paulmills

Avtech S782 DVR with Belkin wireless Gaming Adapter

Hello,

I have virgin media cable internet in my living room and a DVR (records CCTV footage) in my bedroom. The DVR has a built in web server which allows me to view my CCTV recording from anywhere on the net. To get this to work i have to be able to connect the DVR to the cable internet connection and configure some NAT. Therefore i went out and brought a Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter (model below)

I attached the router to the cable modem and then used my wireless enabled laptop to confirm the wireless router is working all OK and connection sustained for over 2 hours. I also enabled WPA (TKIP) encryption on the router. All worked OK even though ive read on forums that WPA is not supported!

I then went to my bedroom and configured the gaming adapter (using desktop) to peer with my secure cable network wireless router downstairs in my living room. This worked fine and my desktop could connect to the internet (I had to assign static ip address and dns to desktop). Looked promising. Then the real crunch, attaching my DVR to the wireless gaming adapter.

I configured my DVR with a static ip address and plugged this into the gaming adapter and that’s where it all went wrong

No wireless "bridge" is formed from the gaming adpater to the Belkin router. The LAN link lights on the gaming adapter and the DVR are lit (solid) however i cannot connect to the DVR from the internet or locally on MY LAN. The wireless light on the Belkin gaming adapter does not flash and is not lit. wherease the wireless light on the belkin router is lit.

I tested this thoroughly but in essence i plugged my laptop into my Belkin router and tried pinging the dvr and no luck...

This should work right? Will a firmware update help? What difference is an xb360 to a DVR? (networking wise that is!)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

P

DVR: 4 Channel Pentaplex Avtech S782 CCTV DVR

Gaming Adapter - Belkin F5D7330UK - 54G Ethernet - Gaming Adapter

Router - Belkin F5D9230UK4 G+MIMO Router

This should work right?

No.

Will a firmware update help?

Probably not.

What difference is an xb360 to a DVR? (networking wise that is!)

XB360 probably has some form of generic driver support for the adapter... I'm betting your DVR doesn't. Your only hope would be if there's a firmware update for the DVR that adds that driver... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hi Soundy,

I agree with your points, but what gets me is why a DVR NIC will talk to my laptop NIC if i directly connect via cat5 cable but it wont talk to a gaming adapter. Furthermore, the gaming adapter and router are made by the same supplier (Belkin) and they both have the latest firmware. The DVR will work if directly connected to the Belkin router but will not work when connected via the Gaming Adapter.

How often to people update firmware on their DVRs, is it safe and supported by manufacturer?

Thanks for the info.

P

Hi Soundy,

I agree with your points, but what gets me is why a DVR NIC will talk to my laptop NIC if i directly connect via cat5 cable but it wont talk to a gaming adapter.

Okay, my bad... for some reason I was thinking this was a USB adapter or something... that's what I get for posting at 4am. Sorry.

Furthermore, the gaming adapter and router are made by the same supplier (Belkin) and they both have the latest firmware.

I doubt that would have anything to do with it - the problem would have to be in the connection between the adapter and the DVR, not between the adapter and router.

The DVR will work if directly connected to the Belkin router but will not work when connected via the Gaming Adapter.

Just a thought: are you using straight-through or crossover cables? The page I looked up for that adapter says to connect it to the network device with a "regular cat5 cable", but in order to plug the DVR straight into your laptop you'd need to us a crossover cable... UNLESS the DVR's ethernet port is already MDI to allow you to use a straight cable to a computer, in which case you'd need a crossover to connect the router to it.

I dunno if that made sense (it almost doesn't to me when I re-read it) but in a nutshell: if you're connecting the DVR to the adapter with a straight-through cable, try it with a crossover cable instead.

How often to people update firmware on their DVRs, is it safe and supported by manufacturer?

If it wasn't supported, they wouldn't release the firmware updates to the public. It's generally safe, as long as you follow their instructions.

I love the feedback that you are getting from the other forum!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33639819-belkin-wireless-g-router-belkin-gaming.html

I agree with you on one hand that it should work the way that you have set it up.

For some reason the gaming adapter is not providing the DVR what it needs.

Interesting project. I would like to know what the solution would be myself.

If a computer works then the DVR should work.

