toast68

IR Illuminator floodlight

Can someone recommend an IR illuminator that acts more as a floodlight than a spot light? I have a Sony SNC-RZ25N mounted on my house. I would like to light up my front yard with an IR illuminator so when I spin the camera, everything is covered. I bought a IR Illuminator off EBay (cheapo) and it works great as a spot light. I can light up my neighbors house like a christmas tree. When I try to hit my front yard with it, it only lights up a small area.

The area to cover is 90 feet wide and 100 feet deep. I could get a few illuminators and fan them out but I'd rather use a single one.

Thanks.

Derwent also does a good range of IR products, again not cheap (unless you can pick one up second hand) but you get what you pay for with their IR..

I did an entire review on a bunch of Ebay illuminators:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13935

In short, the Raytec provides the most light... but at a very steep price. The poor-man's choice in that list is that long, silver-colored tubular, lens-ended Ebay illuminator.

I'm using those on both sides of my home right now, and not only are they adjustable (in terms of beam spread), but the light they provide is very even; no hot-spots. They're also waterproof, and you can get higher-powered versions.

sawbones:

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to do that testing.

I'd consider myself to be a 'hobbiest' at this stuff. I have the Sony SNC-RZ25N up at my house. I want to add some fixed cameras and now know that getting cameras with the IR's in the dome is a bad choice. I found some vandal resistant cameras with the IRs around the lens but no dome. I think I will be going with those. The IR's from those should also help the Sony as they will be overlapping in coverage. I will probably get a few IR's to supplement the coverage.

As a hobbiest, I have no intention of spending $2500 on an IR illuminator. It looks like 4 or 5 of the EBay models will work just fine.

Thanks again

The best way is to build your own. I built one with 284 leds and put a fog light lens over it. It does real good. You can also put the leds on a cruve so that the light spreads out more. I am getting ready to put camera back online. I use it to watch the deer in the woods. Last camers went out so I bought me a Panasonic CP-484 with a housing that has a heater and blower. You can find ir leds cheap. I got 1000 for $40. On my new set up I also built it so that the light only comes on at night. All you need to do this is a Photoresistor and relay. I also have a 12v fan in the light to keep it cool.

Troy

I bought one of the 140 LED models. I milled 2 slots in the bottom to allow fan air to circulate from the rear to the front around the LEDs. I have a foam block in the center of the lower case against the circuit board to separate the airflow, and bug screens over the slots. I also added a 25 watt rheostat at the power supply to adj. illumination. I have not installed the thing yet. I will post how well/bad it does.

Edited by Guest

Extreme CCTV has flood IRs but they are not cheap.

Examples:

beampattern_uf500.GIF

beampattern_uf100.GIF

Given that average wide angle camera is at least 70+ degrees width. (eg. 4mm)

Also note that with IR the lower you go and higher you point the IR the better, and if it has a reflective surface close to the max IR distance it will also help alot.

EX82 - 4mm lens, 30 degree IR, reflective surfaces up to and at 90' approx. Pitch dark.

poolIR2.jpg

EX82 solarized image - shows no reflective area at up to its max IR distance of approx 75-100'. hence the small spot light effect on that large back yard.

ex82_Solarized.jpg

Eg. Flood. Pitch Dark with UF500

uf500ex82.jpg

Another example:

11-47-31-PM.jpg

this is a common problem with illuminators. we have used multiple illuminators that create a scatter effect and tend to diminish the flashlight effect that you speak of

Sometimes you're simply better off with multiple illuminators. Not only does it give you better coverage, but you're not completely blind if one of them goes Tango-Uniform.