QED

IP - Analogue

I am interested to see peoples views on here about the IP/Analogue debate and how they see the future of the CCTV industry going.

Please could you give me your opinions?

First if one can find an Analogue camera, please post the link.

Second, we have a few long threads on this already in the IP forum

hmm I never heard reg CCTV camera with 1 volt peak to peak

on 75 oms load will be called "digital output"

it is analog output

u can and u do process signal digitally but output is and going to be analog

it is analog output

Whatever the output is, the camera itself is still digital.

So please post a link to an analogue camera if you will.

I am interested to see peoples views on here about the IP/Analogue debate and how they see the future of the CCTV industry going.

I can't actually post links because I'm apparently at risk of being a crazed spammer, so I'll weigh in on here.

Personally, I don't carry IP/wireless cameras because I don't think they're ethically sound. These cameras run in the ISM band of radio frequencies. Look at this band as being like a freeway - when you get too many cars driving through it, everything slows down to a crawl. The ISM band is slowed down to a crawl because so many 2.4ghz devices (like cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless routers, etc) transmit signals through it. As well, since the ISM band is so common, you don't have to look very hard for schematics (or devices) that will allow you to intercept/jam camera signals. So, ultimately, if you buy an IP/wireless camera you are paying significantly more money for worse quality and less security. Am I missing something here or is that a pretty bad deal?

However, since IP/wireless cameras have such a big market share, it makes sense for big companies and CCTV manufacturers to invest money in research. Therefore, expect better quality, better security and much cheaper prices in the future.....

I'm picturing this massive machine with a 24 hour reel of film that weighs three tons......

Wanna hear a joke though, my landlord was down here cleaning up their house last week, they asked if I wanted about 20 odd VCR tapes they had .. I was like WHAT?? Chief we dont use them anymore LOL

it is analog output

Rory would u agree that NTSC is analog system?

yes or no please

just to help u answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

No mention of wireless!

A professional would do a site survey with equipment such as this

Wi Spy

http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/wispy.html

This would tell him what wattage he would need, and what would be the most effective channel, and what kind of antenna to use such as omni directional, or beam antennas.

Analoge wireless is exactly what you described!!

These tend to be what customers want right off the bat for some reason why I do not know. I stocked them in the showroom, and they flew out of there at 100 miles per hour, until I had more competition with Radiation Shack, and Wally World.

I am penetrating 40 walls, and I want facial recognition, and I do not want the camera to be seen.

What do you mean that I have to change a 9 volt battery everyday?????

yes or no please

just to help u answer

That has nothing to do with it.

Point is, there are NO Analogue CCTV Cameras, unless you can find one for us? Where is the link to this Analogue CCTV camera?

You are confusing video transmission with the camera itself, which are 2 separate things.

yes or no please

just to help u answer

Analogue has become industry parlance for wired cameras. We all fall into the trap and use analogue instead of wired.

In camera parlance, analogue means that the camera actually records to film. You know 35mm cameras? That is an analogue camera - you have to put film in it and change it after 24 or 36 exposures. Basically, analogue cameras work because there are three emulsion layers on film. These layers react to one of the three primary colours - the chemical structure of the emulsion layer will change according to the colour of the light actually let in.....

Digital cameras uses imaging sensors to accomplish the same thing. An imaging sensor basically detects colour and translates it into digital information on a pixel by pixel basis.

yes or no please

just to help u answer

That has nothing to do with it.

Point is, there are NO Analogue CCTV Cameras, unless you can find one for us? Where is the link to this Analogue CCTV camera?

You are confusing video transmission with the camera itself, which are 2 separate things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Analog (or analogue) television encodes television picture and sound information and transmits it as an analog signal, that is to say: one in which the message conveyed by the broadcast signal is a function of deliberate variations in the amplitude and/or frequency of the signal. All systems preceding digital television, such as NTSC, PAL or SECAM are analog television systems"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Composite video is the format of an analog television

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video_signal

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/WVCW484.PDF

Specifications

Video output:VBS 1.0 V [P-P] NTSC composite 75 /BNC connector

----------------------------------------------------------------------

NTSC (National Television System Committee) is the analog television system used in the United States, Canada

--------------------------------------------------

yes or no please

just to help u answer

Analogue has become industry parlance for wired cameras. We all fall into the trap and use analogue instead of wired.

In camera parlance, analogue means that the camera actually records to film. You know 35mm cameras? That is an analogue camera - you have to put film in it and change it after 24 or 36 exposures. Basically, analogue cameras work because there are three emulsion layers on film. These layers react to one of the three primary colours - the chemical structure of the emulsion layer will change according to the colour of the light actually let in.....

Digital cameras uses imaging sensors to accomplish the same thing. An imaging sensor basically detects colour and translates it into digital information on a pixel by pixel basis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

plz look at video signal waveform and tell me where do u see "pixels" ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Analog (or analogue) television encodes television picture and sound information and transmits it as an analog signal, that is to say: one in which the message conveyed by the broadcast signal is a function of deliberate variations in the amplitude and/or frequency of the signal. All systems preceding digital television, such as NTSC, PAL or SECAM are analog television systems"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Composite video is the format of an analog television

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/WVCW484.PDF

Specifications

Video output:VBS 1.0 V [P-P] NTSC composite 75 /BNC connector

----------------------------------------------------------------------

NTSC (National Television System Committee) is the analog television system used in the United States, Canada

--------------------------------------------------

Once again, it is a Transmission, the camera is STILL DIGITAL.

quote]

Once again, it is a Transmission, the camera is STILL DIGITAL.

ok Rory I give up

We all selling digital video signal processing camera with Analog output

ok Rory I give up

We all selling digital video signal processing camera with Analog output

Yes, and Digital Recorder

Look, Im all for higher quality, and that in the form of MegaPixel cameras (I wont mess with any basic IP cameras), but all Manufacturers, CCTV and IP cameras, need to get up to speed. The products coming from CCTV camera manufacturers these days have degraded in manufacturing quality and performance, and the IP cameras have their own list of problems, not to mention hardly any manufacturer can provide proper demos of their products short of amazing marketing hype.