Unless there is a port problem. Perhaps try a different port number on the DVR.

From what I read on the other forum you are not "dummy" when it comes to networking, and it appears to have the right numbers installed under the network section of the DVR menu.

Things that make you go Hmmm?

Just a thought: are you using straight-through or crossover cables? The page I looked up for that adapter says to connect it to the network device with a "regular cat5 cable", but in order to plug the DVR straight into your laptop you'd need to us a crossover cable... UNLESS the DVR's Rthernet port is already MDI to allow you to use a straight cable to a computer, in which case you'd need a crossover to connect the router to it.

Yep, i come from a Cisco background so understand MDX. What is MDI?

My laptop has a MDX sensing NIC therefore i can use a cross-over between laptop and DVR or straight through.

I have tried:

-X-over between DVR and gaming adapter.

- Straight-through between DVR and gaming adapter.

- I have plugged a 8 port Netgear hub between DVR and gaming adapter but no luck

- I have also plugged in a 8 port Netgear hub into router to sniff traffic for ip conflicts (using wireshark).

Its really annoying as in theory it should all work

I have posted this on a cable/belkin forum as well as this forum as someone out there must be doing what im trying to achieve? Or do you all have a DVR right next to your internet connection/router?

Thanks for you input so far guys/gals.

Just a thought: are you using straight-through or crossover cables? The page I looked up for that adapter says to connect it to the network device with a "regular cat5 cable", but in order to plug the DVR straight into your laptop you'd need to us a crossover cable... UNLESS the DVR's Rthernet port is already MDI to allow you to use a straight cable to a computer, in which case you'd need a crossover to connect the router to it.

Yep, i come from a Cisco background so understand MDX. What is MDI?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_dependent_interface

My laptop has a MDX sensing NIC therefore i can use a cross-over between laptop and DVR or straight through.

I have tried:

-X-over between DVR and gaming adapter.

- Straight-through between DVR and gaming adapter.

- I have plugged a 8 port Netgear hub between DVR and gaming adapter but no luck

- I have also plugged in a 8 port Netgear hub into router to sniff traffic for ip conflicts (using wireshark).

Its really annoying as in theory it should all work

Sorry if you already mentioned this, but... you say you've configured the adapter using your desktop, but have you tried plugging it into the laptop when it's in the same location as the DVR? You say the wireless link light is out on the adapter, so maybe it's simply not getting signal from the router? The WLAN light on the router is irrelevant; all it's indicating is that WLAN is active, not necessarily that anything else is connected to it.

I have posted this on a cable/belkin forum as well as this forum as someone out there must be doing what im trying to achieve? Or do you all have a DVR right next to your internet connection/router?

I have an 8' rack in my computer room; my router, cable modem, desktop machine, two servers, and DVR are all in that rack, and all hard-wired

lol - OK missed the I in MDIX.

Sorry if you already mentioned this, but... you say you've configured the adapter using your desktop, but have you tried plugging it into the laptop when it's in the same location as the DVR? You say the wireless link light is out on the adapter, so maybe it's simply not getting signal from the router? The WLAN light on the router is irrelevant; all it's indicating is that WLAN is active, not necessarily that anything else is connected to it.

I configured the adapter using my laptop (plug rj45 cable between laptop and gaming adapter). During the configuration all it does is peer to the wireless router and ask you to unplug and plug into gaming console. I plug straight into DVR.

It has to be some incompatibility between DVR and gaming adapter. I say this because i can plug my laptop into the Ethernet port on the gaming adapter (once it has been configured that is) and walk onto the street and connect to the wireless router and browse the net.

Can i get firmware updates/instructions direct from Avtech?

[i have an 8' rack in my computer room; my router, cable modem, desktop machine, two servers, and DVR are all in that rack, and all hard-wired Smile

Nice! Unfortunately i don’t have a computer room so have to make use of the bedroom and living room and I’m useless at the art of neat cabling even with cable tidies!

Cheers

P

I configured the adapter using my laptop (plug rj45 cable between laptop and gaming adapter). During the configuration all it does is peer to the wireless router and ask you to unplug and plug into gaming console. I plug straight into DVR.

It has to be some incompatibility between DVR and gaming adapter. I say this because i can plug my laptop into the Ethernet port on the gaming adapter (once it has been configured that is) and walk onto the street and connect to the wireless router and browse the net.

