gfdcxgfd

10-15VDC Central Power Supply Question

Hi guys I haven't had much free time lately to be on here lately but anyways I got a question about a particular central power supply.

Specs:

Altronix 16 Fused Outputs CCTV Power Supply 6-15 VDC @ 10 Amps

Overview:

Model ALTV615DC1016 provides 6-15VDC distributed via sixteen (16) fuse protected outputs

6-15VDC power for CCTV cameras and other video accessories

* 6-15VDC Selectable output

* 10 amp supply current

* Sixteen (16) fuse protected outputs

* Output fuses are rated @ 3.5 amp

* 115VAC 50/60Hz, 1.9 amp input

* Filtered and electronically regulated outputs

* Short curcuit and thermal overload protection

* AC power LED indicator

* Illuminated Power Disconnect Curcuit Breaker with manual reset

* Unit maintains camera synchronization

So lets say for example I have a 12VDC @ ~450mA camera around 350-400 feet away and I get voltage drop of 2V so I would set the power supply from 12VDCto 14VDC correct? But what about the other cameras (12VDC @ 300-450mA) using the same power supply but different channel output that are around 40-150FT which have no voltage loss, would those still power up or not work at all? I'm kinda stummped on this issue so help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would try setting the supply at 12.5 Volts. Then measure the voltage at the end of the farthest drop. If it is within tolerance you are OK. If not, run larger gage wire to the farthest drop to comp for the voltage drop. I personally have a supply similar to what you have described, and I set the output to 12.5 VDC. I would also change the fuse for that output to 500 or 750MA. Then your camera would have a better chance of survival in case a problem arises.

Is it possible to put resistors on the closer cameras to give it more of a load?

Most likely a resistor would work for each remaining output but It would be easier to just beef up the wire gage for the one problem camera. There would be a spiderweb of resistor leads to contend with on an otherwise clean output terminal strip (unless the resistors were added @ the cameras). It would be very easy to have shorts unless all were heat shrinked.

Very sorry for the late response guys, first off thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out. But I solved the issue, it wasnt as long of a run as I thought plus i could just put a remote power adapter so all problems solved!