tazo

Low cost, Multi-port (4 min) PoE Hub?

I'm looking for an ethernet hub (wired or wireless) that has at least 4 ports that are PoE. I'm having trouble finding one that doesn't cost a few hundred dollars. The only one I've found is the TRENDnet TPE-S44, but it's discontinued.

The individual PoE power injectors are pretty cheap and I'm wondering if I'm better off simply powering each ethernet line separatly and forget the all-in-one hub/PoE device.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Guest

I'm looking for an ethernet hub (wired or wireless) that has at least 4 ports that are PoE. I'm having trouble finding one that doesn't cost a few hundred dollars. The only one I've found is the TRENDnet TPE-S44, but it is discontinued.

The individual PoE power injectors are pretty cheap and I'm wondering if I'm better off simply powering each ethernet line separatly and forget the all-in-one hub/PoE device.

Any thoughts?

$120

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=202798&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4&om_keycode=4

Not bad... I'll look into it.

Apparently the TRENDnet TPE-S44 hub I found is not discontinued, and is still available for $70.

Any pitfalls I should look for, like camera power consumption or voltage requirements?

Not bad... I'll look into it.

Apparently the TRENDnet TPE-S44 hub I found is not discontinued, and is still available for $70.

Any pitfalls I should look for, like camera power consumption or voltage requirements?

Clause 33 of IEEE 802.3-2005 (commonly referred to as IEEE 802.3af) is how Power over Ethernet is usually implemented. It provides a device selectable 36–57 V DC, though usually 48 V, over two of the four available pairs on a Cat. 3/Cat. 5e cable with a selectable current of 10–400 mA subject to a maximum load power of 15.40 W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

BTW with IP cameras the last thing you want is a hub, luckily ak357 linked you to a real switch. Hubs are cheaper (however they are kinda pre PoE) but pass all data from all ports, kinda like a splitter in a cable tv network. Switches are smart enough to recreate packets and trasmit them to the specific port required to connect to the destination.

This isn't a problem with a couple few VGA MPEG4 cameras but can add up with MPJEG and certainly megapixel.

You should also have a gigabit connection to the DVR.

I'd also be very worried about low end PoE equipment. It's a pretty new feature for networking gear and one that has the potential to damage equipment if it's implemented poorly on the hardware.

BTW with IP cameras the last thing you want is a hub, luckily ak357 linked you to a real switch.

Ahh... good point about the hub vs. switch issue.

Thomas, regarding low end PoE equipment, what do I look for in the specs. that would indicate what is low vs. high end?

BTW with IP cameras the last thing you want is a hub, luckily ak357 linked you to a real switch.

Ahh... good point about the hub vs. switch issue.

Thomas, regarding low end PoE equipment, what do I look for in the specs. that would indicate what is low vs. high end?

Brand is the fastest way. I generally perfer to work with the quality gear like Cisco's or Juniper's stuff. In the middle range 3com and D-Link have some solid gear. But all of that stuff is fairly pricey. Linksys on the low end has some okay PoE stuff. But a PoE switch for $70 would cause me to run in terror unless I knew the company name.

Specs are harder to compare. You need to start looking at OEM's and trying to figure out who makes what.

ensure your switch have some non POE ( normal ) port also!!

I saw some POE switches having all POE Ports.... in such case Connected non POE Laptops is not possible!!

Regards,

Kalpesh

ensure your switch have some non POE ( normal ) port also!!

I saw some POE switches having all POE Ports.... in such case Connected non POE Laptops is not possible!!

Regards,

Kalpesh

Pretty much all modern PoE gear uses a chip to determine if the other end is looking for PoE or not. Some older equipment doesn't have that but it should be fairly rare.