scorpion

Inauguration photo (interactive)

Here is an interactive photo of the inauguration. It is a gigapixal panorama.

Click on it, and zoom in, and move around as you would with Google Earth.

http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?id=15374

You cannot see them at first, but there are construction cranes way in the background. Click on the picture, and then move to the right side of the picture. They are behind the "camera" tower.

If you zoom in on them you should be able to read the Morrow sign on the crane!

Have you ever wanted to see the corinthium columns, and the details up close?

See if you can find the Secret Service Snipers!

What do you think?

David Bergman made this Gigapan image from the north press platform during President Obama's inaugural address at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC on January 20, 2009. It's made up of 220 images and the final image size is 59,783 X 24,658 pixels or 1,474 megapixels.

I covered my first inauguration and what an inauguration it was.

Barack Obama became the 44th President of the United States in a ceremony on the west front of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, DC.

Before Tuesday, I had photographed five presidents and covered big events including the Olympics, the Super Bowl, and concerts like Live 8 and Live Earth.

But this one was the biggest.

It deserved a big photo.

I made a panoramic image showing the nearly two million people who watched President Obama’s inaugural address. To do so, I clamped a Gigapan Imager to the railing on the north media platform about six feet from my photo position. The Gigapan is a robotic camera mount that allows me to take multiple images and stitch them together, creating a massive image file.

My final photo is made up of 220 Canon G10 images and the file is 59,783 X 24,658 pixels or 1,474 megapixels. It took more than six and a half hours for the Gigapan software to put together all of the images on my Macbook Pro and the completed TIF file is almost 2 gigabytes.

Use the controls to zoom and pan around the photo. You can also double click to zoom in and double click again to get even closer.

http://www.davidbergman.net/blog/

Edited by Guest

How cool how many dollars?

I miss understood. How much is my wishful cctv giga pixal IP camera with software price? Is this what you are asking, or how much the robotic camera controller that is used to take the inaugural photo?

The GigaPan Robotic should be on CNN new around 530pm - 6pm.

You can see for yourself how the Inaugarul photo was taken with a Canon G10.