mike000

Non Active X CCTV DVR support

Hi all,

I am trying to source a decent quality DVR manufacturer that supports Apple Mac (safari) or Firefox browser web viewer connections. My research tells me that a large portion of the DVR market currently utilizes Active X in there web applications which is not good for Mac users.

This is fine for MS IE users but what I am seeing though is a increase in the number of Apple mac users.

I am hoping forum regulars may be able to guide me towards quality hardware that is not built with IE as the only option. Taking it one step further, maybe IPhone applications.

I Honestly I have looked and looked but have not come up with much.

Any advise or product direction would be greatly appreciated

You have failed your typing class!

I am sorry to report this to the dean. You will have to wait till next semester to continue this course.

There will be no refunds on tuition. You can however sell your book back to the bookstore as a used book.

The assignment was:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

This was to be repeated 100 times.

The assignment was:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

This was to be repeated 100 times.

LoL. Don't encourage him.

Not sure what the posts in this thread are all about. But the other "thread" he posted in is one of the cornyist attempts at spam ever. (Other then his other very similar attempt awhile back) I love how one "new" member in his other thread even said they didn't want to post a name on the subject because they didn't want it to look like spam!

Now in another thread he is all screwed up and forgot to change logins before answering his own question!

As someone who recently switched to mac, I feel your pain.

I'm not certain if you're after a DVR only or a complete solution, but Mobotix cameras (no DVR required) work well with nearly any browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Camino). It supports "server push" via jscript, java and ActiveX. ActiveX is required for audio support and MxPEG viewing. I use Safari 98% of the time for administering my Mobotix camera and use the free client on Parallels when I need to.

I have found the web server to work very well using the iPhone too and will be publishing some articles on that soon.

Thanks Scorpion I have looked at Avtech but am not confident with there build quality.

Monitor Your Assets the Mobotix range looks fantastic and I would love to read the Iphone report.

Unfortunately Mobotix isn't suitable for this job as Analog cameras have already been installed on site.

A better description of what I have in mind would be:

Standalone Hybrid NVR/DVR

4/8 or 16 port analog

With similar IP connection

H 264 encoding

Embeded software for stability etc

Built with network monitoring and playback in mind

CMS software that runs on MAC or PC

Browser access via IE or Firefox etc

Iphone support

What a dreamer I must be . Surely in this competitive market someone has the same idea.

familiarimbao1, or should I say sabrinakornel1, or is that ellatwo4 a request for a ban on your usernames has been put in place.

Multiple accounts, spam, and posting junk is not a good way to keep your account(s).

we already support mobotix on various cell phones including the iphone at www.totalcontrolapp.com in case anyone is interested. strictly mjpg at this point. rtsp support is currently in development.

we also support dvr via axis video encoders for the cell phones too.

Rob

Dedicated Micros uses Java for their web client... which IS nice (I'm a firefox user myself)... I just wish the video quality was better.

Dedicated Micros SD range looks good. I have spoken to the tech guys and the SD range DVR's have full apple support as the software is built with Java.

Any opinion's regarding DM quality??

Hey Sawbones, Ive been looking at this if your interested. www securityspy com

I was thinking of installing in a Mac Mini, hooking the old analog cameras in through a Axis 240 video server. Looks good on paper.

I currently have a 9-channel Dedicated Micros DS2 (Netvu version), and it's not a bad unit. It's an embedded system, it's very reliable, and the Java web-viewing client is lightweight and provides full functionality (you never have to use the console). It also operates my PTZ cameras just as well as anything else... but it's not without its faults.

In my opinion, the video quality could be better. It also is advertised to record 120FPS in whatever resolution, but attempting to push the FPS close to that limit causes the entire thing to bog down; the web interface becomes almost unusable.

Servicing them can be a hassle, and they will expect you to send the unit back to dedicated micros to service it. It also won't be cheap (I found their tech support to be less than stellar, particularly as an end-user... they really weren't interested in talking to me). I had a hard drive die in mine, and successfully replaced it myself, though it took me a while to figure it out (but I did, and in the process I successfully quintupled my storage space... so take THAT, DM!). I voided the warranty in the process, but I don't like having hardware that I can't tinker with.

It's also quite loud (the fans)... you wouldn't really want one in your workspace or office (mine is rack-mounted in a separate room in my home... it would be a painful distraction to have sitting next to you).

There are a bunch of little things that I dislike about it... including the fact that they expect you to run an open mail relay on your network in order to receive email from the unit (it won't talk to a mail server that requires any sort of authentication... which is fairly poor in this age of email SPAM). Also, until the latest firmware revision, it didn't even require any sort of password or authentication to view the web interface... not exactly something built with an eye towards network security. I found that a bit ironic for a security-oriented product.

Thanks SB, that is all I needed to hear. The problems you outlined would drive me nuts. I tell ya.. I am amazed at how difficult it is to find a suitable solution for this job. It seems 99.9 percent of DVR developers have not considered Apple support at all. It's crazy!!

Oh well I will keep looking.