PoorOwner

microphone for residential?

If I add a microphone to the cameras monitoring the entry door and driveway of my own home, is it breaking any regulation or laws?

recording of video in any pubic area is good. recording of audio is bad, but.............I've never seen the issue pushed. Your talking private property........your home. I've given the courts video with audio from resturants (signs posted stated both video & audio) and nobody questions it.

But, if it were a high profile court case I'd bet that a fancy Laywer would jump all over it.

And, I've heard of some cases were Police try to push the issues of legality on both audio & video.

Bottomline, use but don't tell all unless you have to. I tell all my clients that if I put audio in that they should never tell anybody they have it. Listen and learn, act to information, but never tell anybody you "heard it on the grape vine" because you may get placed in a legal disposition yourself.

And as always, this is not legal advice, it's experience speaking. Aways consult a Lawyer on anything you may consider legally questionable. The best $50.00 bucks is usually spent on advice from a Lawyer.

Indeed, local legal advise is adviced for audio.

Remember, it will depend on where you live, different countries, different states etc can have different laws and local regulations.

Minimize the area where the mic can pick up sound.

Post signage everywhere. This way down the road no one can say they did not know there was audio recording!

As far as you can get from the mic put a simple fountain. This way you cannot record beyond this area. This will help with neighbor issues.

Mics on covered porches will catch the front door, and that may minimize other sounds.

http://www.cctvforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3465

Yeah, the law varies from State to State.

The way I see it is it comes down to expectation of privacy. If I'm on your front porch I have no expectation of privacy; if I'm a guest in your home using the bathroom I have an expectation of privacy.

Thanks for the link scorpion! LoL I had looked at Scruit's videos before, but missing that one.

Dammit, the board ate one of my posts again!

Yeah, you really want to check with local authorities on something like this, as the regulations will really vary.

Here in BC, for example, to my understanding, covert audio recording is legal and allowable anywhere... but it's only admissible as evidence in court if there were warning signs up.

Dammit, the board ate one of my posts again!

Sorry to hear that. It appears I'm not getting all my message notifications from the site either.