azamtim

Screen capture as an IP Camera

Hi

Is there any software solution for this?

For instance I have a CCTV Geo based PC on the same network as EPOS PC. I need to get the screen capture from the EPOS and record it as one of the cameras on Geo system.

Any answers appreciated

Thanks!

I use a program called Capturewiz.....do a google. I use it to do screenshots and it does a lot more than..............

I use a program called Capturewiz.....do a google. I use it to do screenshots and it does a lot more than..............

How do you configure it to stream the video? I could not find any TCP port settings or anything....

I know DIGINET(kodicom) can use VNC as IP camera emulation but it has some bugs.

I believe geovision do a POS module, to link point of sale machines directly to geo. Not used it, but it is supposed to record transaction details on the image, and they are searchable so you can search for footage of cancellations, returns, whatever.

What bugs?

How do you configure it to stream the video? I could not find any TCP port settings or anything....

I know DIGINET(kodicom) can use VNC as IP camera emulation but it has some bugs.

I believe geovision do a POS module, to link point of sale machines directly to geo. Not used it, but it is supposed to record transaction details on the image, and they are searchable so you can search for footage of cancellations, returns, whatever.

Well, as I know it only does a text layer over some other video, for instance over the camera that looking at the till.

I'm more interested in the actual video of what happening on the POS

Thanks for the reply though.

What bugs?

Hello Jason,

I actually wrote you guys a couple of emails regarding this when I used to work at Subtotal.

The main problem that if you restart the POS the CCTV PC then fail to reestablish connection and stays as Screen Capture not connected untill you restart it as well.

The other problem that its keep crashing if you've got the VNC on the CCTV PC as well.

Also do you have a version of remote client that reestablish connection automatically? The problem that many customers have is when they try to watch several stores and it looses connection they have to reconnect manually and reenter username and password.

Like Geo CenterV2 has a constant monitoring with no user interfeirence .

thanks

Hello.

To do what you want to do, you need to get a VGA to NTSC (or PAL) video converter. Type in VGA2NTSCPRO on Google. This will turn you VGA single into a composite video signal that you can route via coax to your Geovision system. This will record everything that happens.

WARNING: Do keep in mind though that the quality will be a little poor, as the NTSC or PAL signal will not be as good as the VGA signal. I've seen a set up like this at a coffee shop, and you could get a general idea of what was going on with the POS, but the smaller text was not readable. You will want to play with the screen resolution options on that computer, to see what can give you the biggest text, and yet not have to scroll too much. The whole thing will be trial & error, you won't really know how it will look without having a converter to test it out.

Matt

Hello.

To do what you want to do, you need to get a VGA to NTSC (or PAL) video converter. Type in VGA2NTSCPRO on Google. This will turn you VGA single into a composite video signal that you can route via coax to your Geovision system. This will record everything that happens.

WARNING: Do keep in mind though that the quality will be a little poor, as the NTSC or PAL signal will not be as good as the VGA signal. I've seen a set up like this at a coffee shop, and you could get a general idea of what was going on with the POS, but the smaller text was not readable. You will want to play with the screen resolution options on that computer, to see what can give you the biggest text, and yet not have to scroll too much. The whole thing will be trial & error, you won't really know how it will look without having a converter to test it out.

Matt

Thanks for your reply Matt,

I'm aware of the hardware solution, what i asked for was the software solution to the problem. As sometimes its really hard to get the coax to the POS.

By the way fitting the Video Card with the AV out is cheaper than getting the converter

So I presume such thing dont exist. Well there's a chance to make money for the programmers than

You wrote:

" I'm aware of the hardware solution, what i asked for was the software solution to the problem. As sometimes its really hard to get the coax to the POS. So I presume such thing dont exist. Well there's a chance to make money for the programmers..."

I see what you are asking now. Yes, that would be a good invention. It would be sort of like turning your POS computer into a IP camera. You would get the higher quality. And because there is little video movement, recording it would take up very small amounts of storage space.

It is possible that now one will ever design such a thing, because most people will be perfectly happy with the serial output, assuming the software offers such a thing. You solution would be very helpful if you wanted more than just serial data, or if the POS software did not offer such.

I see what you are asking now. Yes, that would be a good invention. It would be sort of like turning your POS computer into a IP camera. You would get the higher quality. And because there is little video movement, recording it would take up very small amounts of storage space.

It is possible that now one will ever design such a thing, because most people will be perfectly happy with the serial output, assuming the software offers such a thing. You solution would be very helpful if you wanted more than just serial data, or if the POS software did not offer such.

I would not call it an invention, as DigiNet (kodicom) already using VNC server as ip camera source. I was wondering if there is something for GeoVision and other systems.