Ron Beck

help with home 6-8 channel DVR purchase

have had some vandalism issues and would like to purchase a minimum of 6 camera stand-alone DVR with capability of easily providing documentation of the video to the police if incident is captured. Price range for DVR approx. $700. Thoughts?

Avoid 8 channel dvrs in this price range.

You may get a DVR is this price range, but then you may have to buy a hard drive on top of this, and install it.

If quality is not of the issue then this price range may be doable.

Make sure the product has BNC connectors and not din connectors, or what looks like telephone connectors. Insist on BNC connectors as you will appreciate it down the road!

have had some vandalism issues and would like to purchase a minimum of 6 camera stand-alone DVR with capability of easily providing documentation of the video to the police if incident is captured. Price range for DVR approx. $700. Thoughts?

Simplest and the most cost effective six channel recorder that I know is from Sanyo... DSR-3506H80 model... it is little older than their current offering, but still available in the market and sells for under $600 with 80GB storage. Very easy to upgrade to 1TB internal storage and simple to program. The video export could be transferred to CompactFlash for plug 'N' play removable media or via local or remote Internet connection. It is embedded, so no need to any updates necessary nor easy to hack... It is not a Microsoft or Linux based system, rather machine language based.. thus nobody can change it nor be able to modify.

If interested more, please PM..

Would this have the BNC connectors which Scorpion mentioned? Other than that, seems like it might meet our needs. Thank you both for your responses. I cannot PM as I have not posted enough yet on the Forum.

I posted a new thread instead of replying. I will try to fix it but if I don't please do a search and you will see my reply to your question on vandalism.

A lot was just harrassing - dead animals in the yard, trash in the pool, etc. Main concern was that during our absence, our landscaping was treated with a herbicide such as Roundup. Almost lost our mature redwood trees, crepe myrtles, liquid ambers, even our grass. This was in our back yard so whomever must have some "grudge" agains us that we are not aware of. Can't believe that it was just random because it was so deliberate. Some of our plants still may not survive even though we worked very hard after seeking expert advice on how to respond to this type of poisoning. It was very distressing and the police, of course, have nothing to work with for evidence.

Too early in the morning, I guess. This should have been a response to question in my previous thread but for some reason I did not do it as a reply, I guess. Need more coffee! anyway, this was a response to the question on how much damage the vandalism caused and should have threaded with the help on purchasing a 6-8 channel home DVR.

OK, my coffee kicked in and I moved this back where it should be and deleted the other posting. Sorry about any confusion here.