si_kungs

weird experience CAT5E

we just finished a 3 day installation today. we used CAT5E as signal cable and the weird thing is only the pair of green and orange shows good picture quality. while the pair of blue and brown will give black and white picture and distorted video. what we did was to run a new CAT5E and just use the pair of green and orange. what do you think is the problem with these? can't the CAT5E handle the four video signal? or the cable i used was poor quality? does this have an issue with the computer color coding scheme (only pair of green and orange was used for computer also and not the blue and brown)

yes. we installed 16 cameras . so i just run four cat5E and just tap the camera along the way. we noticed that only the pair of green and orange only showed good picture quality while the remaining pair give poor quality and distorted picture. the length of the wire is around 100m to 120m.

i'm using passive balun from china. i didn't use any tool. i just connect the camera to a pair and check the video to check if it is good. what tool are you using? even at short run it seems that the pair of blue and brown has a problem. i don't know if this was caused by the cable. have you experienced this? have you tried using up all the 4 pairs?

i'm using passive balun from china. i didn't use any tool. i just connect the camera to a pair and check the video to check if it is good. what tool are you using? even at short run it seems that the pair of blue and brown has a problem. i don't know if this was caused by the cable. have you experienced this? have you tried using up all the 4 pairs?

blue, orange, green and brown have a all diverted twist.

I thinks thats the problem, why have you not used cat 6? same price and better quality:-)

You can see it clearly on my picture the deliverance between orange en blue:

?action=view&current=HPIM0334.jpg

Here a other picture, green and blue have the same longer twist:

?action=view&current=HPIM0320.jpg

Edited by Guest

Here a other picture, green and blue heve the same twist:

yes there is a twist. did you tried running 4 cams on a single cat5e?

Here a other picture, green and blue heve the same twist:

yes there is a twist. did you tried running 4 cams on a single cat5e?

No, i used 2 pairs for power (13 volt) and 2 pair for 2 camera's.

works fine, whit china baluns.

ok. just shared what i experienced till now i don't know what went wrong. strange

The runs are to long for 2 pairs of the 4 pair.

Can you not run a second cat5 cable? or upgrade it to a cat 6 cable, that will work maybe..

ok. just shared what i experienced till now i don't know what went wrong. strange

The runs are to long for 2 pairs of the 4 pair.

Can you not run a second cat5 cable? or upgrade it to a cat 6 cable, that will work maybe..

that's what i did. i run a second cat5 cable. the original plan was to run four cat5 cables and utilize all the wires then the distorted pictures came up. even if the run for the (blue or brown pair ) was short the picture was distorted. so after figuring out that only green and blue pair is good. we rerun another four wire. only green and orange pair were used the picture was good. at first we thought it was the balun because the run was short. then we tried to swap the good cameras and it was still the same. then we tried switching the wire and we got it.

since the the four pair inside the cat5e have same length. it should work for all the color since only the color of the insulator is not the same. but unfortunately it did not. strange isn't it?

Since I have converted over to only using Cat5 I have had no issues and have installed 4 cams on Cat5. Although I must admit I have never installed analog cams and baluns on Cat6.

Since I have converted over to only using Cat5 I have had no issues and have installed 4 cams on Cat5. Although I must admit I have never installed analog cams and baluns on Cat6.

ok. may be it was just because of poor quality cable

I think your problem is due to the poor quality of the CAT5E cable, please make sure the CAT5 cable you use are from reputable brand and genuine.

Good quality CAT5E cable should be okay

Benjamin

You also must be more careful with Cat5 vs Coax, bend radius, max pull all differ but Cat5s light weight and easier dispence IMO makes up for it.