kensplace

UK Bus company sends bill to the police...

The old bill have received a 125 thousand pound bill from a bus company, for cctv footage...

More details http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7455498.stm

I would love to know how they can charge that much?

Did they just pull out the actual dvr's out of the buses and let the police walk away with them? Thats the only reason I could imagine for such a huge bill (but even then, they must have taken a lot of dvrs...)

Why not just pull of the data and burn to dvd or memory sticks, or pull the hard drives out and stick new ones in?(and lets face it, you could get a lot of hard drives for 125 thousand pounds...)

Has anyone had experience of anything similar, where police were involved, did they take a full system, or just the data, or just the drive?

The uk police either seem to ignore cctv evidence completely, or go overboard by the looks of things... Would love to know more about this case...

wow this guy must of came to law school here in the US they teach anyway you can get money no matter who you screw over in the first semester

We have had this a couple of times when police have come down to our control room to view footage. If its a high priority investigation they will ask for download footage and then sieze the Fastrace transmitter and lock it down to secure the evidence for court .Some forces will have different types to use in there labs but not all have FT units so they grab em,otherwise yeh just take the hardrive. We have 1 coming back this week that has been held for 3months but we had to cover replacement to keep the clients site monitored.

Who pays? well we do, but the one we get back will be out again on rental by Monday. We see it as doing our bit but if they took 30 of them well yeh thats a different story as that would give us problems.

Not only would we be covering the units but the removal + install cost, someones gotta be paid to do it.

What would it cost a municipality in wages if a city wide bus system provided video of muggings, rapes, murder, or if they wanted footage to prove that someone was in an area of a crime?

With as many crimes that can be committed in an area, then how much footage could be generated?

Do most bus systems down load the video by hand at each individual bus?

How many bus systems download video as soon as they pull in to the yard via wireless?

Hey could you imaging in detroit or camdem where the murders are extremely high and the detective wanted videos from the dvr all the time imagin trying to get paid from the police there. Just spoke to a friend about this and he told me that if it's a small crime they just get the video off the dvr if it's something bigg the want to keep the chain of command and they take the dvr. I would think the insurance company would be liable for that.?

Dont know what the justice system is like over the pond but over here they will do anything and everything to protect the offenders human rights.,with no real concern of victims rights, victims seem 2nd class for some reason.

Not going to say much else on the matter as it makes me mad.

So Im guessing they grab the DVR`s to keep the evidence trail as tight as possible as not to give the defence another reason for demanding the case is dropped.