Mobotix cameras provide excellent quality video. Their outdoor models are particularly interesting because no environmental housing is required and since they are POE ready you can run a single cable. POE is normally not possible when using housings with heaters and fans (although there are now environmenal POE housings coming to market). So outdoor installation is easy. There are models with dual image sensors which can be stitched together into a 180 degree field of view. So you can get a lot of coverage with a singe camera. On the negative side, the cameras use either MJPEF or Mobotix own MXPEG, both of which are very data intensive compared to MPEG-4. As these are megapixel cameras they will generate a huge amount of data, i.e., bandwidth and data storage usage. We see these as very application specific cameras rather than main stream. They are expensive on a unit cost basis but provide compelling economics for many applications.

we just installed 11 mobotix cameras here in chicago, the client was very impressed with the picture quality.. also no licensing fee for their software and no need for outdoor housings - install was easy becuse all of their models are poe so we just setup a 24port adtran poe switch and a 4terabite nas to record - we are getting about 4 weeks storage

we have most of them set at 800x600 for 12fps pal which is pretty good, it does lower with the amount of activity... if you want to go full 3mp you will get a lower frame rate but thats with most -- h.264 is helping cameras compress video but mobotix hasnt gone there yet

we have most of them set at 800x600 for 12fps pal which is pretty good, it does lower with the amount of activity... if you want to go full 3mp you will get a lower frame rate but thats with most -- h.264 is helping cameras compress video but mobotix hasnt gone there yet

I would choose Arecont xx05 H264 series. They do high frame rates.

Hi Guys, I recently released an article on Mobotix that reviews the offering and discusses strengths and weaknesses: http://ipvideomarket.info/report/mobotix_megapixel_video_surveillance_products

I tend to think if you are going to use all Mobotix (cameras and management software), it makes a lot of sense. However, if you are going to use third party management software, it's a lot closer between Mobotix, IQinvision, Arecont, etc.

I don't get it

u have 3mp camera which u set at 800x600

right ?

Mobotix only offers 3MP camera. You cannot buy a 1.3 or 2MP camera. You can owly buy the 3MP and then set the resolution lower. It's obviously inefficient if you do not need the full 3MP. You could save by buying a 1.3MP from IQinVision, etc.

Mobotix only offers 3MP camera. You cannot buy a 1.3 or 2MP camera. You can owly buy the 3MP and then set the resolution lower. It's obviously inefficient if you do not need the full 3MP. You could save by buying a 1.3MP from IQinVision, etc.

That was my point too

Mobotix does offer at least 3 flavors for most models. For example, the D22 dome camera is available in 4 flavors:

D22MI-Basic - VGA (640x480) (no internal DVR on this)

D22M-IT - VGA (640x480)

D22M-Sec - 3mp (2048x1536)

D22M-Sec-Night - 1mp (1280x960)

It is true that 3MP is only available in 10fps. If you want 30fps, a lower resolution is required, but this is *independent* of capturing 3MP at 10fps. So, you could store 3MP@10fps on the internal dvr and watch 800x600@30fps via their free software and watch 800x600@10fps via your favorite web browser - all at the same time, with audio.

--

Marc

IQinvision around $900 for their 1.3MP camera without lens and Mobotix 3mp for $998 retail with lens - i'll take the mobotix and the free management software.. i'll also bet that a 3mp camera scaling down to 1mp has a better image than a 1mp camera -- i havnt tested but i also like the ability to jump to 3mp when needed... they will also take snapshots at 3mp - or whatever res you want on event or time while also recording at a lower resolution

why buy a Ferrari if your not going to drive 225mph all the time? same argument uve thrown out there

IQinvision around $900 for their 1.3MP camera without lens and Mobotix 3mp for $998 retail with lens - i'll take the mobotix and the free management software.. i'll also bet that a 3mp camera scaling down to 1mp has a better image than a 1mp camera -- i havnt tested but i also like the ability to jump to 3mp when needed... they will also take snapshots at 3mp - or whatever res you want on event or time while also recording at a lower resolution

Dont forget what FPS Mobotix does at 3mpix. Is 4fps enough for cctv? I dont think so.

Dont forget what FPS Mobotix does at 3mpix. Is 4fps enough for cctv? I dont think so.

That's using M-JPEG. Using their proprietary MxPEG they get 10 fps. Before you say it, wish they used an open standard instead .

i think Mobotix cameras run very well with NUUO solution.

even with the NAS linux embedded NVR standalone, this kind of package is especially for small and medium size business, home users, chain stores, laundry shops, ATM, etc.