laive9999

I have 3 ports in my DVR witch one i Should forward ?

i have in my DVR 3 Ports it is

WEB Server Port : 80

Video Port : 5000

Command Port : 5001

and should i Change eny of this ports

thanks

Depends on how you plan to remote access the DVR.

Port 80 would be for access through a web browser (Internet Explorer) in which case you should change to a different port.

Port 5000 & 5001 would be for access through the DVR Remote Client software which is fine.

What DVR Brand and model are you using?

Edited by Guest

Port 80 is a commonly used and accessed port.

Port 80 is the default port used for webservers and various other applications or services.

Port 80 is the default port used for webservers and various other applications or services.

A fact I'm well aware of. I'm asking why you would add a layer of complexity by changing that port for no security value. I could understand if you were going to use something like port knocking to open it, but simply moving it to 5002 doesn't help. It's either going to show up as a known or unknown web server to a port scan.

A fact I'm well aware of. I'm asking why you would add a layer of complexity by changing that port for no security value. I could understand if you were going to use something like port knocking to open it, but simply moving it to 5002 doesn't help. It's either going to show up as a known or unknown web server to a port scan.

That's true Thomas but some routers (netgear's in particular) I've seen block port 80 as well as a couple netopia's, so I could see the reasoning behind moving it to another port. As far as the original posters question I would say you will need to port forward all 3 of the ports on TCP and UDP to the dvr's IP address.

If you need more help let us all know.

Good luck,

Thanks,

John

I've never seen a ROUTER block port 80 specifically (some will block ALL ports except those you open; none will automatically forward any ports you don't specify).

I HAVE had an ISP block port 80, specifically a DSL ISP on residential connections - there are more than a few of my DVRs out there running their webservers on port 8008 because of this.

As for the original poster, the question is a little vague: he doesn't say WHY he's trying to forward any ports, whether he's trying to a remote client, or access via the web, or if he even DOES want remote access (if not, no port forwarding is required).

Most routers will allow you to forward more than one port per client, so there should be no reason not to forward all three and just be done with it.

That's true Thomas but some routers (netgear's in particular) I've seen block port 80 as well as a couple netopia's, so I could see the reasoning behind moving it to another port. As far as the original posters question I would say you will need to port forward all 3 of the ports on TCP and UDP to the dvr's IP address.

If you need more help let us all know.

Good luck,

Thanks,

John

They locked those ports and didn't allow unlocking them? You'll understand that I am extremely skeptical of that. 80 is a fairly common port for forwarding, and there is nothing gained by that kind of crippling.

i can view my DVR in local network but i can not see it by Internet ?

Are you trying to view by Internet (public IP) from within the same LAN as the DVR? Or from another location?

Are you sure you have port forwarding setup properly?

Is your ISP blocking ports?

Are you trying to view by Internet (public IP) from within the same LAN as the DVR? Or from another location?

laive9999: From anther location

Are you sure you have port forwarding setup properly?

laive9999: yes

Is your ISP blocking ports?

laive9999: yes

Try connecting using the Remote Client Software first.

If that works, change the web server port to something else.

If it doesn't, then your port forwarding is not setup correctly.