eric23

AVTECH 761ASV - Email and FTP issues

I think it's time to clarify some things. I speak of my model AVC760 but I think it is applicable to other models.

The new model is from generic family 760AS even if on their site is presented as 760 simple. I think after they introduced USB and SATA capability they chage the hardware and also changed the firmware.

In that case it is very possible that some older functions are not be included in this new firmware. The worst thing is that it is impossible to downgrade the firmware (because of different boards).

It is a stupid thing that a new device has the same name with the new one, but I think it's clear that the new model has a different board because it is MPEG4 and the older one is MJPEG.

Maybe it is an explanation for not including JPEGs attached in emails. Compression method is different.

MJPEG compression supose to compress each frame as a jpeg image -> after that it is simple to attach images to email.

MPEG4 compression works different, it doesn't not stores compressed jpegs but differences between images/frames, so it is not that simple to isolate in real time same jpegs (who plays with video editing knows what I'm saying). Of course, you can capture an image from video stream but that supose to have a little bit more computing power to move in real time.

I don'n know why it can takes a snapshot in VideoViewer and save it locally and it can not take a(some) snapshot and attach it to email?!?!?

Is it a problem of hardware (insufficient computing power, memory) or a lack of professionalism in building a firmware for doing that?!?!??

To add my own complaint other then the FTP/Email issue.

I cannot listen to audio over the internet to include both live, or recorded audio.

Do others have this same issue?

I had a similar issue with my dvr. I order a dvr8804 and it was a nice setup but would only send the link to the video, not an actual image and 9 times out of 10 the link wouldn't work. I was sold by the image in email feature and since I wanted to see some result of and alarm on my iphone the image was the only answer because it can't yet do java. So, I contacted the vendor and they contacted the manufacturer which even though our units are different make and models they are made by the same company which I think is axiontech. They are based in Taiwan. The person at the factory told him the new unit could not send images because it doesn't do motion jpeg recording and only did mpeg4. So I downgraded to the dvr8614 and now I get my images in the email. The systems are almost the same as functionality goes. I believe the newer version allowed larger usb drives to be used for backup and the menu was a bit nicer and it had a built in IR sensor for the remote.

With regard to the firmware the vendor tells me that they get new firmwares periodically for the units but don't release them until they are tested for 6 months. But I don't think a firmware can fix this. They just copy and paste from the description in the manual for their advertisements which is what makes it an issue.

The whole point of FTP is to have images available off site in case the unit itself is damaged/ stolen. This is a big problem for me because in all other respects the AVC 761 is a great piece of kit for the money but with a key advertised feature missing.

I record video for customers remotely via the Video Viewer. The film reel icon will record to your computer in a temp video file.

Would that be in option?

The DVR no longer records with JPEG, and I guess they have not "cleaned" up all of the firmware lines to remove the now dead feature.

I not being a computer expert is it possible to FTP with MPEG? The A series obviously does not.

scorpion:

is it possible to FTP with MPEG? The A series obviously does not

With actual firmware NO...

...it would be possible but the situation will become complicated.

I supose that the DVR uses a single (level of) cache memory to process the video signal. That cache it would be used in two ways: first one for video streaming (html remote view) and second for save file on HDD. These two ways seems to be totally separated: if an alarm triggers it cannot send that cache or a portion of it to FTP or email (it's difficult due to MPEG compression). I think the old version can do this due to posibility to isolate JPEGs in video cache.

So the DVR sends email (or FTP) containing only markers to that alarm time, which means you can access the event on HDD and not using video cache memory. The files already stored on HDD can be procesed in order to extract some portion of it (alarm event).

Maybe you will ask: why don't DVR send or attach a file saved on HDD which contain the alarm event triggered? I think the answer is simple: the file is encoded in a proprietary format and you cannot decode it without proper sofware. This means you can view it only with VideoViewer player: but if you need VV, you can backup files stored on HDD => so there is no need to atach files, it's no use.

... but still remains a question: if you can access a portion of recording (stored on HDD) why don't the DVR make the thing when alarm triggers? Like this way: when an alarm triggers, the DVR stores marker times, finish to process the "video cache memory", saves the files on HDD and after that recreate a file which contains the alarm portion and send it by email or FTP?!

It is capable to do this!!! When you open the email attachement the DVR do all that things but on your request... but to do itself it needs more hardware resources.

So I think that the new versions of fw will only correct bugs and will never offers these kind of capabilities.

... but still remains a question: if you can access a portion of recording (stored on HDD) why don't the DVR make the thing when alarm triggers? Like this way: when an alarm triggers, the DVR stores marker times, finish to process the "video cache memory", saves the files on HDD and after that recreate a file which contains the alarm portion and send it by email or FTP?!

It is capable to do this!!! When you open the email attachement the DVR do all that things but on your request... but to do itself it needs more hardware resources.

I was reading through the manual for the Intellecam JS-RTA series DVR's and that is exactly how they handle it.

They send the .mp4 file to an FTP server and can send you email alerts. It appears that which video is sent can be turned on or off on a channel by channel basis and be activated by motion,alarm input, or all recorded and by time of day. Of course you will still need to play it with their player.

I've just purchased my 6th AVtech DVR - new model! Spent hours trying to get .jpg uploaded by FTP. The older versions work just fine!

But guess what - it don't work!

A very useful feature - as criminals know to take the DVR with em in order to destroy footage! With FTP upload they are at least caught on camera up until the moment the DVR has no power!

Why sell something that is not capable of what is says on the label.

That's software for you!!!!

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THE VIDEO VIEWER VERSION 4 CHANNEL DVR THAT HAS THE FTP ISSUE.

Please PM me for a possible resolution.

I received it as tset. Are your wires crossed?

Just joking!

I believe I have a firmware that should fix this issue.

PM me with your email address.

That should be good news!

How much would it be worth to you to get the update?

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THE VIDEO VIEWER VERSION 4 CHANNEL DVR THAT HAS THE FTP ISSUE.

I would love to know a resolution please?

Also for those of you who are not receiving any email,

Does the local path your told the DVR to use on your computer, have any pictures in it?

Mine doesn't??

Fon

Scorpion,

I don't have enough posts yet to PM you, but would really like to get my hands on this.

Thanks

I'm a bit confused. Is email and FTP actually sending a file(s)? That is, you can send files but the content is not what you expected?

What o/s (Win, Linux) and FTP server are you using?

I've got a post under Computers/Networking 'cause the DVR FTP session is being terminated by the server before the file is sent. So if you can actually upload something/anything to an FTP server I'd love to know more details please.

Hi, can anyone advise where I can download firmware version 1238-1012-1033-1018-M3-6C1B or an updated version of that firmware.

Thank you.