LIONCITY

RECOVERY OF LOST DATA

I AM new to the forum and new to CCTV --- I AM HOPING THERE IS A WAY TO RECOVER data FROM an ADEMCO AHDR 16-80 --- Of course, to make it even more challenging, it has been recorded over several times.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated,

Lion City

As an IT person, I can tell you that it is possible to recover broken/damaged hard drives. It is also possible to recover deleted files and drives that have been formated.

With special equipment you can sometimes recover data that has been written over once. Writing over data several times with random data (video) is basically wiping the drives. Using NSA type equipment you *might* be able to get it back but I think you would be looking at more like tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you think of the hard drive as a chalk board, and every time you write something new on the board you erase what is under it really well, and you are writing really small and with no spaces. The more times you do that the harder it will be to find the traces of the past letters. Hard drives think in black and white. The bit is either a 0 or a 1 (ok, if your a purist there are in between states that are used to pack more data into it, but the result is a 1 or 0 output). So take a picture of this chalk board and then fax the picture to someone. The very faint remains of the old letters cannot be seen as the fax only sees black and white. Special recovery equipment will scan the disk surface looking for weak remnants of the old data.

I know of a company that just spent well over 10,000 dollars to recover data from a mis-configured raid 5 array that lost the raid controller. I don't know a lot about recovering lost data, but these drives weren't even overwritten! So it's an expensive process to say the least. Insurance covered the costs.

Great analogy with the chalkboard...

I actually happen to be a data recovery expert, I've recovered dozens and dozens of drives, pm me an email address and I will try to help out tomorrow

Edited by Guest

It's a bird...

It's a plane....

It's super dopalgangr to the rescue!!