thewireguys

Panasonic WV-NP502 images

Exacq has one on there demo server, so here is a day time image for you. I will check it later to see if it switches to B/W.

interestingly I think this is a 1.3 megapixel camera that can send 3megapixel images not video becuase I try to change the image size to 3 megapixel and 1280*960 is the highest image setting. I don't know if that is a Exacq limitation (with this camera) or the camera but after reading the spec sheet I am thinking its the camera.

106413_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks!

wow....I was hoping for better than that. Can't wait to see it setup properly. Hopefully this one was just slapped up there.

Well they have 8 servers setup with cameras from Acti, Axis, Arecont, Sony, Panasonic, Stardot plus various analog cameras. It's nice so you can see that the cameras work with the software but most of them look like they just plugged them in right out of the box.

Thanks!

wow....I was hoping for better than that. Can't wait to see it setup properly. Hopefully this one was just slapped up there.

What don't you like about this pix ?

Thx

I knida thought we should be able to read the legend and map that looks like it's 10 feet away at most. There is alot of pixelation on the drop ceiling tiles near the lights, also at the facia where the straight edges are sort of jagged.

Yes much better than an analog for sure! But with all the hype maybe I was expecting too much.... Maybe this will shine in the dark. Just my .02.

And is the left edge of that window really curved? This camera is lens specific no?

Everything is curved....

Edited by Guest

I knida thought we should be able to read the legend and map that looks like it's 10 feet away at most. There is alot of pixelation on the drop ceiling tiles near the lights, also at the facia where the straight edges are sort of jagged.

Yes much better than an analog for sure! But with all the hype maybe I was expecting too much.... Maybe this will shine in the dark. Just my .02.

And is the left edge of that window really curved? This camera is lens specific no?

Just for fun

open any mega pix in full res on your own comp.

let me know plz how do u like it ?

Just for fun

But I think from what I see here other cams I've used so far do better. Certainly less curvaceous. Night time will sing the praises of this one probably. 3 MP would make all the difference most likely too.

Scares me that the choice of lens is limited to what I see here...unless I'm mistaken about that.

All right I'll shut up now..

Just for fun

But I think from what I see here other cams I've used so far do better. Certainly less curvaceous. Night time will sing the praises of this one probably. 3 MP would make all the difference most likely too.

Scares me that the choice of lens is limited to what I see here...unless I'm mistaken about that.

All right I'll shut up now..

I posted a 3 MP image

I knida thought we should be able to read the legend and map that looks like it's 10 feet away at most.

Why ?

Think

how many feet do u have from left to right ?

how many pix do u have from left to right ?

Get my point ?

I knida thought we should be able to read the legend and map that looks like it's 10 feet away at most.

Why ?

Think

how many feet do u have from left to right ?

how many pix do u have from left to right ?

Get my point ?

Well I brought it into grid and I measure 7 pixels (I think) across for each letter in the bulleted portion of the Legend. Even the larger closer text that (I believe) says Commuter Rail on the top right that is closer and a touch larger is difficult.

Looks soft to me but I'm not an expert...yet

Am I expecting too much here? This is a 1000 dollar camera right?

Seriously though do I expect too much here?

It's difficult to judge without comparison images, but the dynamic range looks very impressive. But the most important test for me is moving objects in low light.

Best,

Christopher

It's difficult to judge without comparison images, but the dynamic range looks very impressive. But the most important test for me is moving objects in low light.

Best,

Christopher

Yes there is alot to like about this image. Judging from the moving mini van in the last pic there is a bit of blur though. I don't know if it is from motion (or how fast even) or the glass it is shown through but it is a moving object. Would suggest a slowish shutter speed I would think?

Everything is curved....

In the first place it is easy to correct images with barrel distortion, and in the second place, it's not that important. Are the police going to reject a positive ID because the image has barrel distortion?

The bright sunny sky, the white lines in the parking lot, and the shiny chrome bumper are not blown out, and yet we can see good images of the men while standing in the shadow. Amazing. Just a guess, but I'm willing to bet that's at least ten stops.

Too bad the night images are from within the building. Would love to see a dimly lit parking lot at night.

Best,

Christopher

I think this is a 1.3 megapixel camera that can send 3megapixel images not video becuase I try to change the image size to 3 megapixel and 1280*960 is the highest image setting.