Can i get firmware updates/instructions direct from Avtech?

I would expect so... they may also have an answer as to why the adapter isn't working. I've never dealt with them or seen any of their systems, but if there is an update available, that would be the only place to get it. Of course, their support may also be non-helpful or non-existent - I've certainly run into enough off-brand systems where that's the case (as well as a few big-name-brand systems *ahem*GE*coff*).

Soundy - on another forum i just found out that the wireless gaming adapter has an advanced configuration option (something i had hoped for but did no think it would have). This will allow me to configure the wireless adapter with a L3 interface and perform some more testing.

In the meanwhile, i have raised a ticket with Avtech as they will no doubt call me on new years eve!

P.s Avtech looks to be a big brand, well, that's what they're marketing says. What DVR brands/model would you recommend...

Im starting to get intrested in the CCTV/DVR field...

It will be interesting to see if you get this working. But considering you must have run cables for the cameras, Why not just run an Ethernet cable from the router to the DVR? Cabling obstacles maybe easier to overcome then equipment incompatibilities...

P.s Avtech looks to be a big brand, well, that's what they're marketing says.

That's what marketing is all about

What DVR brands/model would you recommend...

Frankly, I've never run across a standalone DVR I've particularly liked, most of the ones I've run into have been pretty minimalist (read: cheap machines bought by cheap customers - no offense ) Some don't even provide a way to export video - you basically have to connect some other recording device (VCR or something) to its video output.

One of exceptions has been a Digital Watchdog, but I can't speak to their networking capabilities. Usually by the time we get into that price range, it's getting close to the range of PC-based DVRs, which most people prefer (clicking a mouse is a lot easier than tapping your way through a bunch of menus with front-panel buttons).

We deal mostly with PC-based DVRs; we build out own using Video Insight, and we sell and install Vigil systems, which are really excellent packages. VI has pretty decent tech support; Vigil's is typically really good and responsive.

OK...

after some investigation it looks at though the Avtech DVR does not like a DNS entry.

I realised (through pain) that the DVR is capable of DHCP. Not well documented and GUI is no intuitive or it just maybe that its the first DVR I’ve played with ... so i configured the DVR for DHCP and it worked! Obviously i needed to get it to work with Static as my kids feel the standby button and flashing lights mean "press me"... so when punching in the static info it looks as though the DVR (for some unknown reason to me) does not like a DNS server entry! It is only happy with ip/default gateway and mask

It working now.. slow due to 54Mbps gaming adapter but hey problem solved

Thanks for your advice and guidance... much appreciated.

I hope to return soon on my next DVR project.

So it just the DHCP?

Basic router setup

Basic game adapter setup

and configuring the DVR for DHCP and your done!

I will log this in to my notes!

Thanks for the feedback!

OK...

after some investigation it looks at though the Avtech DVR does not like a DNS entry.

I realised (through pain) that the DVR is capable of DHCP. Not well documented and GUI is no intuitive or it just maybe that its the first DVR I’ve played with ... so i configured the DVR for DHCP and it worked! Obviously i needed to get it to work with Static as my kids feel the standby button and flashing lights mean "press me"... so when punching in the static info it looks as though the DVR (for some unknown reason to me) does not like a DNS server entry! It is only happy with ip/default gateway and mask

I'd see if your router supports reserved DHCP - many will allow you to lock a given IP to a give machine's MAC address with their DHCP servers, so that IP is never given out to another device.

So it just the DHCP?

Basic router setup

Basic game adapter setup

and configuring the DVR for DHCP and your done!

I will log this in to my notes!

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Scorpion,

Yep, if i set my Avtech for DHCP it works a treat with basic settings on gaming adapater and router. However, if your're configuring static ip address on dvr it does not like a dns server so i left this blank.

Furthermore the gaming adapter and router work fine with WPA encryption which some forums said i may have issues with.

Hope this help

P

OK...

I'd see if your router supports reserved DHCP - many will allow you to lock a given IP to a give machine's MAC address with their DHCP servers, so that IP is never given out to another device.

Hi Soundy - Yep, im aware of this feature and my netgaer and BT have this but for some reason the Belkin router does not. But its all working which is the main thing.