magicray

Help with A DVR CARD -= KMC =-

Hi -

I'm looking out for a DVR card thats cheap and has good frame rates. Anyhow I came across a series of cards from KMC. The model that I specifically need some tips/help on is the KMC-8800 (8CH REAL Time DVR CARD) 240FPS. Some specs could be found on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5736784785&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Here is also another link http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Wai01RsplPIJ:www.securitycameraworld.com/YTech_DVR_Boards.asp+Engine-K+compress&hl=en&client=firefox-a

I also noticed that the cards are using H.264 and not MPEG - it seems this is a new standard. But is it better than mpeg?

If anybody has experience with these cards or can tell me some short comings of these cards from the specs I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Oright so lets say there Knockoffs - wouldn't it be like saying I bought a ATI card from a different company rather than ATI itself. I mean the chips and pcb diagrams are the same, so what is it that makes a kockoff not worthy.

Also I noticed this person has many positive feedbacks.

thanks

Kodicom KMC cards are very touchy with CPU components and most likely isn't the intended software you would get from a true KMC-8800 card. We get calls everyday about KMC cards purchased on E-Bay and mainly from Hong Kong or China everyday that are not working properly. We can not troubleshoot for them and you will have a fun time trying to get a hold of the seller if there are problems. Second, anyone can have good feedback on E-bay because its occurs right after a sale, due to quick shipment and customer service, but you don't hear about the problems caused in the end after installing the card.

I'm just providing you with some advice. These cards usually cost a couple of hundred dollars more than what they are charging.

As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"

while we are on knock off cards ...

saw a client today that has a supposed GEO system, they dont know which one it is, but the book has several versions in it, such as FPS per different version, different setup or something for each or some of them ..

Anyway, the book does not say GEO VISION ... they are having nothing but problems with it ..problems recording, software and XP issues, etc. Software sais version 6.0 ..is this a knock off or do they just not print the name on the book??

Rory

Oright so from everything I see - there are problems with Knockoffs. So other than geovision what other card is there for a budget minded person. Looking for 15 fps on 7 cameras.

on a side note, since there are alot of dealers in this forum why dont you just make your own hardware and software (ofcourse alot of money is involved but than you would have an OEM that could be YOUR OWN). I dont imagine theres is alot involved, since alot of other companies are making knockoffs. From what I gather "conaxent"[sorry dont know the name] is the video processor for each channel and the rest is up to the hardware engineers to figure out.

I'm just feed up with people who are selling knockoffs and manufactures/dealers who sell at outrages prices. Its its just impossible for a VIDEO CARD PROCESSOR for 8 channels to cost $800 when an ATI / GEFORCE graphic card with 3D mathematical capabilities, with most of them 10 layers of PCB and other amazing features to cost ALOT less than that. So there is a great monopoly in this market. Sorry for the rambelling i'm just feed up.

You're paying alot for the software such as the DVR system software.

$800, Hmm, a high end stand alone DVR is more in the area of $2300 for 10 channels .. but then you are paying for the RTOS and the microcomputer hardware, design, and manufacturing..oh yeah, and the name

I-view is not expensive though, and there are even cheaper ones.

Just buy 2 4-channel cards and stack them, if you really want PC based.

Yes, but time spent on programming the software for the hardware ..its a whole other world ..

Im fed up paying $20 for 6 Budweisers, $4 a gallon of gas, and it sucks I had to pay $35K for my jeep cherokee XJ .... not to mention .. $7 for a bottle of Orange Juice, and $6 for a twist on BNC connector!

Rory

LOL - yeah that is true.

Oright so basically it comes down to buying a DVR card I should look at a BRAND name and stay away from knockoffs?

thanks for everyones input.

LOL - yeah that is true.

Oright so basically it comes down to buying a DVR card I should look at a BRAND name and stay away from knockoffs?

thanks for everyones input.

Well, what I do for any DVR, is make sure to test the network software first.

Look at all the documents you can for them, if they are legit they should come with a PDF online at the least, even if they dont provide a software demo. If you find one, check google and see if others are selling it, check the manufacturer site if you are daring .. and post the brand in here and someone will know what it is ..

