Hello! I'm having abit of a problem with my GV IP NVR.

My system setup is following:

Geovision NVR with dongle for up to 10 cameras

10 ip cameras, IQeye 511

Netgear switch FS116P

D-link switch DS-1008P

All the cameras are spread out on diffrent locations, therefor I'm having one switch with 8 cameras and the other switch for the remaining 2 cameras.

The two switches are linked up to eachother and then connected to the GV server.

When I run the system with only 2 cameras it's working fine, BUT when I connect 3,4 or all the cameras to the system it's starting to randomly losing connection on and off!

When I call my distributer in Sweden he gives me the usual "support talk bull****".

When I browse my cameras in Internet Explorer there is no problems what so ever. But as soon as I connect 3 or more cameras to the GV server it loses connection or the cameras freez on all or some cameras in completly random order.

Anyone had ANY similar problems like this?

Please get back to me in this forumthread ASAP!

Cincerly, Manison Security AB Sweden!

Hi or Hei!

A few frågor for you:

1. Does it mather which switch you use or does 2 cameras work no matter which swich is used.

2. Have you tried too take away 1 switch and run only the one with 8 cameras connected, any hcange?

3. What is the FPS, resoltuon and codec settings on your cameras/GV NVR?

4. Have you made any observations on your bandwith and CPU/Memory usage when running the 2 cameras and then 3,4 and so on?

What is the LAN Speed on the switch'es and NIC in PC also if 1Gbit are you using Cat6 cables on all cables also short patch cables?

Regards

JD - Nordbaggar

Hello! I'm having abit of a problem with my GV IP NVR.

10 ip cameras, IQeye 511

Netgear switch FS116P

D-link switch DS-1008P

All the cameras are spread out on diffrent locations, therefor I'm having one switch with 8 cameras and the other switch for the remaining 2 cameras.

The two switches are linked up to eachother and then connected to the GV server.

When I run the system with only 2 cameras it's working fine, BUT when I connect 3,4 or all the cameras to the system it's starting to randomly losing connection on and off!

When I call my distributer in Sweden he gives me the usual "support talk bull****".

When I browse my cameras in Internet Explorer there is no problems what so ever. But as soon as I connect 3 or more cameras to the GV server it loses connection or the cameras freez on all or some cameras in completly random order.

Anyone had ANY similar problems like this?

Please get back to me in this forumthread ASAP!

Cincerly, Manison Security AB Sweden!

Just a very quick stab at this, but what are the IP addresses of all 10 cameras? Did you manually set the IP address of each camera, or is each IP address assigned via DHCP? If two or more cameras have the same IP, that could cause problems.

Best,

Christopher

Wonder what kind of bandwidth all those cameras are sucking up... IIRC, those cameras can do 1.3MP at 15 frames per second. Now, assuming MJPEG and just spitballing the numbers, aren't you pushing 10Mb+ per camera with those settings?

Put enough of those on a 100Mb switch, account for protocol overhead, and you're going to run out of pipe.

Most likely a bandwith problem. Those switches will probably be to weak to stream megapixel cameras with a high framerate. Try to switch one of those into a gigabit switch and see what happens.

What type of cable do you have between the switches?

How much data can the Geovision unit receive at the same time in Mbit?

Have you tested by starting with 2 cameras, then 3,4,5 etc. ?

10 ip cameras, IQeye 511

Netgear switch FS116P

D-link switch DS-1008P

Can you provide us with the following information?

- camera 1 IP:

- camera 2 IP:

- camera 3 IP:

- camera 4 IP:

- camera 5 IP:

- camera 6 IP:

- camera 7 IP:

- camera 8 IP:

- switch 1 IP: (please include full IP config inc. subnet mask, gateway...)

- switch 2 IP: (please include full IP config inc. subnet mask, gateway...)

- Which ports do you use to link the two switches? GBIC or twisted pair?

- Does the LED on the panel indicate that you are connecting at 1000Mbps between switches?

- Which cameras are on switch 1?

- Which cameras are on switch 2?

- Which switch is the NVR plugged into and which port is used? If it's streaming from 8 IP cameras, you'll likely need 1000Mbps for this link too.

- What FPS is each camera configured for?

- Is it possible to run additional CAT6 lines between switches? The model you chose supports "link aggregation" - combine bandwidth of up to 8 ports instead of running fiber.

- Were any other switch features changed from factory default, such as "spanning tree"?

- Anything interesting in the logs? Does "monitoring/statistics" report any errors? Dropped packets? If so, which port(s)?

I agree with Sawbones - smells like a bandwidth issue, but you need to help us help you by providing the details above so that we can identify the bottleneck.

Also you should be able to see the bandwidth usage per port on the switch and use the Task Manager on your NVR to see the Network Utilization on your server. The cameras will use the 10/100 ports on the switches and the server and the Link between the switches should be gigabyte.

I would also test all of your cat5/cat6 runs with a network certifier to rule out any wiring problems.

I would test the wire runs first. Then check the settings in the switches. Then the settings in the server.