Rachel

Home CCTV system design

Hi Guys,

I live in sydney and my new home is nearly finished. I would like to have a couple of cameras installed for a little extra security as I live alone. If possible I would like the cameras to be recorded onto my PC when movement is detected outside and if possible the picture to also come up onto my TV. Is this possible? I would like everyones opinion here as people I talk to in Sydney are just trying to sell me their products. Also what type of fixed colour cameras would be suitable? I want clear pictures even in low light. any help would be much appreciated.

Rachel

Hello.

Well, first thing is that if you are planning on using a PC based DVR, then you are going to need a PC just for that. You really cannot use your personal computer to use as a security system. The best way to tell you what types of cameras to use would be to post pictures of the areas where you would like the cameras to see, so this way, we can recommend what type of cameras to use.

And last but not least, what kind of budget you are looking at?

This way we know what to recommend to you that's not out of your price range.

Hermin

Thanks for the fast reply!

I was thinking of getting a dedicated PC. The areas I want to cover are my garage and front door with one camera which would be an area of about 7 meters x 5 meters and my back yard of about the same size. I only wanted to spend a couple of thousand dollars but if it was going to make a hugh difference in quality I could probably strech a little more. Sorry, don't have any pics at the moment.

Rachel

[/img]

PC based sysstems require more knowledge of PC operating systems than a "stand-alone" DVR. There are pro's and con's for both. It depend on how much you want to devote to administering a "system". Stand alone is pretty much hands off, outside reviewing video. PC Based is 5 times more operator intense, but, the flexability of a PC based system, better motion detection, easier file transfers/archives, ect. I recommend it like this; if your "geek", get a PC Based system. If you have trouble programing your VCR, get a stand alone system. As with everything else, better quality equals more money spent. I suggest reading everything you can in this forum to get an idea on what the differences are before you spend any money. And of course, if you allow a professional to recommend and install, all you need to worry about is enjoying the view.

he got that to the point, just that it depends on what type of DVR card you get for the PC, the most famous, which you are going to be sseeing mewntioned a lot is GEOVISION. Personally, I sell the Witness, no problems with it whatsoever, plus there are plenty of other companies that make stand alone.

Your best bet is to take the time to read thru the forum, and post any questions that you have, but educate yourself first, and we'll make sure that you make the right purchase for what you want to do

hermin

Hi Rachel:

I've worked with CCTV in Sydney for more than 4 years now starting with a very large international manufacturer and currently with a local distributor. In my experience, there are several installation companies that can work with you to provide a solution based on your requirements.

If you intend to go alone, note that the two major distribution chains sell to professional installers only, so at some stage - if you are looking for a professionally installed quality system - you will have to deal with the people here.

The industry association ASIAL is a good place to start. Here you can search for installers by location so you can find someone local (all good installers are a member of ASIAL).

www.asial.com.au

Trade shows are another good way to educate yourself, next one is Sydney isn't until August though.

If you'd like some suggestions, please PM me.

Regards:

Dave

Rachel,

As someone also configuring a home surveillance system, I suggest you focus on quality and plan to expand. You have a good budget, so make sure you don't "cheap out" on the cameras and get a DVR that can handle more inputs should you decide to expand in the future.

Other things to consider: Do you want your cameras to be low profile or in-your-face? For example, you probably don't want the neighbors pointing to your cameras and spreading gossip that you're running a crack house, or something. There's a place for different camera styles. In my configuration, the goal is to keep the front yard low profile (e.g., discretely placed domes) and the backyard high profile (e.g., big-assed, high-quality cameras in housings).

Thanks for they advice guys.

I will do a little more research and work out exactly what my requirements are.

Rachel

Thanks for they advice guys.

I will do a little more research and work out exactly what my requirements are.

Rachel

I know this is an old topic, but just wondering what you decided to use rachel ?