It's a 3 megapixel sensor capable of producing 3 megapixel jpeg images. To create the video stream, neighboring pixels are combined to increase the dynamic range, resulting in a maximum 1.3 megapixel H.264 stream. That is why this camera could have great potential. If the extended dynamic range of this sensor works as well as advertised, the results could be impressive, particularly for scenes with uneven lighting.

Best,

Christopher

I think this is a 1.3 megapixel camera that can send 3megapixel images not video becuase I try to change the image size to 3 megapixel and 1280*960 is the highest image setting.

It's a 3 megapixel sensor capable of producing 3 megapixel jpeg images. To create the video stream, neighboring pixels are combined to increase the dynamic range, resulting in a maximum 1.3 megapixel H.264 stream. That is why this camera could have great potential. If the extended dynamic range of this sensor works as well as advertised, the results could be impressive, particularly for scenes with uneven lighting.

Best,

Christopher

I understand I was referring to the Exacq software. I was able to get the 3MP image but to me this is only a 1.3MP camera becuase it can't support h.264 at 3MP.

So far Mobotix still has a better daytime image and I will bet the 3130/M12 will have a better night image becuase of the dedicated sensor.

And the Mobotix camera will be around the same price if you have to put it in a housing plus no moving parts to fall.

Also I was reading up on IPvideomarket and they where not impressed with this camera.

to me this is only a 1.3MP camera becuase it can't support h.264 at 3MP.

So far Mobotix still has a better daytime image and I will bet the 3130/M12 will have a better night image becuase of the dedicated sensor.

So, by your logic, the 3130/M12 are 0 megapixel cameras, because neither has H.264, is that correct?

Best,

Christopher

Everything is curved....

In the first place it is easy to correct images with barrel distortion, and in the second place, it's not that important. Are the police going to reject a positive ID because the image has barrel distortion?

The bright sunny sky, the white lines in the parking lot, and the shiny chrome bumper are not blown out, and yet we can see good images of the men while standing in the shadow. Amazing. Just a guess, but I'm willing to bet that's at least ten stops.

Too bad the night images are from within the building. Would love to see a dimly lit parking lot at night.

Best,

Christopher

Yes maybe it isn't setup properly if like you said it is easy to correct for barrel distortion. I'm not used to seeing this on my 7 to 800 dollar cameras right off the wire. This is a lens flaw no?

I really think there is quite a bit of illumination of the men as the outer glass surface is highly reflective tinted glass type.Or maybe my thinking is bass ackwards too...

Time and more images will tell the whole tale on this one. Hard to tell with so little to examine. So far I'm just not feeling it for this camera.. At 7 to 800 dollars it would be better I think.

It's great to see some images come from this long awaited camera though!

Thanks TWG for posting these.

Yes maybe it isn't setup properly if like you said it is easy to correct for barrel distortion. I'm not used to seeing this on my 7 to 800 dollar cameras right off the wire. This is a lens flaw no?

It's a relatively common property of a wide angle lens for larger sensors. Zoom it in a little and the distortion will straighten. It's easier to solve this type of distortion with cheaper cameras because the sensors are much smaller which means less glass, which of course, means less sensitivity and more noise, which are far more important properties than barrel distortion.

A $6 pin hole camera may have straight lines in bright sun light, but good luck getting a burglar's ID in dim light. Could you ID those two men in the 502 images? That's what is really important. I've seen images from cheap security cameras. No barrel distortion, but it was hard to tell the gender of the burglar, much less ID them.

Best,

Christopher

Could you ID those two men in the 502 images? That's what is really important.

Well to be honest I don't think I could. Look at 16:32:30 and 16:32:32. I mean from a small pool of possibilities I would be able to assume who that would be. But at a random location and situation where the perp could be anyone in the city or county or state etc. I'm not sure it would be enough? And this being al of what, say 12 feet away?

Enhancement techniques maybe? I'm no CSI guy for sure....

My wife and I were looking through the photo album recently after delivering my daughter to first year of college. She shows me a picture of her and my son standing there together holding hands in front of a tree on vacation while very young. Brought back the memories entirely. Good thing it wasn't the only identifying photograph we had if there was an obduction and such. You couldn't tell anything about them really.