Also, what is actually good with a PC card, is you can buy a 4 channel card, and see if you like it or not, if you do, then buy another and stack them, for 8 channels, or so on .. OR, if you dont, sell it to a friend at cost and check another one .. We have been doing that with Stand alone DVRs also .. only more costly with the 16 channel versions... cause we cant stack them, then add 45% Customs Import tax and $150 shipping .. well you know ..

Rory

Buying a knockoff card is like buying windows on a CD-R. It's piracy plain and simple. When you buy an NVidia card from Asus, Asus has licenced the tech. They have paid for the techonology they are using. Second, comparing a capture card to a graphics card is like comparing an SGI workstation to a Dell dimension. One is a highly specialized part, the other is a consumer part. I am doing alot more sales now, and I know what our margins are, and I assure you that they are not huge.

Thomas Thanks for ur reply

I actually did visit ur site and loved the camera system setup.

Buying a knockoff card is like buying windows on a CD-R. It's piracy plain and simple. When you buy an NVidia card from Asus, Asus has licenced the tech. They have paid for the techonology they are using. Second, comparing a capture card to a graphics card is like comparing an SGI workstation to a Dell dimension. One is a highly specialized part, the other is a consumer part. I am doing alot more sales now, and I know what our margins are, and I assure you that they are not huge.

Rory, if you think the Geo card is a counterfeit why not go to the Geovision site & look at http://www.geovision.com.tw/002/en/news_updatesonpiracy.htm

I don't know if it will be of any use to you but its worth a look.

Dont know, I didnt have access to the hardware. But there was no brand name on the manual, is this normal?? Like it didnt say GEO, it just said Users manual.

Rory, this is normal to leave out the mfg name on packaging or manuals - so you can put your campany logo on it and sell it as your package solution.

Rory

You can either get Geovision in a Geo box with everything marked up with Geovision, or they will supply it in an OEM kit that comes in a white box & has nothing on the manual. You can then build your system, change the interface slightly & add your own name to the product just like as Sentry360 said.

ok just checking. Ill try to get a look at the card on Monday when they open, as that seems the best way to find out.

Just down here yah never know, since we are the knockoff land of the west indies, everything comes from china.

They have their IT guy dealing with it right now anyway, as well I dont have the time, plus they wont pay me for the time to figure it out. The PC has issues so thats where alot of the time is being spent.

Thanks

Rory

Well, getting back at the actual topic at hand.........

I-view is pretty inexpensive when you look at other reputable manufacturers of dvr cards.

The I-view, 120fps, 8 channel cost 499.99, compared to the GEO v800, 8 channel, going for around $650 and up.

An don't compare a 3D processor Video display with a DVR card, the cost of the DVR card is not so much with the card itself, but with the software, it cost a lot of R&D to develop a quality MPEG4 compressor for a piece of software that's supposed to run 24/7 without a hitch, expecially when you depend on it to be your "eyes" when you are not looking.

You have to factor in how much you value whatever you want the camera to see when purchasing a security system, because is during those 30 seconds that something happens, is when you are going to realize just how much that little $500 DVR card is worth.

take a look at the I-view:

http://www.shscomputers.com/catalog

if you have any questions, send me a note at:

hermin@shscomputers.com

Thanks for bringing the topic back - and the help. we'll decide soon enough.

Well, getting back at the actual topic at hand.........

I-view is pretty inexpensive when you look at other reputable manufacturers of dvr cards.

The I-view, 120fps, 8 channel cost 499.99, compared to the GEO v800, 8 channel, going for around $650 and up.

An don't compare a 3D processor Video display with a DVR card, the cost of the DVR card is not so much with the card itself, but with the software, it cost a lot of R&D to develop a quality MPEG4 compressor for a piece of software that's supposed to run 24/7 without a hitch, expecially when you depend on it to be your "eyes" when you are not looking.

You have to factor in how much you value whatever you want the camera to see when purchasing a security system, because is during those 30 seconds that something happens, is when you are going to realize just how much that little $500 DVR card is worth.

take a look at the I-view:

http://www.shscomputers.com/catalog

if you have any questions, send me a note at:

hermin@shscomputers.com

The PC anywhere like server thing is really cool! Can totally work on the PC from anywhere and its flying these days on Cable.

Actually, the main price difference came form fact that video cards are mainstream product, and DVR card isn’t.. Software costs just add up to this fact. It is considerably cheaper (per unit) to produce 10 milions than 10 thousands.