I would like to hear some feedback from people on the Mobotix camera line and NVR software. I signed up for the Mobotix training (Free Q24) and just watched as webinar on the capabilities of the camera and I was very impressed.

How easy is there software to use? Any one use the CAMIO?

Watch the video review one the Q24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqWds5BkLY

Live image (I don't know which camera)

scroll to the bottom image updates every minute

http://weather.portofpa.com/jwmweather.htm

M10(you can play back 1 image per hour last 24 hours, 1 image per day last 365 days)

http://www.mobotix.ro/ro/webcam_recordings_679.html

Found some good info here

http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/Support/User-Forum

Edited by Guest

You can download the software and play with it. It comes with dummy streams for the cameras.

I crashed it once I think after playing with it a lot. But otherwise, it was 90% intuitive.

Right,

Mobotix NVR software is good, however it is not designed for a novice user. The layout and gui is behind the times but once you get familiar with it its powerfull enough. It also supports a range of other manufactures cameras and is free, even if just used on non ptz cameras.

The mobotix cameras as good if used for the right situation, even with the colour only versions of the m22 you can get good night images without to much motion blur (with the right lighting of course)

However, you can reduce motion blur on mobotix cameras but I dont rate them for high speed environments. the same is true in my experience for arcount cameras.

Personally i would recommend the avigilon package as its better software with excellent cameras which are plug and play. they also work well under difficult lighting. I have found motion blur to be much better than other makes of mega cameras.

Mobotix can very much be fit for purpose, it depends on what that purpose is,

Cheers,

Monty Bravo

I think they are 2 different products. Mobotix has some very interesting VOIP and automation features that we are looking into. Also the Q24 camera with the fish eye lens and built-in NVR are very cool. The best part if this camera is you are recording the entire image and you can PTZ around the live and recorded footage.

Avigilon I think has better image quality but buy the time you put there cameras in housings and build an NVR you are going to be spending more money then a Mobotix setup.

How does the cost of Avigilon compare to Mobotix?

Camera pricing is very close, even after factoring in Avigilon License cost and a housing. Same for Avigilon Dome Camera + Software License cost.

People believe that if they are not paying a cost for software then it's free, this is rarely the case as most will have the software cost factored into the per camera cost.

Thanks. Is it a protected line? I see Mobotix advertised everywhere but not Avigilon (and hence my question on relative cost).

Their player is much more intuitive than Mobotix and I like the fact that they change the dynamic range on still frames to make the image more viewable (it would be nicer if they gave me control of that though).

I like the IR cut filter solution better than Mobotix which requires you to select color or black & white cameras seperately (or buy a dual-head one).

My application is the dome which they already have but they seem much taller than Mobotix which for residential applications, is a negative.

JPEG-2000 is better than MXPEG in image quality but less efficient.

Another negative is lack of online documentation as far as any SDK for third-party integration.

Thanks. Is it a protected line? I see Mobotix advertised everywhere but not Avigilon (and hence my question on relative cost).

Their player is much more intuitive than Mobotix and I like the fact that they change the dynamic range on still frames to make the image more viewable (it would be nicer if they gave me control of that though).

I like the IR cut filter solution better than Mobotix which requires you to select color or black & white cameras seperately (or buy a dual-head one).

My application is the dome which they already have but they seem much taller than Mobotix which for residential applications, is a negative.

JPEG-2000 is better than MXPEG in image quality but less efficient.

Another negative is lack of online documentation as far as any SDK for third-party integration.

I dont think Avigilon is a "protected line" however you don't see pricing spread all over the web.

Within the Avigilon client there is control of the dynamic range both for pre, and post recording (prior to exporting), also in the player you can control the Dynamic Range on not just the still images but the whole recording, simply right click on the image and click on "display adjustments". this is a very useful tool, especially on scenes with backlight issues. I have installed the 2Mpx and 5Mpx cameras in shopping malls where even Hi Res WDR cameras did not peform well, the Avigilon MPx cameras were exceptional.

Yes, the dome profile of the Avigilon is taller than the mobotix, however they now have many different dome mounting options including a recess kit.

