robert

CAT5 with PoE running next to mains cable

IP camera being fed PoE via CAT5. Can it be placed right next to mains cable or it will give some problem?

IP camera being fed PoE via CAT5. Can it be placed right next to mains cable or it will give some problem?

That's a big, "it depends". How long will they be run together? How close together? How much current is the mains carrying? Is it loomex, or BX type cable?

Worst case, the interference causes network dropouts... fairly easy to diagnose.

Soundy also if he is in the USA he will have to follow NEC (National Electrical Code). I am not at my book at work so I am using brain cells but I think it is 3 inches seperation and you can not tie to the 120 volt or higher AC conduit. Thats for any low voltage wire and high voltage AC.

That's a big, "it depends". How long will they be run together? How close together? How much current is the mains carrying? Is it loomex, or BX type cable?

Worst case, the interference causes network dropouts... fairly easy to diagnose.

I want to know how long they can be run together with 220v cable. How close: 0 to 1 inch/2.5cm.

NEC code states 2 inches but it is a recomended that you stay 12 inches away and cross AC power at 90 degree angles also remember the larger the current draw on the AC wire the larger the inductive field around the wire.