Squiffy

Why integrated camera/IR illumination is best avoided

BTW, the camera in use here was just a cheap and cheerful CMOS camera temporarily mounted for test purposes, since been replaced by a CCD camera with separate IR illumination.

That is classic!

I love spiders (have my undergraduate degree in Zoology), and we have some members of the orb weavers in my area that produce huge, beautiful webs.

Unfortunately, they like to spin them in areas where insects congregate... and at night, that would be in front of your IR sources.

Another great reason to use illuminators.

I'm actually a spider phobic but they are amazing and their webs are extraordinary. The strength of the webs is quite amazing, I've expected some to be blown away by very strong winds but they usually survive it

Good video and explanation or what's going on (if others are unsure).

We have some new cameras with "anti cobweb" technology but I'm waiting to see it work!

Thanks,

John

Good video and explanation or what's going on (if others are unsure).

We have some new cameras with "anti cobweb" technology but I'm waiting to see it work!

Thanks,

John

"anti cobweb?" Do they come with a wasp nest or something?

Great video. I saved it to my favorites to send to clients as an example of why it is a better idea to go with a low light camera instead of an IR whenever possible.