VST_Man

Network Monitoring Software

Wireshark is a free sniffer and works pretty well.

You can see IP/MAC addresses and what ports they use, as well as the data.

Keep in mind that with data switches you won't be able to see other devices unless you use an old fashioned hub, or a smart switch that can be configured with a monitor port.

thanks..........is there a reasonably "inexpensive" switch I can purchase to improve my monitoring? I'd like to monitor/confirm bandwidth usage on DVR's & cameras while testing them.

If you want bandwidth and usage monitoring from port to port on the same switch, you're looking at some type of managed switch. Those will be far more expensive (several hundred $) than a standard switch (easily < $100). Monitoring usage across a router would be far easier, and even free DIY routers (like smoothwall) give you bandwidth usage graphs.

I have a managed 16-port gigabit switch in my home server rack, and it works great. Even though it has the capability, I never use the monitoring features, since my home network usage doesn't even come close to saturating the switch.

******** Edit *********

I should point out that you could insert a hub between the computers you want to sniff, or do a cache-poisoning attack on the switch, but that's probably more hacker-ish than you really want to get.

You can monitor the bandwidth on your PC i.e. when you are running the viewing software with a free trial from http://bandwidthmonitorpro.com/

To check your connection ports etc within the command prompt type netstat

or netstat -a or netstat -e

this should list the ports in use local and remote on your PC

Hope this helps?

Are you trying to monitor local lan network or to and from internet? If to and from internet, then you only have one point of egress/ingress so you only need to sniff the router.

For "home" based routers, going with a DD-WRT compatible router give you monitoring right in the firmware.