highspeedphysics

Conduit Rigid EMT Installation questions

Conduit Rigid EMT Installation questions

has anyone installed rigid EMT 1.25" conduits and bent these with a hand bender? any techniques or fastening hardware ideas to secure these vertically up a 40 ft. building with wood siding?

I am asked to bid on a apartment building with 4 cameras on the roof. They want spectra IIIs or megapixels so I'm going to run a few cat5s with the siamese for each camera.

Any ideas?

If your using rigid,just do your pipe layout on paper and purchase your straights,90's,couplings and connectors and whatever weatherproof boxes you'll need. You'll need,a pipe threader,reamer,pipe vise,cutting oil,and rigid pipe straps..If you have any buddies that are electricians,you can pay them to do your pipe work.I use 1/4-20 lead anchors set into the concrete with 1/4-20 machine screw and fender washers.You may not need the fender washers though.All these items can be found at your local electrical supply,Lowes or HD.

Rigid and EMT are two different type of conduit, I've bent 1.25 EMT with a hand bender and it can be hard work, but rigid? I've not seen a hand bender for 1.25 rigid but if such an animal exists it would be a real struggle to bend 1.25

If you're really using rigid then you should either buy pre bent pieces or rent a bender, you'll also need to thread the pipe.

If you're using EMT then you should consider using raintight compression fittings, most compression fittings found in HD or Lowes are listed as "concrete tight " not raintight.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the info. I meant to say I plan to use thin-wall EMT conduit in the 1.25" and maybe 1.5" ?

Any ideas if 6 siamese would fit in that along with 2-3 cat5?

With 6 siamese and 2-3 cat5's your better off looking at atleast 2".You'll thank yourself when you start pulling.You can even use pulling lube to make your life so much easier.Remember to stager your connectors.Also pull an extra pull string to leave there incase you ever have to go back into the run for anything.

The only bender for Rigid conduit , is a Greenlee model Hydraulic/Electric bender ( or similiar ). Use one all the time. Take a look at Aluminum Rigid conduit also, if you can find a local electrical supplier. Easier to thread, and a lot lighter to work with. That Galvanized is way too hard for most people to work with. Now EMT is thin-wall, can buy it at your local Home Depot. When getting past the one inch size, it is very hard to bend, unless you are experienced. EMT with Raintight fittings, would meet most local codes, above ground. Make sure you have a small Torpedo Level, and a good size Raftor Square, in order to make sure your bends are "true".