Agreed, the image quality of JPEG 2000 is better than MXPEG but MXPEG uses less bandwidth. JPEG 2000 has additional benifits in terms of variable bandwidth for slower connections from server to client and speed of reviewing recorded footage. Also with JPEG2000 you dont have to send the whole data packets for viewing, only the required data packets for what is being viewed. ie if your only viewing the overall scene then only the front layer of the image data is sent. Also if you digitally zoom into the image only the required data packets for viewing that area of the scene are sent. Also nice with JPEG2000 is the ability to data age recordings over time to save on storage.

The Avigilon SDK is a .NET XML API so very useful for integration to many third party systems. Documentation comes with the SDK.

I do like the bi directional audio feature of Mobotix, certainly has a niche market with that feature. Avigilon is due to release Audio in V4, however I understand that it will be single directional for recording.

I am going to call my local Avigilon rep and find out more info.

But the one thing Mobotix has over Avigilon is the built-in NVR and the ability to record directly to a NAS. So without knowing the prices of Avigilon I would think Mobotix would be cheaper because you don't need the server.

I am going to call my local Avigilon rep and find out more info.

But the one thing Mobotix has over Avigilon is the built-in NVR and the ability to record directly to a NAS. So without knowing the prices of Avigilon I would think Mobotix would be cheaper because you don't need the server.

Just had a dealer do the sums for me.

M12 Dual Day/Nights

Snap Server (NAS)

POE Switch

Workstation for Viewing

Vs

Avigilon 3MP Domes Day/Night + IR Corrected 4-12mm Lenses

Avigilon 8 Channel 3TB Storage NVRWS

POE Switch

Avigilon Solution 20% Cheaper

Sure for a larger system that you would need the Avigilon Dedicated Server + additional Storage + a Workstation, They would be more comparable in price, Avigilon maybe a bit more. But they are not miles apart. You may be surprised.

Avigilon is well protected around here. You must go to a local installation company and be quoted on the installation of an entire system installed in your home.....only. No other way to purchase them online and such?

i have a q22 (i think it is q24 now). if you want to see some pictures let me know and i will send them to you. the ptz is vptz. i really only use the mjpg stream but the picture quality is fine for mobile phones which is what i use them on. in my opinion for the 30+ manufacturers we support their picture quality is in the top 5.

saw avigilon at isc west. their nvr software was well designed. you could instantly zoom in/out or pan/tilt on live and recorded video very quickly. picture quality was what you would expect from jpg2000. they were just starting to support other manufacturer's cameras also along with other codecs.

from the mobile phone perspective jpg2000 is not easily integrated like mjpg on mobotix. also .net is not directly compatible with most mobile phones so we had to pass on them for now for integration into our app although we do support straight streams on mobotix cams.

not sure about avigilon but mobotix has a sip client built into the q22 which will be interesting to integrate.

UPS man just dropped off a M12 at my door can't wait to play

C'mon Man! Your killing me here! What's taking so long?!..

Seriously though I'm looking forward to your take on this one.

UPS man just dropped off a M12 at my door can't wait to play

C'mon Man! Your killing me here! What's taking so long?!..

Seriously though I'm looking forward to your take on this one.

Complicated!!!!

Comes with 2 manuals one is 92 pages and the other is 288 pages.

The image is very nice but this camera is not for the beginner.

i have been using mobotix cameras for over a year and still haven't scratched the surface on everything the camera is possible of doing...and just like going to hd on your tv, you won't want to go back to analog 480rez after you have messed around with megapixel

TWG, what is the distance to the yellow sign for future refference? That's alot of pages to comb through! Never been a fan of manuals more of an automatic guy myself...

TWG, what is the distance to the yellow sign for future refference? That's alot of pages to comb through! Never been a fan of manuals more of an automatic guy myself...

I would suggest to ask about Horizontal distances of given object

( from left side to right side of the whole pix)

for example

his first pix of yellow sign is about 42 pix H

second pix about 22 pix H

and u can clearly see the difference

just my opinion

I would suggest to ask about Horizontal distances of given object

( from left side to right side of the whole pix)

for example

his first pix of yellow sign is about 42 pix H

second pix about 22 pix H

and u can clearly see the difference

just my opinion

First image is 3megs second image is 1.3 megs. And the children sign is about 50 yards away. The lens in the L43

3130 1.3mega night shot

(moonlight)

104245_1.jpg

(Quality) setting

104245_2.jpg

(Balanced) setting

104245_3.jpg

(Speed)

104245_4.jpg

(high speed 30)

104245_5.jpg

M12 1.3mega night (default setting)