Im tired ... its all a game to most manufacturers these days, and it seems its the same with the NVR and DVR's also. The industry has gone down hill over the past few years, and there are people entering it for only one reason and thats money, with little to no appreciation of the actual purpose nor the time to learn it properly, just hope it gets better and not worse as it has been.

Im tired ... its all a game to most manufacturers these days, and it seems its the same with the NVR and DVR's also. The industry has gone down hill over the past few years, and there are people entering it for only one reason and thats money, with little to no appreciation of the actual purpose nor the time to learn it properly, just hope it gets better and not worse as it has been.

Do you think this is because of buyers or because of sellers?

On one hand, new factories are springing up everyday and they are all pumping out thousands upon thousands of cameras everyday. Mass production equals price wars equals shoddy manufacturing. These manufacturers pump out their products at obscenely low prices, which gets mass marketing CCTV salespeople worked up in a frenzy because of high profit margins.

But, you've worked in retail. How many people have you met who don't care if their system is actually safe, they just want it to be cheap? Consequently, eCommerce enabled sites pump out thousands of cameras to people who only care about the bottom line price. Look at eBay. You can't tell me that the $8 barrel cameras are actually good quality. Yet they sell...

GT_Cameras I agree with you 100%!!

Do you think this is because of buyers or because of sellers?

Both!! As buyers become more aware of the product then they will buy it. As buyers become more aware of price points then they will buy it.

As sellars try to make the investors happy, then they have to move the product as fast as they can, and keep the headroom down low, and cut out the money that should have been spent on tech support, and a help desk.

When the investors see another market that will give them the high return on investment that they look for, then they will get out of the CCTV market, and go elsewhere. Right now product went from 100s of unit sold per year to millions of units sold per year. Are we at the top of the apogee? What happens when the investors get out? Has enough research and development been accomplished to sustain the CCTV business?

Will the investors hang in there until the market becomes so oversaturated that it will cause a price crash, and high inventory levels??

I saw this with the CB market as a kid. Everyone was making CB, and everyone was selling them, and then boom!

I saw this again with the coin operated amusement machines. There was a Mrs Pac Man in every restaurant, coin laundry, and the 7-11s!

I owned 3 game rooms in the very early 80s, and I saw the writing on the wall! I closed my lowest earning place, and concentrated on my big one.

I got out of the game room business, and sold my route, and went into the icecream business. Just as the coin op crashed I was sitting pretty!

I sold the stand up games a couple of years ago, but I miss my Robotron among others!

Mass production equals price wars

I am for that! If it was not for technology (mass production) then we would not be able to afford to drive cars! Now everyone in the US has one!

Once everyone has a system it will become a commodity just like a washer, dryer, refridgerator, and a microwave.

Can you remember when only the "rich" had microwaves??

I remember my dad when he came home with this gadget in the early 70s. He was all proud of himself because he could afford one finally! It could add, it could subtact, and it could multiply, and better yet it could divide!! Price?? $70.00 in 1972. Guess how long the batteries lasted!! LOL!!

OK. There is still a calculator market, but then again you can go to Wally World, and you can buy one for $5.00. If you are an accountant they have $300.00 units that are commercial grade, and they have printers, and other features.

When will Sears sell DVRs next to plasma, and LCD TVs??

shoddy manufacturing

There is a sucker born every minute!

Once the consumer becomes more aware of these products then they will demand better quality! There will be a "Crazy Al's" CCTV world, and they will sell junk at cheap prices, and there will be one on every corner! Come on down to Crazy Al's CCTV World!! Come on down to CCTV King! They will be on the other side of the corner!! LOL!!

Then there will be a serious store that will advertise, promote, and they will become the defacto standard for quality DVRS. Their grandkids will still be rich long after all of us have died. DVRs will be called by that name, and they will loose the name of their business like Frisbee, and YO YO, and other names we all have become accustomed to.

obscenely low prices, which gets mass marketing CCTV salespeople worked up in a frenzy because of high profit margins.

There are no "high profit margins" when they are sold at low prices. Your profit comes from the margins. You will have to sell in volume to survive. Wally World will crush a few manufactures in the process, but everyone will have a CCTV DVR in every room!!

How many people have you met who don't care if their system is actually safe

This is why there are recalls on baby chairs, baby cribs ect.

Well, yes of course I care for my kid, but I did not know that the crib would trap his/her head, and choke them to death? I am not a bad parent!! I am just cheap!

$8 barrel cameras

I use these for license plate recognition!!

LOL!

Edited by Guest

$8 barrel cameras

I use these for license plate recognition!!

LOL!

There ya go bragg'n about your high end installs again!

Ha ha, thanks.

Got a bit more than i bargained for when i started this thread!!!

Thank you for your comments though very interesting.

Mixed bag which i am supprised at.