squale

GV800-8, no video display

I have my GV800-8 system installed with 2 cameras connected to it and I am getting no video through the software, all I am getting is a "Video Lost" signal for each camera... does anybody know why this could be? is there some option you must check for this to work?

SQaule , I hate to see your having troubles on your first go around ...

When I first received my Witness DVR card , I had no cameras at the house ... So I just took the outputs from what I had nearby to get some video signals into the card to test ... Example - My digital camera has an RCA video output .. So does my Camcorder, and I even ran the Video out from my Direct TV receiver into one of the BNC inputs on the cable to the card ... all of them just by using a simple RCA->BNC converter plug from RadioShack --- Think they actually call it a gold plated PHONO to BNC connector ... anyways ... I am sure you know what the connector is ... But have you tried a strong input signal from one of these types of sources yet just to make sure everything is working ok ???? Just a shot in the dark to hopefully help you out some ... I am sure someone will chime in that is familiar with the Geo card setup.

I could attatch a signal to an input that indicated NO SIGNAL in it's window and not a second later the video would pop-up ... same for removal .. I do not see why it would be any different on yours since they both seem to have a type of VIDEO LOSS monitor feature.

I think it is a problem with my power side of the 150foot cable. When I plug my camera directly into the transformer without using the extension cable I have fine video, no cut outs, etc... but when I use the power connection on the extension cable, then I usually have no video or if I do get video it cuts in and out..

I took a bunch of pics of the cable on the camera, extension cable, geovision connectors, etc... let me know if you think the extension cable is too thin and junky. Also let me know if you think the Power supply that came with the camera is too small, I know the cameras specs say it uses 130mA of power..

http://www.JKEVIN.com/CCTV_Wiring/GeoVision.zip

Are you using the cheap premade cable or did you use RG/UTP? The cheap cable is nothing more than that. Replace the cable with good cable or move the power supply closer to the camera.....if possible? First check the power at the end of the cable. If good, then the video side of your cable is bad. If you put your own connectors on, recheck them or retip them. I've also had success with using a larger adjustable power supply, like a 12vdc 6 amp......but those are costly and do not fix the problem. Use only as a temp fix. Good luck.

yes the video side of the cable is fine, it's definately the power side, and I the camera came with a 500mA transformer so I don't think that's the problem, it's just that cable.. this is the cable I am using... http://www.spytown.com/25footpremsi.html

What cable would you guys suggest?

I will need about 150ft for each of my 3 cameras...

Thanks

I'd say the cable is bad..........return it for a new one. And/or, consider making your own cables. You can get the connectors and tools need on-line and after making a few you can say your good at it. When I first started out I learned the hard way and ended up replacing ALL the cheap cable with good quailty RG-59 Siamese or good UTP with Balun's. There are no short cuts or savings in cheap cable. If you can, move the power supply closer and power with a seperate cable until you get it right?

yes I am getting new cable, what is the best connectors to get, screw on BNC's or crimp on ones? and how do I connect the power for the camera?

what tools do I need and can you point me to a link of where I can get all of this?

Thanks

Before you re reun new cable - use a meter to check the voltage at the DVR side. Forget plugging it into the DVR for now, just get a TV or monitor. Test the power and make sure you are getting 12 volts at the end of line. Then plug in each camera seperately to the TV/Monitor and see what you get. If they made that cable for 150' then it should work. Ofcourse with that thinner cable, if you bend it too much you can get intermittent video. (like flashing/flickering).

I am convinced it's the power side of the cable, I have tried each cable with each camera, and get the same issue, but when I plug the camera directly into the power connector it came with, I have no problems at all

yeh, but did you meter it at the end of line? You only need a $20 meter like the one i got from Sears. If you are getting 12 volts than there is no prob with the power..

I will have to get a meter, but even if I am getting 12 volts what amp rating do I need to be getting? my transformer for the camera is a 500mA rating..

what is an acceptable voltage drop? like if I am only getting 11.5 volts on the end of the extension cable is that still enough for the camera to work?

yes that is enough. though it depends on the camera. they are normally 10-40VDC for Traditional Cameras .. ill check the specs on that camera in a little bit. Just check for the voltage level VDC ..

whoops i havent installed Acrobat Reader yet ... will have to install that first ,..

most important thing after the power check, is plug the video cable from each camera individually into a monitor/TV at the end of line, before it goes into the DVR A video meter would also allow you to check the video signal at the end of line, but they are harder to find than a normal meter ....

manual actually sais 200ma. A drop of VDC up or down should not be an issue. Color cameras normally require 300ma, though as its a bullet ... I guess 200ma is fine.

so are you saying, the voltage can drop at the end of the line? by how much ?

is this power supply that came with these camera regulated by the way? or it is putting out the full 500mA all the time to each camera

The amount of voltage drop depends on the AWG and distance. While copper is a great conductor that doesn't mean it has no resistance, just a small amount of resistance.

150' is not an issue, I am powering an alarm keypad 150'+ away today, on 1 pair of cat5 and no voltage drop - its 12VDC by the way.

well to report back, I got a multimeter tonight and I tested that cable. 2 out of 3 of the cables put out 11.94 volts at the end of the 150ft run. I am also getting 11.94 volts straight out of the power supply, so I guess those 2 cables are fine. The 3rd cable well I am getitng NO VOLT reading at all out of the end, so I guess that cable is bad or something...

anyhow, I got the good stuff delivered today, Siamese RG59/U 18/2 cable made by Coleman. Now I just have to cut up the lengths and put the ends on.

So is it normal for the power supply to be putting out just under 12 volts, at like 11.94 volts which is what I am getting?