PKL-Lap

Using PC ATX power supplies to power up CCTV cameras?

Ok after replacing a power supply on a server for a client. A thought came up. Would it be adequate to use an ATX power supply to power up CCTV cameras? I'm thinking.. a 350w power supply.

Typical spec sheet: http://www.pctoys.com/840556000587.html

An average power supply comes with 4 x 12v leads and 2 x 5.5v leads. I don't know much about electronics. I don't think these PS are regulated. 12v leads are 16A max load. Any opinions?

IMHO migh be not so bad idea

AT supplies might even be better, since they can be always turned on

You can turn ATX power supplies on by shorting pin 3 and 4 if I remember exactly. Just have a custom switch. Nobody stocks AT power supplies anymore these days.

It be a nice experiment. Attached is to a UPS if you want. Or use a redundant ATX power supply.

Ok after replacing a power supply on a server for a client. A thought came up. Would it be adequate to use an ATX power supply to power up CCTV cameras? I'm thinking.. a 350w power supply.

Typical spec sheet: http://www.pctoys.com/840556000587.html

An average power supply comes with 4 x 12v leads and 2 x 5.5v leads. I don't know much about electronics. I don't think these PS are regulated. 12v leads are 16A max load. Any opinions?

Why??? 12 v power supplies come with alot of bullet and dome cameras, and if not, they are so cheap - i'd keep it seperate.

Best is a Regulated Fused output. Remember we are talking security systems.

You might also be able to use a blender. Just dissconect the power to the motor and connect it to the cameras instead. In that way you can give the cameras more power at night when it is dark.

It is a little scary but you can find a nifty little power supply that replaces a slot in the back of the computer and plugs in to the computers power supply. it has 8 terminals for power. I used a couple of these when I first started this business and powered 8 cameras with the computer (w/ 550w ps) that was set up for cctv. But then I thought better and decided not to use them any more. What if there is a short? check it out @ www.sonerik.com. I have a few left @ $20 each if you are interested.

Jay