petrolh34d

Enabling my cctv network to be viewed via internet.

I've recently set up a 16 camera network via a 16 channel DVR.

The instruction manual has been converted from Chinese into English and is very unclear about what I have to do to set up the network.

I have used the software installed in the DVR to assign a valid IP address and port to the DVR.

I am still unable to view the cameras using the relevant software on my computer.

The DVR is a Banbang dvr 7016v

To be honest I only have the slightest idea of what I'm doing,and would appreciate any adice anyone can offer me?

Thanks

It might help us to know the EXACT make and model of DVR, and what make and model of internet modem/router you're using, if any, plus what other steps you've taken so far - for example, have you tried connecting to the DVR via your LAN?

Sorry I wasn't sure exactly what I should've included.

I am using a Banbang DVR 7016 v-e, and I have it connected through a 2wire 2700hgv.

I have attempted to connect to the DVR via IE using the IP I had assigned to the DVR. I was able to get to a blank page with a close button on it. I enabled activeX, but the page did not change appearance even after I reloaded it.

Is there anything else I need to include?

Have you set up the portforward for your router?

You may not get video until you do so. I do not know if that is the problem, but it could be.

What port does the DVR use?

Do you have a www dot weblink dot com for the manual online?

I am now able to view the various different camera channels via my LAN.

What do I need to do now In order to be able to view the cameras on an external network via the internet?

Is it possible to do this without having a registered DNS?

If it requires a DNS, what is the best way to set one up?

Thanks

It SHOULD be as simple as setting up port forwarding on your router - just tell it in the proper section (sometimes called port forwarding, sometimes called "virtual server", sometimes something else) that the designated port routes to the DVR's IP.

Then from the outside world, you just connect to your router's real-world IP - you can look this up on a site like www.showmyip.com or www.ipchicken.com.

Dynamic DNS isn't generally NECESSARY if you can always remember that IP... it just makes it easier to remember. And it's a lot more convenient if your ISP changes your IP regularly, since cable and DSL IPs are usually dynamic and can change periodically (although most will assign you a static IP, usually for a small additional monthly fee).

I have successfully managed to forward the port that I have assigned to the DVR.

If I understand correctly, all I have to do now is enter my IP address into the address bar in IE.

I have done this, but it is not working.

Please advise

Thanks

you will need to enter your ip:port# something like 123.456.789.145:102

another note, you will need to do this from outside your lan

Ok, I get what you mean by IP: port#

e.g. 123.456.789.123:1111

Is this the correct way to type it, as I've tried it in a browser, and it did not bring up the pictures from the cameras.

Are you connecting to the DVR and just not getting cameras, or not connecting to the DVR at all? Do you get any error messages?

What browser are you using? If it's Internet Explorer, you have to be sure to preface the IP with "http://", because IE is brain-dead and if it's not on port 80, it doesn't know to try http (actually, it's good practice with any browser to always add the "http://" when using a port other than 80).

Are you connecting to the DVR and just not getting cameras, or not connecting to the DVR at all? Do you get any error messages? What browser are you using?

I am not getting a reply at all, justy an error message saying Internet Explorer could not load the page.

I'm using IE 7.0.6