nelson183

Cable Insulation

Hi,

I have recently installed a camera outside however I wanted to get some of that plastic ribbed tubing to run the wires through for protection. CAn you tell me where to look please?

Are you talking the split-loom type that you can slip over existing wiring, or the heavy grey stuff that's used for running wires in concrete?

Any building-supply store should carry either... the split-loom can also often be found at auto-parts stores.

Hi,

I have recently installed a camera outside however I wanted to get some of that plastic ribbed tubing to run the wires through for protection. CAn you tell me where to look please?

If you are looking for the blue corrugated plastic conduit made by Panduit you can find that at any electrical supply house or maybe Home Depot. If you simply want protection that is rigid you can just use inexpensive gray PVC electrical conduit. Again, Home Depot has all of this and the various fittings needed for a professional install.

hole depot or homeless depot.. hahaah definately not the place for pros..it's for hacks and illegals.

kind of an unwarranted statement. i mean, sure, you dont want to buy your cameras or anything at home depot , but they are great for wiring, connectors, conduit, crimpers, screws, drill bits, caulk, ladders, solder, various tools, etc etc that you would use to install your cctv system.

they're great for tools since they have them in-stock for a good price. I wouldn't buy cctv wire to save my life from home depot.

Problem I have with the hole-depots out in California is they permit/encourage illegals-daylabors to loiter in the lot and follow you around soliciting you to hire them for work or something.

i much prefer to deal with my local electrical supplier.

they permit/encourage illegals-daylabors to loiter in the lot and follow you around soliciting you to hire them for work or something.

interesting. i have never heard of that stuff going on at home depot. here in virginia, that doesnt happen at home depot (im there all the time. i am forever doing upgrades and renovations on my home).

i see what you meant now by "illegals" in your prior post. you had me confused. haha.

Don't get a whole lotta that at Home Depot here in .ca either. *shrug*

I generally prefer my main suppliers too, but each of them has one outlet in the 2800 sq. km (1100 sq. mi.) metropolitan region that we cover... whereas I'm never more than 20 minutes from a handy Home Depot.

hole depot or homeless depot.. hahaah definately not the place for pros..it's for hacks and illegals.

kind of an unwarranted statement. i mean, sure, you dont want to buy your cameras or anything at home depot , but they are great for wiring, connectors, conduit, crimpers, screws, drill bits, caulk, ladders, solder, various tools, etc etc that you would use to install your cctv system.

I agree that slowforthecones statement is unwarranted. I dislike Home Depot as much as the next person but we don't know the OP's status of whether he's an installer or end-user. If all he needed is a some conduit and water-tight boxes than we all can agree that Home Depot is the place for that. Let us not forget that not many "suppliers" are open all night or after normal business hours like Home Depot. Plus, I'm not sure most here know that Home Depot has a commercial division called HD Supply that caters to the "pros".

As for the "illegal" problem. This goes far beyond Home Depot and it is foolish blaming them. For all we know Home Depot is reporting the loitering of illegals every day but the call goes unanswered.

HD no longer owns HD supply, HD plumbing, etc. It use to be Huges or Hughs supply a few years back.

You are right about we don't know if the op is a installer or reseller. If you ever notice HD pro & HD do not carry all the proper rated fittings..i.e. they have compression concrete-tight but not compression rain-tight.

and yeah home depot is open late and around often after suppliers are closed and gone home.

HD no longer owns HD supply, HD plumbing, etc. It use to be Huges or Hughs supply a few years back.

You are right about we don't know if the op is a installer or reseller. If you ever notice HD pro & HD do not carry all the proper rated fittings..i.e. they have compression concrete-tight but not compression rain-tight.

and yeah home depot is open late and around often after suppliers are closed and gone home.

Well, HD, to me is more an emergency type store that will get your butt out of a bind when the normal distributors and either closed or too far away from the job site. I don't think many people would expect HD to have specialty products as they won't move from the shelves as quickly as the high demand items. That said, I wouldn't criticize HD for not carrying VFDs, PLCs, RS485/RS232 converters, UTP baluns, or any type of three phase equipment that is found in industrial applications.. Trust me, after buying a new toilet seat from HD and finding a used one covered with piss crystals in the box, I have lost all respect for them.

Well, HD, to me is more an emergency type store that will get your butt out of a bind when the normal distributors and either closed or too far away from the job site. I don't think many people would expect HD to have specialty products as they won't move from the shelves as quickly as the high demand items. That said, I wouldn't criticize HD for not carrying VFDs, PLCs, RS485/RS232 converters, UTP baluns, or any type of three phase equipment that is found in industrial applications.. Trust me, after buying a new toilet seat from HD and finding a used one covered with piss crystals in the box, I have lost all respect for them.

Probably an unfortunate side-effect of a lazy employee and a very liberal return policy...

An acquaintance of mine who used to work for Home Repot told me some very scary stories of things people were "allowed" to return. Worst example was the woman who brought in a very scuzzy, very obviously well-used, and very clearly NOT originally from Home Depot, section of drain pipe and fittings from her bathroom sink, claiming she'd bought it the previous day (she had the receipt!), and found that it was the wrong fit, and wanting her money back.

Well naturally, the CSR refused. The woman raised a fuss and wanted to talk to the store manager. He turned her down as well, pointing out that the piping was too used to have been bought the previous day, and that it was of a design they didn't even carry. She raised the fuss even higher, so he offered her a phone to call their "customer satisfaction" line. After several minutes of fussing at three different levels of management there, the verdict finally came down: take the pipe, give her the refund.

There were apparently stories of people getting entire kitchens for free as well. Similar ideas: order kitchen, have it installed, claim it's all wrong and you want your money back... something like that, it's cheaper for them just to refund and leave it there than to take it all back out again and then deal with storing or reselling it (everything is customized so it's not really usable for anyone else).