squale

Anybody ever mount a pan/tilt/zoom camera on a house's roof?

Just wondering, would it be cheaper and better coverage to just mount one pan/tilt/zoom camera on the roof of your house instead of mounting 4 seperate bullet cameras under the roof overhang on each corner of your house?

I don't know if having something mounted on your roof up there could cause a problem with ice build up in the winter or could always get snow covering the lens, etc...

I am about to install my 3 bullet cameras this weekend attached to my roof soffits on 3 corners of the house, but was wondering if I should save those cameras for inside and maybe go with a single pan/tilt/zoom mounted on my roof to monitor all sides of my property from a birds eye perspective?

I have a ridge vent on my roof so I could just easily stick the siamese cable through the opening of the ridge vent to get to a camera mounted on my roof..

it would probably cost lots for a good pan/tilt/zoom camera huh?

I paid $172 for each of my color bullets

PTZ's are alot of fun. When we have people come into the office they all love to play with the PTZ's.

do you need special wiring for them? like will regular RG59 Siamese 12vdc cable work with pan/tilt/zoom? or do you need different or more cable?

ah so actually 3 wires... power, video and control wire huh?

what does a 24volt AC put out much more power than 12volt DC? Isn't your house 110volt AC through, what does it go through a converter that downgrades the volts to 24 volts only?

Three sets of wires. Some of the higher end cameras support coaxatrion (or what ever the company wants to call it) in which you send the control up the coax. It's a bit more then just the increase in voltage. AC acts differantly then DC.

ah so actually 3 wires... power, video and control wire huh?

If the PTZ is being used a short distance from the monitoring position, then direct drive using a multicore cable is the cheapest option; you can then use a spare pair(s) for the camera power supply, so only two cables needed, multicore for control (inc. Power) and co-ax for Video.

Telemetry control sending signals up the video coax is generally much better suited to longer distance or multi camera operations.

The choice of P/T motor (i.e. AC or DC) is generally based on requirements. For variable speed operation most modern heads use DC motors, whereas for constant speed operation, syncronous AC motors are far more efficient and stable (i.e. their speed is dictated by the mains reference, either 50 or 60 Hz).

squale,

As Thomas said "PTZ's are great if you will be monitoring 24/7. If not then four cameras may be the better option."

I couldn't have put it better myself. Many PTZ cameras are installed for all the wrong reasons, they're great fun, but generally should not be used in place of statics, but preferably in support of them.

Good luck with the fixed cams.

I'm dealing with a client who has a problem with employees smoking pot in the back room of a convenace store. He wants to put in a PTZ just for the sheer terror factor of moving it around when they are back there. That's a use for PTZ's.

Seems a rather excessive (and expensive) way of solving the problem.

You would have thought the mere fact of being observed on CCTV ( using a static camera) or catching them at it using a covert installation, would be far more effective.

Maybe we are less phased by CCTV cameras over here - four and a quarter million and counting ....

I'm dealing with a client who has a problem with employees smoking pot in the back room of a convenace store. He wants to put in a PTZ just for the sheer terror factor of moving it around when they are back there. That's a use for PTZ's.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

that customer of your is my kind of guy!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa