wax

Is Geovision any good?

they are one of larges and most well known around the globe

if you are unhappy with whatever geovision stuff you have it's probably because it's counterfeit

Frankly speaking, a lot of professional security products manufactures have choosed its software. Especially the DVR Card, employed the geovision chipset.

yes geo is great,

I have a 1120 that's been running 16 cams flat out for years

and has not missed a beat, the PC died once not the card !

Well, we inherited a bunch of GV sites, and I've run into one issue with a GV800 card that I think points to poor design: I had one camera (channel 11) that was noisy and intermittent because of a poor crimp connection, and every time it would drop out, one of the adjacent cameras (channel 15) would drop out as well. If the machine rebooted with that camera down, the other two channels on the same "column" (channels 3 and 7) would take an extra 30-60 seconds to come up as well.

This is something I've never seen with the ComArt cards used by Vigil and VideoInsight, and IMHO, a problem on one channel SHOULD NOT be adversely affecting THREE other channels.

Well, we inherited a bunch of GV sites, and I've run into one issue with a GV800 card that I think points to poor design: I had one camera (channel 11) that was noisy and intermittent because of a poor crimp connection, and every time it would drop out, one of the adjacent cameras (channel 15) would drop out as well. If the machine rebooted with that camera down, the other two channels on the same "column" (channels 3 and 7) would take an extra 30-60 seconds to come up as well.

This is something I've never seen with the ComArt cards used by Vigil and VideoInsight, and IMHO, a problem on one channel SHOULD NOT be adversely affecting THREE other channels.

Possibly, though one thing to note is that GeoVision is the software developer, while a card manufacturer, from last I checked was S. Korea, makes the cards. Still though from what Ive seen and used its one of the best around. That said Im not too happy with 8.3, they are kind of like Microsoft, it just keeps getting slower (needing a faster PC). I am looking around at others now. Nice thing with Version 7.xx it would fly on a celleron system, 8.xx changed that, and 8.2+ is even worst. Though I did an 8.12 on a celleron recently (upgraded from version 6.xx) stripped down XP and tweaked and it runs great. I know one thing though If I lived in the US i could make a fortune online reselling super fast tweaked Geo DVR systems.

Hi!

Geovision is a very good software company! When I say that I mean that the Geovision software is good. The DVR cards is in my opinion not so good when looking at price vs output even if they have lowered their prices with around 25% a few months back.

I you want to have a good Geovision system you should use the following cards:

GV-800/4 for 4 cameras

GV-1240/8 for 8 cameras

GV1480 for 16 cameras

or even better:

GV-2004 for 4 and

GV-2008 for 8

The 3 first cards is what Geovision calls real time cards meaning they will give you 25 frames per channel, but that is only when using them in CIF recording resolution and who wants/needs CIF only?!

The last 2 cards is real REAL TIME cards, that will give you 25 frames per channel in 4CIF resolution as well!

But all Geovision cards is software based and they will use CPU/Memory resources a lot. Even the Geovsision hardware compression cards uses CPU/Memory resources in a higher grade then other hardware cards on the market.

For best video quality vs price I would look into Hikvision based DVR systems, but it is harder to find software that justifies the quality of the cards. It is a dream if one day could have Hikvsion cards video quality with Geovision software quality. It is like you dont get both anywhere!

In fact we have tested on a few clients and sold them Hikvision based DVR now and from January we will send out a replacement program to all our Geovison customers to change to new Hikvision based DVR, because what we see, when you really need the DVR system it is always one thing that is more important then anything else, either it is functons or layout or functions in the DVR, when you really need it it is only the recorded video quality that counts! I would say that the quality of rhe video recorded is 80 % of the system

JD

Possibly, though one thing to note is that GeoVision is the software developer, while a card manufacturer, from last I checked was S. Korea, makes the cards. Still though from what Ive seen and used its one of the best around.

Well, Vigil and VI are just the software developers too - both use near-identical cards built on ComArt chipsets (in fact, I've plugged a VideoInsight card into a Vigil DVR and had it "just work"). It's not a factor of the software in this case, but what to me is a design flaw in the hardware. It may or may not be a failing of the Conexant chip design itself, or it might just be the implementation of them on the cards GV uses.

That said Im not too happy with 8.3, they are kind of like Microsoft, it just keeps getting slower (needing a faster PC). I am looking around at others now. Nice thing with Version 7.xx it would fly on a celleron system, 8.xx changed that, and 8.2+ is even worst. Though I did an 8.12 on a celleron recently (upgraded from version 6.xx) stripped down XP and tweaked and it runs great. I know one thing though If I lived in the US i could make a fortune online reselling super fast tweaked Geo DVR systems.

Funny thing, the oldest Vigil systems we have in place are P4/2.4GHz-based machines mostly running some level of version 4 of the Vigil software... and despite it not being "recommended" by Camacc because of performance concerns, we have put version 5 on some of those systems and had it run just fine, no bogging or slowdowns. They've got some pretty efficient code going on there!

Well, Vigil and VI are just the software developers too - both use near-identical cards built on ComArt chipsets (in fact, I've plugged a VideoInsight card into a Vigil DVR and had it "just work"). It's not a factor of the software in this case, but what to me is a design flaw in the hardware. It may or may not be a failing of the Conexant chip design itself, or it might just be the implementation of them on the cards GV uses.

Ive looked at the Comart SDK, its okay but I still preferred the one that Geo uses. Comart is widely used though. Also the cards with SDK are much cheaper, not saying that means its not as good. In fact its probably better for developers and hence why people like VI use it.

Conexant is only on some Geo cards as far as I know.

I cant speak for VI as they wont sell their cards/software to anyone but Americans. Kind of sucks if you ask me.

Ive looked at the Comart SDK, its okay but I still preferred the one that Geo uses. Comart is widely used though. Also the cards with SDK are much cheaper, not saying that means its not as good. In fact its probably better for developers and hence why people like VI use it.

Conexant is only on some Geo cards as far as I know.

I know Vigil DOES use other cards besides the ComArts... we have one of their "Pro Series" machines in one site, and the card, its connectors, and its behaviour in the system is quite different. No idea offhand what it's built on, but it's a 960fps/32-input beast.

I cant speak for VI as they wont sell their cards/software to anyone but Americans. Kind of sucks if you ask me.

They have no problem selling to Canadians!

I don't use the cards/software combination typically, but do install their DVRs and NVRs.

I've had very good experiences with the DVR for analog.

I had a couple of could-be-better experiences with their first version of the NVR. Trying to run the full allotment of cameras on the NVR (all at MP resolution) was unsuccessful.

My experiences with the second version of the NVR (with the i7 intel quad processors) has been super.

Also, the control center software makes it really easy to manage multiple NVRs/DVRs and you can also use it to set up some pretty snazzy command center displays. Aside from being useful for a command center, it is also useful for the sites where I have DVRs/NVRs in multiple buildings, and for customers with multiple sites. It allows you to basically do the same management functions remotely that you could do right at the DVR.

Anyhow, I like it. I had a concerning "bump" in the road with the first round of NVRs, but that seems to have been resolved by significantly upgrading the hardware to i7 with more RAM, and some changes in the software.

Geovision DVR Card's are one of a kind. They are mostly used DVR Card.

And they are now introducing 32 Channel software

Geovision DVR Card's are one of a kind. They are mostly used DVR Card.

And they are now introducing 32 Channel software

Only three years behind the rest of the industry...

Good Day,

It all depends on what you are trying to do. IF you don't mind me asking what are you trying to do so i can tell you?