si_kungs

LPG refilling station

good day, i have a client with a Liquid petroleum gas refilling station. what cameras do we need to install to be safe?

Here in the UK I had to take a two day course for my licence (SPA - Safety Pass Alliance - Passport) to install in Gas Stations.

Petrol filling Stations have 'Zones' defined by the hazard.

CCTV should not be fitted within 1.5m radius in all directions from the Pump Dispenser / Underground Refill Chamber / Vent pipes.

In the UK you fill up first then pay (!) so we get a lot of Drive-offs. That is why we install a lot of cameras in Gas Stations

Externally I install normal 12/24volt cameras in normal housings on the front Retail Shop looking at each bank of pumps. This is far enought away to cause any danger. Or you could install them on Poles depending on the layout of the site.

I also install a camera looking a the Entrance and one looking at the Exit.

Hope this helps !

This has some examples of Hazard Zones around Pumps.....

http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/new/fireSafety/petroleumExplosives/PetroleumGuideCompleteJuly2007.pdf

so ordinary camera can be used at least 1.5m radius from the pump.

Yes, an ordinary low voltage camera can be used, BUT I would check with any local regulations that are in place.

I would always install at least 15m away, you can always use a longer range lens to suit your field of view requirements.

As long as your cables are in conduit like EMT and you have your cameras in good enclosures with the wires fully enclosed, you can run cat-5 or Siamese without a problem. We mount them on the overhangs or the station building itself if possible.

Just match the correct lens with the right camera and you can stay away from immediate hazards.

so we should position the camera far and use high focal length lens. can we use ordinary camera and just use non explosion housing?

Before you do anything you should ensure you have read and understood all the local rules and regulations (if any) that would apply to the job.

If you dont, and something goes wrong, you would probably be responsible for the damages, as the insurance company would be within their rights I would imagine to not pay out due to a non compliant (to the regs) installation. If not worse, it could kill people.

This is a good time to bring up the obvious that all installers, or the company they work for, should have adequate liability insurance. Although the insurance company for he station would pay out for the damage to get it operational, they would certainly subrogate against your liability insurance and you personally if your coverage was inadequate. Again, violate local law and you could face criminal charges if there is a big problem.....