VAC quoted is 5 VA, or 5/24 = .2 A

You really should provide local power or run a heavier gauge just for the power conductors.

Sorry for the late response guys I have night classes which take up alot of time.

I have had 0 problems and I do 100% Cat5 now.

Dang thats good to know. I was considering to switch to CAT5 for a few upcoming small jobs but was unsure if it would be good or not.

Regarding the power carried by the Cat5, there is nothing magic here, you still have to consider wire resistance. Google tells me it is 3.05 ohms per 100 ft per conductor. So 350'/100' x 2(directions) x 3.05/(2 cond each direction) = 10.7 ohms.

At 2 A that's a drop of 21.3 V, so you will have to start with 12 + 21.3 = 33.13 V to get an even 12 out the other end.

Note that the 24 VAC quoted is 5 VA, or 5/24 = .2 A

You really should provide local power or run a heavier gauge just for the power conductors.

Yeah I was thinking maybe just run CAT5e for video and do local power. Still debating though, I mean if it is just around 200 FT I might just go CAT5e for power and video. Anything more than maybe 250-300 FT and I know i will have problems.

Thanks for the help guys I look forward to trying out CAT5e soon for power and video.

Also last question, Say I want to use the Balun method of an outdoor camera, what kind of enclosure do you guy put the balun in? I mean is it just a weather proof box from lowes you get and do you seal it or is it some kinda special box?

WELL, i am using a cat5, and i am having a bad shadows on the picture, the 12vdc transformar is near each camera, but the cat5 distance is around 90meters, will the balun solve that problem? and where in China or Dubai can i get the balun?

WELL, i am using a cat5, and i am having a bad shadows on the picture, the 12vdc transformar is near each camera, but the cat5 distance is around 90meters, will the balun solve that problem? and where in China or Dubai can i get the balun?

Are you using the CAT-5 without baluns or active transmitters/receivers? That would cause ghosting. You have to use some device to change the 75 ohm unbalanced signal from the camera to 100 ohm balanced for the CAT-5 and back. Baluns and active devices do that.

I just found out about Baluns and how to use them

Sir, You know we do not talk public about them.

B*luns are a well kept secret,.. we like it that way.

I haven't had good luck with them, least not the regular passive baluns ive used.

I haven't had good luck with them, least not the regular passive baluns ive used.

I have Perfect runs @t home, even installed 2 systems at a office of a friend who liked my budget system.

Alle are almost Cat 6 only.

Great picture, baluns from eBay.

set of 10 for 42 usd shipped.

I have Perfect runs @t home, even installed 2 systems at a office of a friend who liked my budget system.

Alle are almost Cat 6 only.

Great picture, baluns from eBay.

set of 10 for 42 usd shipped.

The image quality hasn't been to my satisfaction in the past with the various passive baluns I used, but im sure they can differ from one to the next. If I were ever to use UTP Transmission again though I wouldn't use baluns, I would use Active Transmitters and Receivers. Otherwise, here RG59 is just as cheap as UTP cable, and easier to work with, as well as BNCs being readily available from anywhere anytime, or even just use an RCA or can even use it without a connector as in the case of my 2 cameras at my appt.

If you have spare wire pairs in your cable, you can use them for power as well. If using American wire gauge, this increases the effective AWG by 3 (that is, two 24-gauge pairs are equivalent to one 21-gauge pair). If using metric, it increases effective diameter by 40% (1.4x). Either way, it halves the resistance and the voltage drop, and doubles the current you can carry. Also, you should wire the +/- power on matched pairs just like the signal, especially if you are using AC.

gentelmen... what i have practicly noticed is : when i use the regular RJ-6 co axial cable i get a better picture than using the cat5 or the cat6, but the thickness of the cable is what making a big problem because you can't put a total of 12 caaxial cable in one pipe or trunk.